997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

help!!! car wont start. battery is dead. cant jump it!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 PM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
do you know where the actual relay is located on a 997 ?
My tech said it was behind rear seats.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...s-convertible/

Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for your issues-
i'm not sure where relay is- you may want to check the fuse(s) for fuel pump- 997TT has two for fuel pumps- if i recall when i change the oil i take them out to crank for few seconds- believe they're D1 & 2 but ck the sheet in the fuse compartment.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
we determined its not the fuel pump / relays.
the alternator is working ok too.
its electrical.

like i said, last night the PCM system was going crazy (but the car drove completely fine). every 20-30 seconds the PCM would turn on and off.... i pulled over. turned the car off for 5 minutes, turned it back on and it was ok.

im wondering if it is a coincidence that the PCM went crazy last night and my issues today ??

Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
What did the Durametric say? I experienced the PCM going ape $hit when my 996TT's alternator was dead and it the battery was powering the car and running out of juice. But your situation might be different since you were able to start the car again.

Regardless, subscribed.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
It's true a dead battery can all kinds of crazy things to happen ,have you tried putting another battery in yet.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Steve....when the car is driving...and you electronics go crazy...check the alternator....might be going bad....can't think of anything else...

Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
997TT's don't have a volt gauge ... unlike the 996's ....Durametric it is ..

Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
durametric showed about a ton of errors..
every category had an error, seats, pcm, awd, electronics, tpms, everything except engine.

im guessing thats from the dead battery ?

i havent tried a new battery yet. the car is at the shop.

no errors came up for the alternator, but i did get several error codes for undervoltage, something about the CAN system, etc etc. but i think all this came from the dead battery. when i cleared the codes and started the car nothing came up.

brooklyn, just the PCM went crazy. but it did it before, and some of the other guys said it goes crazy sometimes. everything else worked fine, a/c, lights etc were fine.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Swap out the battery.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Principle of Occam's Razor applies - start with replacing the battery. These cars go wacky when the battery gives out or starts to give out.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Any chance you used the actual Key to lock or unlock the car? Perhaps the factory alarm fuel cut off is still somehow engaged? Sounds like it bc the fuel pumps are no running. Try locking and unlocking with the key in driver door or with the remote.

Or perhaps the Alarm Fuse is loose or bad?

I am no tech, but I have had that issue on my other non P cars in the past.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSF721
Any chance you used the actual Key to lock or unlock the car? Perhaps the factory alarm fuel cut off is still somehow engaged? Sounds like it bc the fuel pumps are no running. Try locking and unlocking with the key in driver door or with the remote.

Or perhaps the Alarm Fuse is loose or bad?

I am no tech, but I have had that issue on my other non P cars in the past.
No alarm-related fuel cutoff on 997...but maybe there is a problem with the immobilizer transponder - did you try another key??

Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM
didnt try another key but i will.good idea.
gonna swap the battery also

Old 08-24-2014, 03:42 PM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Like i said, swap the battery before doing anything else.

Originally Posted by Steve K ny
didnt try another key but i will.good idea.
gonna swap the battery also

Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that Steve. Hope its gets sorted out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help!!! car wont start. battery is dead. cant jump it!!