997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Tip vs 6 speed from a roll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by A418t81
The tiptronic auto trans is a regular old automatic transmission. It is a torque converter, planetary gearset auto....those have been around 80 years. As far as drivetrain losses, a regular old auto/AWD setup will have a substantially higher drivetrain loss than a manual trans setup. Every. Time. This is fact. Fight it all you want.

Also, if you knew anything about performance software, you would know that "no lift to shift" options on the manual trans cars keep the throttle plate WIDE open on the shifts. You keep the throttle pegged to the floor and simply press the clutch in and shift. Boost usually falls 4-6 psi from peak. In this case, the boost would drop to somewhere around 12 psi during the shift and nearly instantaneously be back to peak at around 17-19 psi. That is a far cry from going totally into vacuum and then building back up to full boost after a regular shift. It also makes a HUGE difference in the acceleration a manual trans turbo car.

Finally, if I wanted a tip, I would have gotten one. I wouldn't buy a sports car like an 911 to buzz around like I was in a Caddy. The market also agrees, which is why the tip cars languish on the used market for months, and then sell at a large discount compared to their manual trans peers.
Yet one tuner has figured that out. ONE End of the day the tip is more consistent and faster. Unless you are paper racing which is what you like to do.
And you have a regular old manual according to your description. You go on about paper loses over and over and over and over. Yet the fastest 911s are tips. So great you are putting 100% more hp down, HAPPY? yet are still getting consistently beat.

Tips are still faster on the track because put them in M and they will not upshift on you.
I love your reference to a Caddy. CTS-V or what? You love your six speed, good on you, but quit bashing a faster car. Fight it all you want the tip is faster than your car.

Find me a tip for sale on this board. They dont exist, in fact they sell very fast because no one wants a six speed EVEN on a site where its geared TO the six speed! just because a guy lists his 6sp for 75k doesnt mean he gets it. In fact I am seeing the 6spd discounted greatly.
Why? because less and less people grew up with a manual. Then they want the best performing car, that puts the same number down every time. So drink your kool aid , im sure its tasty. Honestly the ONLY place you are going to sell a 6 speed fast is on these boards and you need to get lucky.

Last edited by Squat; 10-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Beating somebody by 2-3 car lengths in a 1/4 mile race is definitely NOT 2-3 seconds unless the cars are traveling about 10mph. At 125+mph a car length isn't even a tenth of a second difference.

This whole thread is insane to read. If the OP has a medical issue, then the TIP is the better choice regardless of which is faster. With that said, I'm horrible at launching my 6-spd so I'd probably lose to most "fast" cars in a short race.
who is hitting 125 at the 1/8th pole? Im curious? The posts he made before lead me to believe he runs a 2-3 second pretty early and thats as close as they got.
People arent hitting 100+ till past the 1/8 pole but yeah i was a bit generous on the car length.