997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Front bumper removal- problem with electrical connector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Franc01 has a spectacular aura aboutFranc01 has a spectacular aura about
Front bumper removal- problem with electrical connector

Hi,

This past weekend, I removed the front bumper to install a set of LED DRL lights as replacements for the turn signal spars on my '08 997tt. As some of you may know, bumper removal requires unplugging the large multi-lead connector behind the passenger fender. The problem I ran into was that the connector did not want to re-connect. I had plugged and unplugged it a few times during the testing process and when I finally had everything just right and had reinstalled the bumper, it just would not click back together. I checked the alignment of the male and female prongs and everything seems to line up OK. Has anyone had this problem with electrical connectors? I have been working on cars and bikes for years and have never had an electrical connector that won't go back together so I am stumped. My local P-car independent suggested I try to pry out the rubber seal in the connector as this may be the physical block that I am hitting. No amount of "tweaking" the angle at which I pushed the two parts of the connector would allow it to click back together. With the connector back together as far as it would go, there is no current crossing the terminals so I figure there's no contact at all.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Franc

Old 10-07-2015, 02:48 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Shine a torch into both female and male connectors on the car and bumper side, and check for bent/broken connection pins or something causing a blockage. Can't imagine it's anything else.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by nzskater
Shine a torch into both female and male connectors on the car and bumper side, and check for bent/broken connection pins or something causing a blockage. Can't imagine it's anything else.
I did check both connectors, and counted the prongs. It looked like they corresponded on both sides to the number of wires in the connectors. The interesting thing about the connector is that there are two sizes of prongs, the central ones are wider and the peripheral ones are smaller. When I was examining them to make sure that a bent pin wasn't catching the connector, they all seemed to be well aligned and were all the same length. I will look again. You never know.

Thx,
Franc

Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Franc01
I did check both connectors, and counted the prongs. It looked like they corresponded on both sides to the number of wires in the connectors. The interesting thing about the connector is that there are two sizes of prongs, the central ones are wider and the peripheral ones are smaller. When I was examining them to make sure that a bent pin wasn't catching the connector, they all seemed to be well aligned and were all the same length. I will look again. You never know.

Thx,
Franc
Can you take a photo, or photos? May help people on the forum assist... Is it oriented correctly?

DC

Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 AM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
Pictures would definitely help us help you....
Did you check the locking latch on the plug?
I am pretty sure that the plug has a slide-lock on it.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by matt2ace
Pictures would definitely help us help you....
Did you check the locking latch on the plug?
I am pretty sure that the plug has a slide-lock on it.
I did not check to see if there is a locking side latch on the connector. The locking tab that you push to open it was definitely moving, and in fact it wasn't even getting to the point where there was contact between the locking tab and the little nipple on the other side of the connector. As requested, I have attached a pic of the connector from the bumper removal PDF that is on this site:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...4&d=1359564582

Unfortunately, I put everything back together including the splash shield for now so that I could drive the car in an emergency. She has been sitting at home, since I have no front lights right now besides the headlights. And I am sure that I was orienting the connector properly, as it will only go together one way due to the D shape of the inside of the connector.

Thanks again,
Franc

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	429955  
Old 10-08-2015, 10:48 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
I did not check to see if there is a locking side latch on the connector. The locking tab that you push to open it was definitely moving, and in fact it wasn't even getting to the point where there was contact between the locking tab and the little nipple on the other side of the connector. As requested, I have attached a pic of the connector from the bumper removal PDF that is on this site:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...4&d=1359564582

Unfortunately, I put everything back together including the splash shield for now so that I could drive the car in an emergency. She has been sitting at home, since I have no front lights right now besides the headlights. And I am sure that I was orienting the connector properly, as it will only go together one way due to the D shape of the inside of the connector.

Thanks again,
Franc
Haha....That is a picture from one of my DIY PDF's. Understand you put it back together. I think we all know WHICH plug you are referring to...The picture that would help is YOUR plug, so we can assess what is going on.

If you take it back apart and have a picture, perhaps someone can help you out. Only other suggestion is make sure it is really snapped together tight..they are fickle.

DC

Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
Those connectors are a VERY tight fit. They have to be weather tight so it does take firm, but careful effort to push them together. It can be a bit intimidating to push very hard of the connectors while worrying that you are going to damage pins or are doing something wrong.

My first try with my turbo went very slow to be sure I got it right. When I did my 06 Cayman, it went easier because I knew just how much you need to push to get these connectors to snap together.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:03 PM
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that I probably plugged/unplugged that connector at least 5 times during the process and it wasn't until the last time that it wouldn't come together. I will post a pic of my connector once I get a chance to pull the splash shield off. I was pushing pretty damn hard due to my frustration but no go. I considered using padded channel lock pliers to generate some real force but didn't for fear of breaking the plastic or bending the pins.

Thanks, DC, for that how-to as well as all of your other guides!

-Franc

Old 10-08-2015, 02:33 PM
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that I probably plugged/unplugged that connector at least 5 times during the process and it wasn't until the last time that it wouldn't come together. I will post a pic of my connector once I get a chance to pull the splash shield off. I was pushing pretty damn hard due to my frustration but no go. I considered using padded channel lock pliers to generate some real force but didn't for fear of breaking the plastic or bending the pins.

Thanks, DC, for that how-to as well as all of your other guides!

-Franc
No Problem. I recall on the Turbo and Boxster S a few times in haste I thought I had it all plugged in and it looked tight, only to realize later, I did not snap it tight and had error lights and various items not work...That is why I suggested making sure it is aligned and tightly snapped together...

Good luck,
DC

Old 10-11-2015, 03:47 PM
So I figured out the problem. On the male (smaller side) the entire purple part with the prongs had slid over inside the black plastic shell by a few mm and it was just out of alignment a bit but enough to prevent the purple prongs from sliding into the purple slots. With a screwdriver, I slid over the entire purple piece with the contacts and it came together. Attached is a pic of my connector.

Thanks for everyone's help!
-Franc

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	430120  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:59 PM
So I figured out the problem. On the male (smaller side) the entire purple part with the prongs had slid over inside the black plastic shell by a few mm and it was just out of alignment a bit but enough to prevent the purple prongs from sliding into the purple slots. With a screwdriver, I slid over the entire purple piece with the contacts and it came together. Attached is a pic of my connector.

Thanks for everyone's help!
-Franc
Whew... Glad you got it figured out. See what happens when you take pictures for us...

Take care,
DC

Old 10-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
Glad it worked out-I would have resorted to channel locks and ruined everything. Lets see a pic of the new LED''s.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM