997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone have a Turbo S tune on their 997.2 Turbo base?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 AM
onefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to all
Anyone have a Turbo S tune on their 997.2 Turbo base?

I have a 2010 Porsche 997.2 turbo pdk and the company I am purchasing my tune from has recommended that I go with the 997.2 tune for a Turbo S for constant boost (always on overboost) and more power.

I don't know the differences between the Turbo and Turbo S mechanically to be able to determine if this is fine to do or not. Obviously the tuner has been doing this for a long time and has experience doing this on many cars but thought I would see what everyone thinks.

My questions are: what are the engine differences, if any, between the Turbo and Turbo S (turbo's, injectors, intake, etc)?

What are the transmission differences, if any, between the Turbo and Turbo S (same clutch packs, etc)?

Like anyone, I want a powerful tune but don't want to compromise the reliability or longevity of the engine/transmission. Yes I know that tuning reduces life, I have had tuned cars for almost a decade but I don't want to put the car at significant risk, especially because my car has 60,000 miles on it.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:40 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
The "S" turbos may be slightly larger from what I recall. Otherwise the hardware should be the same. Agree with 9e 28, there are better options.

Don't forget to look at GIAC, who has been tuning the 3.8 DI platform longer than anyone. Some Porsche dealers sell GIAC to give you an idea about reliability.

If you buy the GIAC tune from Champion, they provide a warranty on top of your factory Porsche/CPO warranty.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
@onefastman1 if you have a way to datalog the car and read the codes feel free to shoot them over to me and I can take a look. Our 997.2 Turbo tuning is done and loaded on the car via the Cobb Accessport. Once tuned there won't be any differences between a Turbo and a Turbo S. Getting a freer flowing exhaust will open it up the most in terms of consistent reliable performance gains.

Suggest getting a boost leak done and a set of fresh plugs prior to tuning.

Dzenno@PTF