997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installing 3rd radiator - advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Installing 3rd radiator - advice welcomed

I'm about to embark on installing a third/center radiator kit for my 997S. It looks pretty straightforward though I'm a bit concerned about removing the front bumper assembly. I've read a few threads and spoke to my body shop about the process.
Also have to install the center Cargraphic radiator screen. Exactly how is that attached to the bumper (I had the other two done at the dealer)?
Looking for any advice from anyone who's done it.
Thanks,
Verde

Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
It's actually pretty easy and sandwiches between the shrouds and the bumper itself. We drill small pin-holes into the ducting and then small zip ties to secure the screens. Some people do it with glue etc...

This car shows you a few close ups: http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-gt...s-exhaust.html

Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Alex. I really don't like the idea of using glue. I'll definitely try the zip ties.
Is there anything about getting the center plug out of the the GT3 bumper? How is it held in there?

Originally Posted by sharkster
It's actually pretty easy and sandwiches between the shrouds and the bumper itself. We drill small pin-holes into the ducting and then small zip ties to secure the screens. Some people do it with glue etc...

This car shows you a few close ups: http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-gt...s-exhaust.html

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
Thanks Alex. I really don't like the idea of using glue. I'll definitely try the zip ties.
Is there anything about getting the center plug out of the the GT3 bumper? How is it held in there?
No worries. I don't like the blue idea either..... The center plug? I'm not sure I follow?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 PM
I thought that plug was the term used to refer to the black plastic 'filler' in the center of the bumper that has to be removed to permit airflow to the radiator.
And 'blue'?

No worries. I don't like the blue idea either..... The center plug? I'm not sure I follow?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
I thought that plug was the term used to refer to the black plastic 'filler' in the center of the bumper that has to be removed to permit airflow to the radiator.
And 'blue'?
Darn iphone... Glue:P

Oh the center radiator that you remove you mean? That just has pull tabs (look at the piece you're replacing it with and it'll make sense) that slide in. It'll make sense once you have the bumper off too...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks again...

Oh the center radiator that you remove you mean? That just has pull tabs (look at the piece you're replacing it with and it'll make sense) that slide in. It'll make sense once you have the bumper off too...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Verde, you should do this as a DYI thread, and do a step by step install.

It is something that I want to do when I get some more time, perhaps in the fall.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
LOL, I have had the iPhone correct some words and put something I didn't want as well.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Here is some help:

DIY Bumper Removal: http://renntrack.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116

DIY 3rd Radiator Install: http://renntrack.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92

I used both of these DIy to do mine.

Best advise id have someone help you when you disconnect the radiator hoses and have a bucket under the hose to catch the radiator fluid.

I did not and I got bathed in it and my skin stung for about 2 hours.

Other than that its super easy.

The hardest part is burping the system after.

Also go to your dealer and buy an extra gallon of porsche radiator fluid.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Sure. I got your note after the bumper came off, so no photos of that. But there are a number of threads for removing the bumper. I'll post a DYI in a day or two (um, after I finish).
Verde

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Verde, you should do this as a DYI thread, and do a step by step install.

It is something that I want to do when I get some more time, perhaps in the fall.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Alex,
I'm going to have to add/top-off with coolant. To replace the stuff that was lost and to fill up the center radiator. Is there a substitute (but equivalent) of the Porsche fluid? Something more reasonable? If not, glad to buy it but want to check. I'm heading out now.
Thanks,
Verde
P.S. I know there have been a number of threads on the topic, but nothing definitive. To me at least.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:21 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
I bought a gal of coolant from the stealer..you'll want to top off run it for a few then re top off and rerun for a bit. It takes a few times to get the air out and level back to norm.. Other then that its easy as pie to install.. I have a thread with pics do a search..

Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Got it done. Did it with my 19 year old who is home from UC. Good bonding opportunity. Time consuming but not complex. And yes, bought a gallon from the local dealer and it's been slowly sucking it down. My son did the detailed job of using zip ties to fasten the Cargraphic grill. Thank you Alex for the tip. Photos to come...
Oh, and no more mods. Promise.

Originally Posted by OC Pcar
I bought a gal of coolant from the stealer..you'll want to top off run it for a few then re top off and rerun for a bit. It takes a few times to get the air out and level back to norm.. Other then that its easy as pie to install.. I have a thread with pics do a search..

Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
I have been always thinking about this mod but I'm not sure if I need to do it. Weather here is not bad at all but I think it will be good for the engine since i started to track my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing 3rd radiator - advice welcomed