997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

White Smoke & The Dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
whats up guys, been a little while since I posted on this thread.
My car has been smoking since I purchased it. Everytime I took it to the dealership They said they need to see it for themselves to try and fix it. So For a week straight I recorded a video of my car starting up until I was able to get a video of it happening. I took it in with the video, My car has been there since OCTOBER 18th. They have taken the engine out of the car, and are taking the motor apart piece by piece. They are replacing a couple of things. I dont know too much detail but I will definatley post Everything here when I get it back... The adviser told me hopefully by NEXT friday, thats about 20days w/o my car...

They acually gave me a rental car too, 2009 Cayenne, she asked me to bring the cayenne in 2maro and switch it with a 2011 cayenne, or a 2011 panamera... Im acually excited

Also wondering has anybody every had any luck trying to LEMON their PORSCHE? I heard its impossible to do

You can check out a couple of threads I started. I am still working a clutch issue but the white smoke issue I had was a burned cylender and they replaced the whole engine.

Not so lucky with the clutch so far but my car seems to be a total lemon and I am happy to push Porsche untill they compensate me. There are many ways to work with a car compnay and the viral nature of the internet is one. They cant hide issues anymore.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
J.Seven is on a distinguished road
My 98 Boxster used to do it, and also my 996.
First time my 997.2 did it I was surprised, because I thought this new DFI engine would not sufer from this bug. I drop a post here and was told to be normal on these engines.

In my case, it happens more if car is not leveled, like if both left wheels are on a higher surface.

Will have to double check this.

J.Seven

Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
If you cant read it, save it to your computer and zoom in on it. My car feels good, I was told not to drive over 4500rpms for 500miles, and not to red line, etc. Pretty much the same stuff they tell you when you first purchase the car...Ill get the videos up soon for you guys.

Down time at dealer; 10/18/2010 - 11/5/2010

Last edited by PersianGodFatha; 11-05-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
dtakenname is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Are they going to give you brand new engine, or reconditioned engine?
Thanks.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
The engine has been replaced with a brand new one

Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 PM
VIDEOS....dont mind the talking in the 1st video, the house keeper was a bit confused on how to turn the car on

the 1st video cuts off fo a second because the damn bluetooth paused the video to connect to my phone

Old 11-05-2010, 05:53 PM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
arrggh... that sound is horrible, almost like that chalkboard screeching sound.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM
cbzzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
"Al otro lado" priceless!

Looks like you got a bad engine out of the factory, glad they just gave you a new one. I'm surprised it wasn't throwing "check engine" codes left and right though !

Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cbzzoom

Looks like you got a bad engine out of the factory, glad they just gave you a new one. I'm surprised it wasn't throwing "check engine" codes left and right though !

SO I now know there are at least two of us who had the issue and got a new engine. I wonder how low the failure rate is?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
henrysko will become famous soon enoughhenrysko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by solidst8
arrggh... that sound is horrible, almost like that chalkboard screeching sound.
Unbelievable!

Did your dealer return the car sounding like that?

Old 11-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Yossarian
SO I now know there are at least two of us who had the issue and got a new engine. I wonder how low the failure rate is?
Im curious to know the failure rate too, let me know if you go ahead and try to lemon your car, Im intrested to see if its as hard as they say it is to lemon a Porsche

Originally Posted by henrysko
Unbelievable!

Did your dealer return the car sounding like that?
NO WAY, if it sounded like that when I was picking it up, Id leave it there, Smile and drive away with the 2011 cayenne they gave me

Originally Posted by cbzzoom

LOL she kept trying to put the key into the right side and I kept telling her its on the other side...pretty funny

Yeah Im surprised my engine wasnt giving me codes...Whats even more shocking is the fact that they kept telling me nothing was wrong with my car everytime I went in to complain + they kept blaming it on my exhaust, Im glad I got a video of it happening

Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Thumbs up

in the last week, my car has smoked up twice. I took it back to the dealer yesterday, got a call today saying "its normal", and its because of the "exhaust"... Now im pissed because the dealer is back to pointing fingers at me. I have taken the car in about the smoke prior to purchasing my tubi exhaust, and I have documents to prove it. I REALLY NEED HELP FROM YOU GUYS, I would like to fix this issue, I dont know what to do, or who to talk to.
I asked the dealer, if the smoke is normal, why did you keep my car for 20+ days? Why did you replace my motor? You replaced my motor, gave me a rental car, and kept my car for 3 weeks+ and its normal? COME ON...

GUYS HELP PLEASE...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 AM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Okay, so a few things here from a general mechanical experience.

In the colder months, you may see some smoke from condensation that has built up in the exhaust. It's just water vapor.

Also, although I can only speak for my car, it tends to run pretty rich on startup and I can smell the fuel while it's going through it's 30 second warm up cycle. This may result in a little more 'smoke' than usual.

Lastly, these are boxer engines with a fair quantity of oil. It is not unusual for a car that has been driven fairly hard and let sit smoke a little on startup.

I suppose the bottom line is that as long as you aren't losing fluids (coolant or oil) and you aren't getting big nasty puffs of white or blue smoke, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Monitor oil consumption and keep an eye on your coolant reservoir.

A head gasket leak could cause smoking on startup but a simple hydrocarbon sniffer test of the coolant would reveal this really quickly.

***EDIT Just watched the video.... not good with the blue smoke! The fact that it's just coming from the one tail pipe is a pretty good indication that there is an issue with one of the cylinder banks.***

Last edited by atr911; 12-16-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by atr911
***EDIT Just watched the video.... not good with the blue smoke! The fact that it's just coming from the one tail pipe is a pretty good indication that there is an issue with one of the cylinder banks.***
Yes, its horrible, and smells VERY VERY TOXIC, very thick white/blue smoke, my neighbors have *****ed a few too many times about it...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM
OmegaMan will become famous soon enoughOmegaMan will become famous soon enough
Are the two videos above before or after the engine was replaced?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: White Smoke & The Dealer