997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hard wire radar detectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM
FatArse will become famous soon enoughFatArse will become famous soon enough
Hard wire radar detectors

I'm getting a Beltronics Pro RX65 and would like to hard wire it in a 997 C2 Coupe. I saw some DIY guidance on Rennlist, but wanted to see if anyone on 6speed had experience with this type of install...thanks!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
I'm in an '07 Cayman S, but I think fuse wise we're pretty close.... I ran a "switched" power wire from A7 (I think) in the interior fuse box (grounded it right in that area too) up the A piller and front of the head liner to the other side of the mirror... pretty straight forward process... just use on of those piggy back fuse things and you're set

Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by FatArse
I'm getting a Beltronics Pro RX65 and would like to hard wire it in a 997 C2 Coupe. I saw some DIY guidance on Rennlist, but wanted to see if anyone on 6speed had experience with this type of install...thanks!
One of the first things I did after I got my C4. Hardwired my V1, using the DIY instructions bonehead provided here. Piece of cake. Go for it! I did use a new red tap I bought ... I think from Radio Shack. Mind you, this install is for cars with autodimming mirrors.

Others like jhthornley, who might not want to splice into wiring, have used a method that runs a wire down the pillar to the fuse box, taking power from there. I didn't have any concerns about tapping into wiring though - car audio installlers do it all the time. I'm sure it's on this board somewhere -search is your friend.

BOL
Ron

Last edited by Scoper; 06-26-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: hot link
Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jhthornley
I'm in an '07 Cayman S, but I think fuse wise we're pretty close.... I ran a "switched" power wire from A7 (I think) in the interior fuse box (grounded it right in that area too) up the A piller and front of the head liner to the other side of the mirror... pretty straight forward process... just use on of those piggy back fuse things and you're set
I did the same for my V1 using an "add-a-circuit" for my fuse box (I think it was C7 for the Autodimming and rear wper) and grounded to the bolt in the fuse box. Make sure you take decorative panel off by the fuse as well before you do the wiring. Then as stated above run the wire under the door weather stripping to the top of the dash jamming the wire in the seam between the dash the A-pillar. Then all you hve to do is tuck the wire between the windshield and the Apillar molding and then the headliner. I wraped some velcro tape (soft side) around the wire every six inches before I pushed the wire btween the windshield and the A-piller/headliner. This way the wire stayed in snug. It has worked great and took less than thirty minutes.

Good luck! Let us know how you decided to do it.

Last edited by lowpue; 06-26-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Use mirrortap. It's quick and easy.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Flying Cat will become famous soon enoughFlying Cat will become famous soon enough
+1 using mirror tap. I used directions in link provided by Scoper above. However, I found it easier to unscrew the whole top lights+sunroof buttons assembly instead of just removing light switches. Removing the whole top assembly gives more space to work with.

Cheers

Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lowpue
I did the same for my V1 using an "add-a-circuit" for my fuse box (I think it was C7 for the Autodimming and rear wper) and grounded to the bolt in the fuse box. Make sure you take decorative panel off by the fuse as well before you do the wiring. Then as stated above run the wire under the door weather stripping to the top of the dash jamming the wire in the seam between the dash the A-pillar. Then all you hve to do is tuck the wire between the windshield and the Apillar molding and then the headliner. I wraped some velcro tape (soft side) around the wire every six inches before I pushed the wire btween the windshield and the A-piller/headliner. This way the wire stayed in snug. It has worked great and took less than thirty minutes.

Good luck! Let us know how you decided to do it.

fuse C6

Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slant83
fuse C6
C6, my K40 is hardwired into C6.