997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Steering Wheel Swap: 997.2 6spd Manual: Sports XPA wheel to Heated Multi-Function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Glassman
I swapped a heated multifunction wheel for the OEM non–heated multifunction wheel in my 2012 GTS with heated seats and 6 speed. Pretty simple: had to install a new clock spring and controller followed by recode.
Can you please provide the part numbers and costs for the clock spring and controller? Also where did you source them?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Glassman is on a distinguished road
eurotom:

Sorry for the delayed response; I have been offline.

The necessary parts are:

Clockspring - 955-652-211-22
Controller - 997-613-299-02

These parts are for replacing a non-heated multifunction steering wheel with a heated multifunction steering wheel in a 2012 GTS, but I believe they will work for a 997 or a 997S as well, provided it has a manual transmission and heated seats. I don't know what model years these parts will fit other than 2012, but it seems reasonably likely that they will fit most or all recent 997.2 production.

I did not install these parts myself, partly because of confusion and differing advice regarding which parts were correct. My dealer did the work, and the prices were $96.36 for the clockspring and $343.56 for the controller. That at least gives you a ballpark idea of the cost, and a point of comparison for an online search.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
eurotom:

Sorry for the delayed response; I have been offline.

The necessary parts are:

Clockspring - 955-652-211-22
Controller - 997-613-299-02

These parts are for replacing a non-heated multifunction steering wheel with a heated multifunction steering wheel in a 2012 GTS, but I believe they will work for a 997 or a 997S as well, provided it has a manual transmission and heated seats. I don't know what model years these parts will fit other than 2012, but it seems reasonably likely that they will fit most or all recent 997.2 production.

I did not install these parts myself, partly because of confusion and differing advice regarding which parts were correct. My dealer did the work, and the prices were $96.36 for the clockspring and $343.56 for the controller. That at least gives you a ballpark idea of the cost, and a point of comparison for an online search.

Hope this helps.
Thank you I'll run it by my dealer.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:27 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
sub'd

Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by kkswow12
sub'd
????

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
raffi will become famous soon enough
????
means he subscribed to thread, to follow it.

one question, do you really need the clockspring?
i think the importance of the new control module is that it allows you to use the horn which is a different mechanism.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by raffi
means he subscribed to thread, to follow it.

one question, do you really need the clockspring?
i think the importance of the new control module is that it allows you to use the horn which is a different mechanism.
Of course. Subscribed. Thanks! I'm still a relative newbie.

Yes, the new clockspring is necessary, according to my (dealership) mechanic. I don't know why. The mechanic didn't think a new controller would be needed, but, if I remember it correctly, there was no provision to connect all of the leads from the new heated steering wheel to the OEM controller. There was, I think, one lead "left over" with no place to plug it in once everything else was connected. At least that is what I recall.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
JoeBaseball is on a distinguished road
Glassman:

Happy to hear your install went so well. Mine not so well to date. A few months back tried swapping in a multi-function wheel with heated wheel on my 2011 C4S, manual w/heated seats. Bought the exact same parts you did, part numbers on mine and yours are identical. My dealer was able to activate all features other than the heated wheel. Said he kept coming up with an error code that would not allow activation of the heated feature. I think the dealer has tried but I also feel the dealer has more or less convinced itself that for whatever reason a 2011 997.2 can't do the heated wheel/MF swap even though at the time we tried it there was clearly examples out there where it worked on earlier year 997.2's.

Your conversion is the first I've seen where the swap occurred with a newer model year than mine and may inspire my dealer to try a bit harder at getting this heated feature to work. Could you give me the name of the dealer and ideally the tech who did your work? Perhaps I can get me dealer's tech to communicate with him directly. Open to any other suggestion you might have. Thanks in advance and congrats on the successful install!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Phantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud of
i replaced a heated pdk wheel with a heated pdk wheel with multifunction. I just bought the wheel and fitted that - thought all i needed to do know for a 997 gen 2 car was to activate the software?

Do i infact need new parts as well?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I was told that you need a new steering controller module. The tech will download the data from the old controller, install the new controller module and upload the old controller's data to the new one. All thru the PIWIS.
With all that being said, I did a 2012 heated wheel upgrade to my 2005 and everything works. horn and even the heated wheel. All that without going to the dealer. I installed the steering wheel and airbag by myself

Joel,

Can you share how you got the heated part of the steering wheel to work (ie what activates the heat)? I have a 997.1 MF (non heated) wheel and willl be going to a .2 CF wheel that has the heated function and am curious if I can get it to work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edwin

Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:12 PM
shayoneill is on a distinguished road
I am curious if anybody knows this answer as well trying to finish up this project?

Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Joel,

Can you share how you got the heated part of the steering wheel to work (ie what activates the heat)? I have a 997.1 MF (non heated) wheel and willl be going to a .2 CF wheel that has the heated function and am curious if I can get it to work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edwin

Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 PM
shayoneill is on a distinguished road
Anybody?