997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need help with deciding on turbo kit from tpc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Reps for bring forth a concern and an issue on the turbo. The shops all say no issues. I would be concerned if my car was in the shop that much!
His 997 is a 2005, ECU is different, just want to make that clear. I have no CEL issues with my car. Any time you mod there is a risk, everytime you drive there is a risk of an accident. Like Doc said, life is too short to live in fear. For me, life without modding is no fun.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by utkinpol
if anybody wants to track m97 a lot - read this
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...e-failure.html

and similar info, it is not difficult to find. i do not say it is not possible to track this motor, it is just a requirement to know its weak sides and do some preventive actions.
This did fail in Cayman and one of the engine experts said:" My guess then, would be a long-term pattern of oil starvation to that rear bearing, or a missed shift... obviously, when you get the DME readout you'll be able to tell if it was the latter. That rear bearing is the most vulnerable, and from what I understand, the hell of it is that when the motor is turned around and used in a 911, the bearing is not as vulnerable due to the difference of the forces on it and the oiling flow when the motor is used in that 911 configuration.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Reps for bring forth a concern and an issue on the turbo. The shops all say no issues. I would be concerned if my car was in the shop that much!
His car seems to be a solo issue. My 05 didn't have any issues like his and the other 3 05 TPC turbo car owners I spoke with via internet.

Again, when you mod certain issues can pop up. When you think about it, turbocharging is not a complicated process, you have exhaust gasses that spin a turbine that spins another that pushes extra air into the intake. There are no belts to worry about like superchargers (which I've owned 2) so as long as the tune is good and the drive is not a numbskull you should be fine.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
His 997 is a 2005, ECU is different, just want to make that clear. I have no CEL issues with my car. Any time you mod there is a risk, everytime you drive there is a risk of an accident. Like Doc said, life is too short to live in fear. For me, life without modding is no fun.
Mine was an 05 as well but zero issues.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Mine was an 05 as well but zero issues.
From what I have read 05 had different ECU's and TPC had issues getting it to work. Mayber older 05'? Not sure now that you said yours work.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
TPC turbo

Mine is still working fine a couple years after the install. The factory turbo is a great powertrain but in the 997.1 version had handling issues and was several times the incremental cost of what I paid TPC. If I had more money or was certain there was enough for retirement I'd probably get the 997.2 turbo S, but I'm very happy with my TPC choice at this point.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ynot
From what I have read 05 had different ECU's and TPC had issues getting it to work. Mayber older 05'? Not sure now that you said yours work.
Well, mine is # 033 of the Launch Editions so I don't know how much earlier you can get! LOL.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Targa997
Yes me to I have got so in love with the targa looks that I don't know if I could part with it. Its just a beautiful car.
PM to you.