Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Auction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Mi2big4u is on a distinguished road
Auction

Hello everyone!

I am brand spanking new to this forum and to the Porsche world all together. I have had a few different vehicles in my time and my current truck is an 06 Hummer H3 that I have loved. I was truly surprised when I bought her with the amount of fun I had with what looked like a normal SUV. I have had it buried in mud bogs and tilting on it's fenders with off road ruts. It has been a blast but I have quickly grown out of it. I did a lot of research, went from Denali, Escalade, Tundra and found a used Cayenne for sale that was A LOT cheaper than what I originally thought they would go for.

I have spent the last month researching these trucks and the model differences, package differences and all there is to the Cayenne Line. Long and short of it is I have had my truck for sale for a month now locally and for whatever reason couldn't sell it to save my life. I entertained the idea of a lot of different options and couldn't find a way to sell. I went to my local Porsche dealer to see what they had in stock and he mentioned they see very few Cayenne's come in used throughout the years and they have none and are expecting none any time soon.

I went to Auction Direct last week and sat with them and they loved my truck, said it was very clean and a truck they can sell without much of an issue. I spoke to the salesman about trading it in to save on the taxes I would have to pay and he gave me a great price($200 short of what I my asking private sale price!). I spoke with him at length about finding a 2006 Cayenne S and he said that he could find one if I alloted him the appropriate amount of time. He mentioned that they aren't a typical vehicle sold out of their doors however they have high end vehicle auctioneer's that could find one, time dependant with the options I wanted. Question I have for this group:

Has anyone ever bought a Cayenne off an auction?

What things should I look for in the Carfax that show the Cayenne is no good and is going to give me nothing but problems?

What mileage is too much for these trucks(2006 model primarily)

I am asking for the Sand Beige interior w/ the two tone cherry wood intertwinded. I have not been able to see this package in person. Is it as beautiful as the pictures make it seem? The black doesn't seem as amazing to me...

Is this a truck that belongs at auction or I am asking for trouble getting one at an auction??

Just looking to pick the brains of the experts

Thanks in advance!

J

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 AM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
I go to high end auctions and also am familiar with Porsche dealers' used lots so these are my opinions based on that facts. the more selective you get about exactly which options you want on exactly the model year and the condition, clean Carfax, ect. the more chance you will never get what you want or will have to compromise. Many large Porsche dealers right now have a HUGE supply of 2010 and some 2009 Cayennes that can be had for 2/3 of their selling price new. Many very nice vehicles go through the auctions, especially off lease vehicles, as dealers can;t possibly keep all the trade-ins. Porsche dealers in my area don't typically want to keep anything as old as 2006 on the lots; they usually prefer to sell later models. I have not heard or read of any issues with the 2006 models. Right now, there are 86 2005-2007 Cayennes on Manheim's website; 56 of them are 2006 models. You should have no problems finding one but ultimately it will require some give. good luck!