Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help! Cayenne Stuck in Gear (and the garage)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
mtnair is on a distinguished road
Help! Cayenne Stuck in Gear (and the garage)

2004 Cayenne Turbo will not move past reverse when trying to shift into drive and other gears. I can move the shifter to reverse, and the car will go into reverse. However, the shifter will not move past R even with some moderate force. It almost feels as if the shifter is hitting something when I try to put it in D. In addition, all of the drive control lights P, R, D, etc. are lit on the dash. I was away on a trip and came back to the car like this. So for now, it's stuck in the garage. Would like to do whatever I can before having to flatbed it several hundred miles away. Any suggested help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Remove the wood panel around the shifter. Then, you can look down there and see if anything looks out-of-whack. Perhaps try the procedure the manual describes to allow the car to get out of Park; if that fails ?
Its only 2 screws seen under the center rest (Tool is under the rubber mat there too)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 PM
mtnair is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the panel from around the shifter and everything there looks normal. It shifts smoothly from Park to Reverse, but stops there. Nothing is obstructing the shifter's movement from "above" but it feels like something is getting caught/stuck in the base of the shifter console if that makes sense.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Jasoneo5 will become famous soon enough
any update on this?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 PM
zzzx is on a distinguished road
people came for advice and then just disappeared, no response, no final solution if any
and the topic became useless

Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
I've had luck with this problem on other brands by putting the car into a gear that will engage (like reverse in your case) and then getting out and physically rocking the car a bit back and forth by hand. Sometimes that will free the stuck gear. Best of luck if you ever check back for the help you asked for!

Old 10-20-2020, 06:37 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Just to give this old dog closure, it is quite possible that the gear shift cable was dislodged from side of transmission and is stuck in one gear. Not hard to get to, raise car, remove or bend out heat shield, and replace the rubber grommet that affixes the cable to transmission. Other than that, can be the magnets in center console, but op said all was ok there.