Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
So reading through the last 28 pages of this thread while at work this morning (it's a slow day in the markets ....), my paranoia got the best of me so I nipped off to CVS to buy a dental mirror to check my bolts after work ..... I've got a '12 Cayenne S (build date 09/11), so I'm right on the edge of the dates that I've seen associated with the faulty bolts. I'll know more this afternoon, but in the meantime I'm thinking that 8 bucks for the dental mirror for a DIY check is a better use of my time and resources than getting the runaround at the Stealership! And I get the tongue scraper and dental pick as an added bonus

Old 04-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Cayenne911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
So reading through the last 28 pages of this thread while at work this morning (it's a slow day in the markets ....), my paranoia got the best of me so I nipped off to CVS to buy a dental mirror to check my bolts after work ..... I've got a '12 Cayenne S (build date 09/11), so I'm right on the edge of the dates that I've seen associated with the faulty bolts. I'll know more this afternoon, but in the meantime I'm thinking that 8 bucks for the dental mirror for a DIY check is a better use of my time and resources than getting the runaround at the Stealership! And I get the tongue scraper and dental pick as an added bonus
Let us know what you fine Dr.

I just ordered the replacement bolts, let's see what the replacements look like....

Old 04-11-2017, 01:06 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear about your issue Cayenne911. Really sucks.

Can you share how many miles were on the Cayenne when the engine failed? Also do you happen to know the build date (month/year)? If you dont mind sharing the VIN number, that would be useful too.

We are putting together a database of these failures which can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Also where did you order the replacement bolts from and what is the part number?

Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Sorry to hear about your issue Cayenne911. Really sucks.

Can you share how many miles were on the Cayenne when the engine failed? Also do you happen to know the build date (month/year)? If you dont mind sharing the VIN number, that would be useful too.

We are putting together a database of these failures which can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Also where did you order the replacement bolts from and what is the part number?
Hi there, this is a good bit of information, thanks!!!

I'll be happy to provide my data... let me gather it for you, I need to find out some of the missing and PM you the details to add.

Thanks,

Old 04-11-2017, 06:25 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cayenne911
Let us know what you fine Dr.

I just ordered the replacement bolts, let's see what the replacements look like....
So the $8 dental mirror paid off .... Checked the bolts before my drive home this evening and as far as my old man eyes can tell, these are the dark bolts with NO pin in the middle but I'm hoping the experts on this thread can confirm..... TIA for your help to calm my paranoia about these friggin' bolts

Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
As I posted over on RennList - those bolts look fine. They are not the problem ones.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
As I posted over on RennList - those bolts look fine. They are not the problem ones.

Rock & Roll, thanks Don!

For sale: 1 (slightly used) dental mirror

Old 04-12-2017, 01:43 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Another failure was reported today on rennlist - '11 /S - about 55k miles.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Well I guess I better make a decision and quickly...

I have the 'bad bolts' AND the last two numbers of the part are the bad ones. You can see the 21 in the upper left hand corner of the photo.

I used the flashlight from my iPhone and saw that I had the bolts with the middle pins. My local Porsche SA who actually participated in this thread told us that in PA where I live, I am covered under the 7 year / 70,000 mile emissions warranty BUT I don't want to go through the hell of something like waiting on a new engine and a 4 leaf clover for Porsche to cover this.

I guess I'll contact My 2 local Porsche dealerships and get quotes to get these replaced. Better safe than sorry, I currently have 67,400 miles on the Cayenne so I am running out of time. This is just sad. Taxes and now an approximate $3500 be prepared for the worst job. Terrible.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:43 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
I see the keresks7 failure over on Rennlist and will add it to the database. No one was hurt which is good. Scary situation though, engine dying on the freeway.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
I guess I'll contact My 2 local Porsche dealerships and get quotes to get these replaced. Better safe than sorry, I currently have 67,400 miles on the Cayenne so I am running out of time. This is just sad. Taxes and now an approximate $3500 be prepared for the worst job. Terrible.
Don't be afraid to dicker a bit with the dealership. The quoted time is in WC-22, and I seem to recall it's about 6-7 hours. I suspect 8 hours is more reasonable, and that's what my dealer quoted me. I was OK with that.

My dealer then went the extra mile sort of thing - and gave me a PCA discount which meant the parts prices closely matched the best prices I could find for the parts on line.

The total estimate on mine was ~$2,600 and change.. And the dealership stuck to that price even after basically rebuilding the top of the engine (both heads) when the tech had a brain-fart. Hopefully you can land the job for less than $3,000.

And you can't really blame Porsche for the taxes - but I guess it helps to vent about them anyway..

Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Subscribed, I had a professional acquaintance ask me about this yesterday on diff between 957/958 issues and I assumed all was resolved in newer models and walked him through 955 issues on coolant/cardan shaft/pencil coils. I am literally emailing him now.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 AM
I have been contacted by an attorney who was contacted by a Panamera owner in NJ. He is gathering information on this failure to determine if it is deserving of a Class-Action lawsuit. If anyone wants to offer up information on their failure - you can contact me via PM and I'll give you his email address.

He has not come forward directly on the forum since when he has done that sort of thing in the past he's rather viciously attacked with the usual attorney attacks. In talking to him - he isn't convinced that this rises to the level of a Class-Action case, but he does understand our frustration getting Porsche to acknowledge that there is an issue besides just the VIN#'s covered under WC-22. He also won't do anything unless someone comes to him - which the Panamera owner did.

If you're not interested or have nothing to offer - please do not rant on here about attorneys. You may not like them, but that's not the issue here. The issue is getting our vehicles fixed so we can rely on them.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM
HI there, without going through the entire thread, could anyone tell me if the part number for the new replacement bolts were ever provided? I just called a neighboring dealership and was told I'd have to purchase the entire sprocket with the bolts for $700+ ea.

Thanks,

Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Cayenne911
HI there, without going through the entire thread, could anyone tell me if the part number for the new replacement bolts were ever provided? I just called a neighboring dealership and was told I'd have to purchase the entire sprocket with the bolts for $700+ ea.

Thanks,
Hi. Sorry the thread is too long for you to go though.. but - no, there are NO replacement bolts available. You must purchase the entire adjuster assembly, two of them, list is around $700 each. If you go through the thread you'll find some clues on how to save about $350 on the price of the adjusters.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?