Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Resetting Oil Change Indicator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Boostaddiction is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by petros600
i received the X-431R and i try to use it on my 2013 and i get the following:coding is changed.

Any help?
And did it change the coding the way you expected it to?

This tool worked for my 2013 CD where the Durametric failed.

Are you sure you used the correct option?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Successfully cleared oil service awhile ago and did interim service message today. 2012 Cayenne Turbo.

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
I'm not selling this, but hope that the info helps others since I feel that dealerships should not charge to reset the oil service Interval. The x431r reset tool, on ebay, is great for $50, and worked on my 958.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Mcjimmy33 is on a distinguished road
anyone know if this will replace an airbag warning light? Mine popped on after changing a window regulator.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM
chiapet15 is on a distinguished road
Anyone know of any OBD tools that can be used to reset oil change and service intervals for a 2016 CSeH?

Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
does it work with 2014 958 Cayenne? I need one, I feel so much pain after I paid Porsche dealer for my 20K service.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Agreed !!! oil change, change air and cabin filters are so expensive .... to reset the message is 2 minutes job from dealer .... Save $$$ for my weekend get away ... LOL ...

I really appreciate to find out what tool will work with my 2014 958 cayenne ...

Many thanks

Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Eric Lambeth is on a distinguished road
I can't

Last edited by Eric Lambeth; 10-24-2022 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Eric Lambeth
I can't find the X-431R tool on ebay or amazon or anywhere... looks like it is out of stock all over the place. Maybe pulled off the market?

Any other tools out there that will do this without spending the $289 on the Durametric?
iCarScan. Does it just fine (and lots more.) Google it.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
iCarScan. Does it just fine (and lots more.) Google it.
Looks like expensive update of the X-431R but only 5 software brands and it looks like one must use: Special function Software Brand:RESET BRAKE, RESET OIL, RESET SAS

Maybe someone should rent theirs out. It only takes a few minutes to reset the oil indicator. Not sure what years the older X-431R works on. Works on my 2012 TT.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nhirsch
Looks like expensive update of the X-431R but only 5 software brands and it looks like one must use: Special function Software Brand:RESET BRAKE, RESET OIL, RESET SAS

Maybe someone should rent theirs out. It only takes a few minutes to reset the oil indicator. Not sure what years the older X-431R works on. Works on my 2012 TT.
Actually - not so much. It's a complete diagnostics piece of kit. Does live feeds, programming, plotting, charting, reports, etc.. and the manufacturer's OBD-II extended codes. Adaptation resets, parking-brake service setting, etc.. etc.. Plus resets - which isn't a special function, it's part of the Porsche software. One of the many useful things it does is a stepper-motor calibration for the dozen or so steppers used on the HVAC system. That fixed a number of bothersome faults my '11 CTT had due to errant stepper settings.

How many brands does the X-431R cover and in what depth? Does it do programming? Does it do the parking-brake service/calibration setting?

Inquiring minds want to know..

When I considered diagnostics tools the X-431R seemed to come up short in a lot of those categories. The iCarScan does everything a Durametic PRO does for a fraction of the cost, and does it for 4 other manufacturers besides Porsche. If you need more than 5 manufacturers - you can purchase any one you might need for $60.

Last edited by deilenberger; 02-03-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:27 AM
I don't disagree it has more but cost is so much higher. Have you looked at "Torque" engine management diagnostics and tools, an Android app uses inexpensive small OBDII plug via Bluetooth? Amazing real-time information, fault codes, test results, graphing, etc. See it all as you drive on your device. Like an instrument cluster. Swap screens...

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Actually - not so much. It's a complete diagnostics piece of kit. Does live feeds, programming, plotting, charting, reports, etc.. and the manufacturer's OBD-II extended codes. Adaptation resets, parking-brake service setting, etc.. etc.. Plus resets - which isn't a special function, it's part of the Porsche software. One of the many useful things it does is a stepper-motor calibration for the dozen or so steppers used on the HVAC system. That fixed a number of bothersome faults my '11 CTT had due to errant stepper settings.

How many brands does the X-431R cover and in what depth? Does it do programming? Does it do the parking-brake service/calibration setting?

Inquiring minds want to know..

When I considered diagnostics tools the X-431R seemed to come up short in a lot of those categories. The iCarScan does everything a Durametic PRO does for a fraction of the cost, and does it for 4 other manufacturers besides Porsche. If you need more than 5 manufacturers - you can purchase any one you might need for $60.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by nhirsch
I don't disagree it has more but cost is so much higher. Have you looked at "Torque" engine management diagnostics and tools, an Android app uses inexpensive small OBDII plug via Bluetooth? Amazing real-time information, fault codes, test results, graphing, etc. See it all as you drive on your device. Like an instrument cluster. Swap screens...
How much have you seen it for? I paid $158 for mine. That isn't a lot more than the X-431R with one manufacturer pack. It was delivered from China to NJ in 2 days (really - I was amazed! China-Post..) I figured with a $130,000+ vehicle I could afford it, since one dealer visit to reset a service indicator would cost near that much. The X-431 is cheaper IF you don't want any other manufacturers.

As far as "Torque" - does it do Porsche specific codes - ie - ANY code above P0999 ?? Without those you might as well use a generic OBD-II code reader.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:45 PM
9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough
I would also like to chime in about the iCarScan. After lots of research, I settled upon it to mainly just reset the oil service but it has way surpassed my expectations. It is close to other thousand dollar tools. I recently used it to calibrate the steering angle sensor after adjusting my camber and toe.

The other software that I downloaded for it is the Toyota software and it's exactly like Toyota's Techstream. I haven't touched my Techsteam cable since I've gotten the iCarScan.

The "R" in X431-R is Reader. It is mainly used to reader codes. It can't do any of the special functions that the iCarScan can.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Glad to learn about the iCarScan. Curious if and how you able to update the info each year as new models come out and codes are added/corrected? Wish it was available when I sprung for the Durametric (later returned as the codes were not accurate) but meanwhile my $45 X-431R has done the job well. Noticed the iCarScan doesn't have Tesla but not sure there is any data available out of that port although one exists.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:56 AM
958 S is an unknown quantity at this point
Another vote for icarsoft POR II i960 (different than their older unit without oil reset), it turned out to be everything I had hoped in a tool and I can easily reset the oil and service reminders when I perform them myself. I had troubles with the durametric and their tech support tried but never got the unit to reset the oil, I have used the icarsoft the last 3 times with zero problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Resetting Oil Change Indicator