Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 Diesel: Refill AdBlue tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Regarding AdBlue versus generic DEF, read the whole thread. Regarding 5k, that's how often you need to change the engine oil. I do mine myself, first necessary trip for Porsche service isn't until 20k. And even then I showed up with fresh oil & filter and DEF tank full (it holds 4.6 gal I think)

//Greg//

Old 11-16-2014, 01:43 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Regarding AdBlue versus generic DEF, read the whole thread. Regarding 5k, that's how often you need to change the engine oil. I do mine myself, first necessary trip for Porsche service isn't until 20k. And even then I showed up with fresh oil & filter and DEF tank full (it holds 4.6 gal I think) //Greg//
If you can do the 10k drain of the fuel filter, then you can do the 20k too. OCI, drain and change the fuel filter, visual stuff, and read out computer (Durametric required). Just did mine and since it didn't need oil yet it took about an hour (would have been faster/easier if the lift was free).

Old 11-16-2014, 02:37 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gnat
If you can do the 10k drain of the fuel filter, then you can do the 20k too.
So does that mean you're still on your original brake fluid? And already cleaned your cowl and body drains? And changed your cabin filter and all 3 wiper blades? Those items are part of the intermediate maintenance too.

I don't own a laptop by the way, I went iPad instead. So in my case, the net 20k service cost much less than buying a decent laptop and a $287 Durametric cable.

//Greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 11-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:07 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by grohgreg
So does that mean you're still on your original brake fluid? And already cleaned your cowl and body drains? And changed your cabin filter and all 3 wiper blades? Those items are part of the intermediate maintenance too.
Not according to the PIWIS/TSI document the dealer should be going by. The only fluids mentioned are changing the oil, check the coolant level, draining the fuel filter (implied from the OCI document), washer fluid, PDCC fluid, and refilling the AdBlue.

Regarding the brakes it is just a visual on all the various components to make sure there is no sign of damage.

No mention of the drains, but after having a couple of 80s BMW that showed the follies of neglected drains I check mine regularly.

I don't own a laptop by the way, I went iPad instead. So in my case, the net 20k service cost much less than buying a decent laptop and a $287 Durametric cable.
My local dealers want about $2k for the service which could buy a good enough laptop and the cable, but I take your point

Last edited by gnat; 11-16-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:34 PM
My 20k (A-market) intermediate service at Porsche of Nashville cost a net $470, to include tax and some ridiculous "disposal fees". Far cry from the $2000 you cite. As stated, I took care of the easy stuff: oil/filters/DEF/wipers/tire rotation. To me, the brake fluid replacement, fuel system service, and detailing was well worth the $470. I'll scan a copy of the service order if you need proof.

//Greg//

Old 11-16-2014, 04:55 PM
We're B market according to PIWIS/TSI.

At $470 including all that extra stuff I'd let the dealer do it too. I know they are too far away for it to be practical, but do you know what they charge for their OCI? Around here that alone is about what you paid

Old 11-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Never asked. I got a volume discount on oil filters (~$13 delivered) and buy C30 on an Amazon subscription (~$7/qt delivered). That makes it a $70 driveway oil change, twice a year.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
my porsche dealer in atlanta wanted 980 for the 20k service! brakes werent included. I specialize in brakes, so I flush my own fluids yearly on all of my cars.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gnat
No reason to over pay in my opinion. The "generic" BlueDEF meets the required specs and it is cheaper and more readily available so other than the initial "crush" bottle I picked up that's what I used when I did my refill. The 5k service interval doesn't have anything to do with the reliability of the motor. Somewhere around here are some Blackstone results where the owner pushed beyond the 5k interval (I think out to 8k?) and the results seemed to indicate that the oil indeed wouldn't fare well at the original 10k interval that the RoW uses. The belief is that this has to do with how dirty our diesel is here in the US, but VAG hasn't reduced the OCI on the other vehicles using the same motor we have.
That was me. Search for posts by me and you will find my Blackstone results. It was still ok at 8k but probably wouldn't have made 10k.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 AM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
Is AdBlue a US thing or will my 2011 UK 3.0 Diesel have the AdBlue system too? Ive not read about it in the owners manual nor did i notice it in the rear but I dont have a spare, the Bose sub sits there (I think from memory)?

Ive read that the Macan has it here in the UK but hope that the early 958's didnt get it

Old 11-23-2014, 04:54 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
My Mercedes GL 320 diesel didn't use adblue but the next year's version did. It was a 2008 but your MY 2007. So the US has been using it for a while. Don't know when the UK or Porsche started but it is a minor and easy to do service item.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm surprised to hear the Macan has it in the UK, but as far as I know the Euro 958.1 does not have AdBlue. The lack of it is why you guys have the 4 zone climate control option in the CD and we don't

Old 06-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Registered PM
dcverde is on a distinguished road
Came up with a fast way to reuse/refill the Porsche (Kruse) 1/2 gallon bottles. The ratchet top comes off easily with an inexpensive strap wrench. Using the screw-on bottle avoids spilling or overfilling with a funnel and having to clean up the crystalized AdBlue fluid down in the hard to access tank area. BTW, here with Central Calif quality fuel I get 3,500 miles per gallon of AdBlue

Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Av8Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you know its full or prevent overfilling?

Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Registered PM
dcverde is on a distinguished road
The bottle has an internal valve that stops the flow when the tank is full. When you hear/feel it stop just remove the bottle.
David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 958 Diesel: Refill AdBlue tank