Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 Diesel: Refill AdBlue tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
958 Diesel: Refill AdBlue tank

Not that this is difficult, but I figured I'd document it anyway.

Currently this only includes using the "crush" bottles, but as that would be expensive to use those for the whole 5 gallons I don't recommend doing that. Next week I'll pick up some 2.5 gallon bottles and document converting the crush bottle into a funnel to use for filling from those.

All you need is a pair of hands and a "crush" bottle of AdBlue.
  1. Open the rear gate.
  2. Lift the spare tire cover and prop it up with the rod.
  3. Remove the wing nut holding the plate that secures the spare tire (pic 1).
  4. Remove the spare tire (pic 2).
  5. Use the tab on the AdBlue cover to pull it off (pic 3).
  6. Unscrew and remove the filler cap (pic 4).
  7. Remove the cap from the "crush" bottle.
  8. Invert the bottle, insert it into the filler neck, and screw it into place.
  9. Press the bottom (now top) of the bottle (pic 5) and the fluid will drain into the tank.
  10. Remove the bottle and reverse all the steps.

Notes:
  • I've seen them refered to "crush" bottles, but there is actually no crushing involved.
  • Depending on how your spare tire is positioned and how long your fingers are, you may not need to actually remove the spare tire.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpeg
Views:	803
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	349480   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2.jpeg
Views:	1586
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	349481   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3.jpeg
Views:	707
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	349482   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4.jpeg
Views:	478
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	349483   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-5.jpeg
Views:	837
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	349484  

Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM
abatis is on a distinguished road
When I added DEF at 5K I used one of the 0.5 AdBlue Kruse filler bottles and unscrewed it's top and filled with from my multigallon bottles after the first drain. Works slick and no spills in the trunk. I think mine took 5 refills of the Kruse bottle so 2.5 gallons or so. Not a big deal to do yourself.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Our '14 Audi TDI AdBlue is right next near the gas cap. Makes sense. Why would Porsche put in under a spare of all places?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:21 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CALGUY
Our '14 Audi TDI AdBlue is right next near the gas cap. Makes sense. Why would Porsche put in under a spare of all places?
Since it was an after thought on the Cayenne I assume that this was an easier retrofit than doing it like your Audi. It would have been a real PITA if I had actually had to use my bottle while we were on the road. Managing 2 dogs and a 2 year old would have been fun while trying to unload the back at a rest stop so I could get to the tank...

Old 03-22-2014, 05:48 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
I ran my original fill well past the first AdBlue alert. Went to 13,500 before topping it up with exactly 5.5 gallons; one 1/2 gallon jug from the dealer, two 2.5 gallon jugs from Walmart. Assuming reports that it's a six gallon tank, that means my driving style returns ~2450 miles to the gallon of DEF.

Given that the 1/2 gallon dealer bottle cost $19, it would have taken 10 of them to top up - at a cost of over $200. So I used a 3.5" hole saw to cut out the entire bottom. It's sole purpose in life now, is as the funnel through which I add the aftermarket DEF - which only costs around $12 per 2.5 gallon box. So this 5.5 gallon fill cost $43, the next one will cost only $26.

//greg//

Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by grohgreg
So I used a 3.5" hole saw to cut out the entire bottom.
I just washed my bottle off and found that you can unscrew the top as abates mentioned. While it will be more inconvenient than your method I think I'd pick up a funnel and go this route as that will reduce the risk of contaminants.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Booch is a jewel in the roughBooch is a jewel in the roughBooch is a jewel in the roughBooch is a jewel in the rough
I topped mine off last week with walmart-sourced fluid. I picked up a standard funnel and just used that, it was about the least complicated thing to do on the car so far.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
So I can report that there is NO need to use the Porsche bottle for any reason.

Auto zone had a sale.... two 2.5 Gallon containers of Peak DEF Blue for $25. DEF Blue meets ISO 22241, which is what the manual says to use. It does not say to use Porsche fluid, just something meeting ISO 22241. So I'm at 10,500 miles, haven't seen the warning yet but figured, what the heck, so I got them.

Each 2.5 gallon container came with a screw on hose, about 12" long, with an integral vent so that it flows nicely. It required my son's help to get it started, as 12" isn't quite long enough to shove into the tank opening without tilting the 2.5 gallon container and not start the flow. But with him guiding the hose in as I slowly tilted the container, he got it in before it came out the tube. Honestly, a clean funnel would work as well, but mine are all contaminated with oil and I didn't realize it would work so I didn't pick one up when I bought the fluid.

I put in 2.5 gallons of fluid, I figure I'll drive another few thousand and by then I should need the other 2.5 gallons of fluid. Not bad for $25. Beats the Porsche rate!

Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah I used the supplied nozzle, but I used the empty bottle for the end which prevented it from overfilling and making a royal mess.

1) Dumped one 2.5 gallon jug in.
2) Refilled the .5 gallon bottle from the second jug.
3) Dumped the rest of the second jug into the tank.
4) Attached the bottle and let it empty until the tank was full.

This left me with the bottle being about 2/3rds full so it will continue it's life of being a "just in case" bottle to take on long trips.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM
tas2573 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gnat
I just washed my bottle off and found that you can unscrew the top as abates mentioned. While it will be more inconvenient than your method I think I'd pick up a funnel and go this route as that will reduce the risk of contaminants.
gnat, how did you unscrew the top of the kruse bottle? I've used this same bottle on my Q7 previously, but I cut a hole at the bottom of the bottle to refill. I tried to see if I can unscrew the top but I don't see how it's possible. So i'm wondering how did you do that. I've search on this forum but cannot find any info on unscrewing the top of the kruse bottle. I would appreciate if you can share. Do you have pics?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't unscrew the cap either and noticed the one-way locking nubs at the base of the neck bottle. I sawed off the bottom of the cap and then it was able to take it off. When removing the bottle, hold on to the cap or it will loosen and have a potential fluid leak. If the def spills, don't worry, since it wipes off cleanly.

Originally Posted by tas2573
gnat, how did you unscrew the top of the kruse bottle? I've used this same bottle on my Q7 previously, but I cut a hole at the bottom of the bottle to refill. I tried to see if I can unscrew the top but I don't see how it's possible. So i'm wondering how did you do that. I've search on this forum but cannot find any info on unscrewing the top of the kruse bottle. I would appreciate if you can share. Do you have pics?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by tas2573
gnat, how did you unscrew the top of the kruse bottle?
I just tried it again and it's stiff, but a good hold on the blue collar and another on the bottom of the bottle and I can twist it off. The locking teeth stop it from accidentally spinning free, but not if there is some force behind the twist.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Wonder if it's not of a different design? Because mine seems immovable too. Just as well, I prefer using the bottomless 1/2 gallon bottle as a dispensing funnel anyway. My 3.5" hole saw was a perfect size for removing the entire circumference of the bottom (which has now become the top).

//greg//

Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM
sojoerner is on a distinguished road
I picked up a '14 CD platinum edition about a month ago. We really like it so far. I've got 2500 miles on it and was wondering whether or not to use Porsche-branded Adblue or a generic urea formula from Autozone or Walmart or the like?

The one thing I was not very keen on was PSMP pricing so I didn't buy it and I think it's pretty ridiculous too that Porsche USA recommends bringing in the CD every 5K mile (given the reliability of diesels). So I'm looking to minimally to fill up Adblue myself but need some guidance on what formula to get and where to get it. Any tips would be very helpful.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:52 AM
No reason to over pay in my opinion. The "generic" BlueDEF meets the required specs and it is cheaper and more readily available so other than the initial "crush" bottle I picked up that's what I used when I did my refill.

The 5k service interval doesn't have anything to do with the reliability of the motor. Somewhere around here are some Blackstone results where the owner pushed beyond the 5k interval (I think out to 8k?) and the results seemed to indicate that the oil indeed wouldn't fare well at the original 10k interval that the RoW uses. The belief is that this has to do with how dirty our diesel is here in the US, but VAG hasn't reduced the OCI on the other vehicles using the same motor we have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 958 Diesel: Refill AdBlue tank