Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Thanks Moe.
Love your documentary.
You're welcome and appreciate you checking it out

Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 PM
MTRX is on a distinguished road
Hi Moe, I see that you recommend Lumiere All Natural Leather Cleaner for interiors with leather. I have just purchased a pre-owned Panamera which it looks like had some kind of armorol type of product on it because leather is slightly shiny and feels greasy. Since this is not my first Porsche I know that this is not how leather should be. So I wanted to remove and clean all this chemicals off the leather in the car. Should I be using the same Lumiere Cleaner? And where can I buy it? It looks like your online store is closed for maintenance.
Lastly, I do have Leatherique cleaner, which I previously used on my other Porsche and I wasn't 100% satisfied with it since it left my leather a bit shiny and kind of spotty. Can I used that instead?

Please advise.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Diamond Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Moe,

#2 I see all these posts for Leather conditioners and protectors. Isn't all modern car leather in Porsches plastic coated? Therefore none of those conditioners and protectants never get into the leather? And shouldn't you get a plastic protectant instead? For example CarPro PERL (what do you you think of that product), and would love to hear your opinion on products for leather

#2 What product to you reccomend to coat clear bras so that it beads water? I use a blower to dry my car and this clear bra is covering a lot of the paint.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
Hi Moe,

#2 I see all these posts for Leather conditioners and protectors. Isn't all modern car leather in Porsches plastic coated? Therefore none of those conditioners and protectants never get into the leather? And shouldn't you get a plastic protectant instead? For example CarPro PERL (what do you you think of that product), and would love to hear your opinion on products for leather

#2 What product to you reccomend to coat clear bras so that it beads water? I use a blower to dry my car and this clear bra is covering a lot of the paint.
Been a while since I've posted here...may need to update my recommendations since so many advancements in the past few years.

To answer your question, on paper, yes, most leathers are coated with a clear and technically cannot benefit from traditional leather conditioners.

But in practice, we do see and feel a tremendous improvement by cleaning and conditioning any leather.

As for CarPro Perl, I love the stuff and we actually use it daily to conditioner tires and plastic trims. You just have to find a dilution ratio you like. I personally don't use it as a leather conditioner. For a good leather conditioner, look into Zymol Treat.

As for clear bra, CarPro Reload is an excellent product to help protect and enhance the appearance of ppf. Just make sure the film is clean first by using clay, ironx, and reset. Depending on condition of the film, you may require some, or all the prep products I just mentioned.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Diamond Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Please comment on this Wash & Dry Technique

I am cross posting this post from the main forum in hopes I can get Moes specific feedback on this:

I previously owned a Meteor Grey Audi S5. I had it Ceramic Pro'ed. I used this (which I will explain) method before, and got very little if not any swirling.

4 years later I sold the S5 and now I purchased a BLACK Panamera after I swore I would never get another black car again. And I am more concerned with this car because its black.

My method is to use a a pressure washer to hose off the car, I then use a foam cannon with Optimum Car Wash (3 oz to a quart bottle in the foam cannon) , I let it foam, sit for about 3 minutes, I use wheel woolies to go over the wheels only (not the rest of the car) during this time, then pressure wash it all off. I then use a leaf blower to blow my car dry. I then Use Optimum Products Optimum No Rinse diluted to quick detail-er proportions (I ounce to 1 quart water) and spray that on visible places the foam did not get left over stuff (e.g. pollen spots) completely off with a plush micro fiber. Its usually only about 3 or 4 places. I also wipe down some light water spotting areas (4 or 5 areas).

I theorized that less touching of the car is better and I want to minimize touching to avoid swirls.

But I see almost everyone using the cannon, then the 2 bucket method and it makes me wonder if I am not getting all the dirt off and run the risk of swirling that into the paint?

Again, my Audi always looked great with this method and there were virtually no swirls over 4 years, but it was grey and not black. I decided not to OPticoat Pro this car because of the raised prices over 4 years on the Opticoat and I had to apply wax or sealants (eg. OPtiseal) over it every 4-6 months anyway to keep it super glossy (Ceramic Sealers seem to still need maintenance to look good). So I figured I would just traditional wax every 4-6 months since I did it even with he Optic-Coat Pro. I'm too afraid to do the Opti Gloss on my own.
  • Could you please comment on your thoughts on my washing method?
  • Is not going over it with a mit after foaming it leaving Dirt behind that can swirl the paint or is touching it with a mit more of a risk for swirls?
  • I am almost out of ONR. Is there a better product I should be using as quick detailer? I use 1 oz per 1 qt of this stuff in hopes it lubricates so that when I spot wipe, it won't swirl.

Last edited by Diamond Dog; 10-02-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Premium Sponsor
I am cross posting this post from the main forum in hopes I can get Moes specific feedback on this:

I previously owned a Meteor Grey Audi S5. I had it Ceramic Pro'ed. I used this (which I will explain) method before, and got very little if not any swirling.

4 years later I sold the S5 and now I purchased a BLACK Panamera after I swore I would never get another black car again. And I am more concerned with this car because its black.

My method is to use a a pressure washer to hose off the car, I then use a foam cannon with Optimum Car Wash (3 oz to a quart bottle in the foam cannon) , I let it foam, sit for about 3 minutes, I use wheel woolies to go over the wheels only (not the rest of the car) during this time, then pressure wash it all off. I then use a leaf blower to blow my car dry. I then Use Optimum Products Optimum No Rinse diluted to quick detail-er proportions (I ounce to 1 quart water) and spray that on visible places the foam did not get left over stuff (e.g. pollen spots) completely off with a plush micro fiber. Its usually only about 3 or 4 places. I also wipe down some light water spotting areas (4 or 5 areas).

I theorized that less touching of the car is better and I want to minimize touching to avoid swirls.

But I see almost everyone using the cannon, then the 2 bucket method and it makes me wonder if I am not getting all the dirt off and run the risk of swirling that into the paint?

Again, my Audi always looked great with this method and there were virtually no swirls over 4 years, but it was grey and not black. I decided not to OPticoat Pro this car because of the raised prices over 4 years on the Opticoat and I had to apply wax or sealants (eg. OPtiseal) over it every 4-6 months anyway to keep it super glossy (Ceramic Sealers seem to still need maintenance to look good). So I figured I would just traditional wax every 4-6 months since I did it even with he Optic-Coat Pro. I'm too afraid to do the Opti Gloss on my own.
  • Is not going over it with a mit after foaming it leaving Dirt behind that can swirl the paint or is touching it with a mit more of a risk for swirls?
  • I am almost out of ONR. Is there a better product I should be using as quick detailer? I use 1 oz per 1 qt of this stuff in hopes it lubricates so that when I spot wipe, it won't swirl.
Porsche paint will be softer than your audi paint...so, same method, may yield you different results.

With Panamera being black, it'll be pretty difficult to keep it perfect ALL the time, but you can probably try out your routine on it, and see what happens. Chances are, paint isn't perfect at moment anyway.

I'm a huge fan of a proper soap and water wash. If you have the time and access to doing it, results will be superior since washing means you'll be rinsing the entire car in every nook and cranny.

Contact Corey at CarPro USA and he's an amazing asset to help guide you with product choices and advice.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:36 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !

I have posted several times with a dark blue Pana and the same complaint you have. You are not getting all the dirt off with your stated method. I do what you do first and then wash. The swirls appear no matter how careful and what you use. I also blow dry most and waffle towel with a spray wax at end. You may be swirling with the dirt after the wash when you dry (if you wipe). I polish my car about every 6 months. Getting tired and thank God it a lease. My first and last dark car. I have made many compliant here about the lack of durability with Porsche paint as I have had many other cars that don t seem to ever need polishing as I am careful and take care of my cars. Don t know what to tell you other than what I did about the cannon.If you cannon wash it and then just leave it from there, when it dry s you ll see the dirt. Just finished polishing again today.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:42 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Why wouldn’t you get a full paint correction then add a clear bra?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:38 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
not worth it to me on a lease. That only protects a small portion of the issue.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:42 PM
so the OPer doesn t feel like he s doing something wrong, here s mine after months of hand washing, correct mitts, correct towels, blow dry most, garage kept.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	515579  
Old 11-05-2017, 01:43 PM
first pic not that good trying this one.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	515580  
Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Just got a '99 911 Carrera today. What would be best to use on the flexible accordion like shielding on the rear spoiler that pops up and down? I was thinking a good vinyl or rubber conditioner, but I don't really know that that material is for sure. First Porsche - first Porsche type question. Thanks as always for your time!!!

UPDATE: found out it's rubber....so I will treat it accordingly.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!

Last edited by Slik560; 11-27-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Hello, what’s the best way to clean a new convertible top? Do I need to put some kind of sealer on it yet? Thx.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
A new top should not really need anything. Just keep an eye on what happens when it gets wet. When the water beading stops, it's time for a good cleaning and a treatment. Ragg Topp makes some excellent products for this.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:53 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
Thx. Can I clean it with my regular wash(optimum) or should I just use water?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe