New Member Introductions New here? Introduce yourself to the 6SpeedOnline Community and show us your ride!

New Member Greetings from Switzerland!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM
GetALife75 is on a distinguished road
New Member Greetings from Switzerland!

Greetings fellow forummers!

Just in case you see the exact same thread over in Rennlist, I have used the same text here as well.

I am new to this wonderful forum and also new to Porsches. Never owned one in my entire life and still yet to buy one. Hoping to learn from the gurus here and pick up as much information that I can before dumping the cash for a 911.

Quick intro about myself. My name is Rodney and I am originally from Singapore. Have been working and living in Switzerland since 2008. Beautiful country and lots of awesome mountain passes to attack.

Since my move to Europe, my car history in sequence includes the following ...

07 Mini Cooper S 6MT, 11 Subaru Impreza STI Hatchback 6MT, 08 BMW E92 M3 6MT, 07 VW Golf 6 GTI 6MT, 09 BMW E93 M3 DCT, 12 VW Golf 6 R DSG and 07 BMW Z4 M Roadster 6MT

The last 2 are currently what I am driving.

I have admired and lusted after Porsche 911s since my teenage days. That sleek and instantly recognizable design. So I am now finally ready to go for it!

The GT3 has since forever been the holy grail for me. But I am not sure that I can ever fulfill the potential of that car. I would only classify myself as an above average driver. A 997 GT3 would be the dream car to have. But I feel that it would be a waste in my hands (and feet). So realistically I have decided that I would go for a 991 C2S.

And because I have no prior experience with 911s or Porsches for that matter, except for a quick test drive in a 997.2 TT PDK, the main dilemma I face now is which transmission to go for.

Ok before anyone starts jumping, I must first say the intention here is NOT to start another MT vs AT war. I am VERY sure that I am equally happy driving a MT or AT. You can see that there's a good mix from the various cars that I used to own. For me there is NO right or wrong or which transmission is BETTER.

My dilemma stems from not knowing how the new 7MT drives in a daily situation. I have already tried the PDK and it is definitely very capable. I would rate it better than BMW's DCT. But I never could really fall in love with BMW M cars' 6MT. Vague and sloppy shifter with notchy and clunky gear shifts.

I have only read good things about the 6MT for the older gen 911s. So what I would really like to hear about now are real world experiences from 911 991 7MT owners. Would be even better when it is from a C2S.

The C2S will be a second car and driven a couple of days a week with good weather to work and definitely on the weekends. Occasionally I will hit the Nürburgring and participate in a couple of trackdays a year. I plan to sell the Z4 M and keep the Golf 6 R for all other purposes.

All feedback are much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to 6Speed, Rodney! The GT3 is really magnificent. My dream is a GT3 RS. The 991 C2S is also a great vehicle. Good luck with your decision and your purchase.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-03-2015, 12:22 PM
GetALife75 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome to 6Speed, Rodney! The GT3 is really magnificent. My dream is a GT3 RS. The 991 C2S is also a great vehicle. Good luck with your decision and your purchase.
Thanks! The RS is of course awesome but a bit too much for the street. At least for me.