Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"
View Poll Results: C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more fun to drive on the street?
Nissan GTR all the way
40.69%
C6 Z06: Lays down 100 feet of rubber at an intersetion
42.07%
996 GT3: Go with finesse
17.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more entertaining overall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM
SPEED RACER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by substance
link? salvaged?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29421

Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Only reason Im mentioning this is because you mentioned the 80+k GTR. If you have the ability to afford the GTR why not look at a used Lamborghini Gallardo. They start at around 83k and up depending on year. http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/lam...lardo-overview

If the GTR/Gallardo is biting off more than you can handle now I say the C6 Z06 will more than satisfy you with ease. And its much cheaper to upkeep and mod than the others and you will have a nasty, sexy looking weekend warrior that will hang with most cars on the road stock to stock and have great gas milage for the power you get.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
If another person talks about the interior on a track day car....welll I'll.. forget it...if you want a good interior buy a used XKR. If you want your socks blown off and still have your shoes on get a Z06 and don't look back!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
lumber will become famous soon enough
I owned a 07z for 2 years, went to a gtr for 5 months, and moved into my current 997 gt3.

If this car is going to be a "whenever you feel like it" driver, I would get the Zo6. The gtr will bore you if you drive it at the speed limit.

I found it too quiet, sterile, and uninvolving. The Z on the other hand was the exact opposite. And for 25k less a no-brainer...

Both cars are awesome on paper, but once behind the wheel, it is what it is...and I really wanted to like the gtr.

Even if you were to want to try a gtr, I would wait a year, youll see them in the 50s...I sold mine with 4k miles for 70k.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
As a GT-R owner, I'd recommend the Z06. Just like a lot of the others who commented, the Z06 might give you that 'fun' factor that a car that will always make up for your inexperience won't.

Nevermind all of the modifications - right out of the box the Z06 is track ready (obviously could be improved). But quite capable as is. There is plenty of power on tap, and you break it loose whenever you want.

When factoring cost, the Z06 can be had (used) for a lot less (under your max). Whereas the GT-R starts above that, and then you include taxes as well.

The GT-R is very tame and civil for the daily commute. It can sometimes be relaxing. If you don't like this, again I'd say Z06.

These two cars are almost nothing alike. They accomplish the same goal, just two completely different philosophies.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM
lumber will become famous soon enough
These two cars are almost nothing alike. They accomplish the same goal, just two completely different philosophies
...agree completely.

Another thing to consider, if you buy a gtr and track it, you will have a very difficult time selling it. Ask me how I know...

Most guys in the market for a used gtr are expecting a garage queen, (cant blame them) and wont touch a "tracked" car.

This becomes a big factor if you buy a gtr and find that you dont like it/ want something else...

This kept me from taking mine to the track, where this car shines, because I knew I wouldnt have it very long...fwiw

Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ I think the same could be said about any high-end-ish car. Nobody wants one that's been beaten. Same could be said for Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Honda Civic, Hyundai Tiburon, etc...

Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
CARTOON is on a distinguished road
I like both, but I'd have to agree with the majority here and say the Z06. Have you maybe also considered throwing the Viper into the mix? You can get a new 600HP SRT for mid-high 60's at this point, or a used for a lot less. Definitely within your budget. It not only has the fun-factor, but it also has the looks and HP. They're also very reliable and easy to modify.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
^Truth. Perfect weekend warrior. Small money with bolton's can net you over 600rwhp. The 08/09 Vipers are very nasty. Might do you good to test drive the Z06, Viper and GTR[if they let you] before you decide.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The Viper is a very good track day car, but its even less forgiving than the Vette is! It has no stability control to even temper the sliding off the road backward.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Most people like to say stuff like this about the Viper and it was once true about two generations ago. One of the great lines I read from back in the day about the Gen I/II Vipers was from an old Top Gear mag that tested one: "Man and machine locked in mortal combat" lol.

A car like the Viper exposes lack of driving skill because there are no nannies to help out. Ultimate man and machine pure driving interface imho. Check out what some of the reviews have said about the Gen III and IV.

Gen III:

Excerpt from C&D Lightening Lap 06:

"The Dodge Viper SRT10 coupe's 3:01.6 lap — only a half-second behind the 277-pound-lighter Z06 — was surprisingly quick. The Viper was easy to drive fast — almost too easy, because it felt a little soulless at first. The engine sounded flatulent, the shifter was clunky, and the Dodge wanted to understeer everywhere. But when we leaned on it hard, it came alive: The steering weighted up, and we dialed out the understeer with gobs of V-10 torque. But the most amazing thing was that despite 510 horses and 535 pound-feet of torque, it took serious wrangling to get the tail out — and when we did, the slide was progressive and neat. Through the uphill esses the car was awesome, the most planted and confidence inspiring of the bunch. "

Gen IV:

Excerpt from C&D Lightning Lap 08:

"The Viper is just the opposite. Its ease of use doesn’t come from prominent understeer but rather from a neutral, progressive, perfectly balanced chassis enhanced by aerodynamic downforce. It’s a pussycat, which is a strange thing to say about a car with 600 horsepower. But it’s content to dance gently around the limit, letting the driver comfortably use every bit of the car’s stunning speed. Where the GT-R simply goes out and does the job, the Viper gives the driver the perfect tools to do the job manually. Its friendliness is nothing short of amazing."

Old 06-19-2009, 04:57 PM
CARTOON is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with what Snake said. The Viper is one of the rawest, if not the rawest STREET LEGAL car on the market.

All four (adding the Viper into the mix) are great cars and I dont think you'd be making a wrong decision on picking any one of them. They all have their good and bad qualities. And despite how much I love the Viper, I also really have a soft spot for the Z06 and Im definitely liking the GT-R more then I did when it first came out. I like the Porsche for what it is, but not quite what I like as an all-around car.

Bottom line, we can all give you opinions, and thats what you're looking for, but ultimately it comes down to what you think would fit you and your situation better.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:19 PM
GeorgeJ is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the feedback gents! It has been very helpful to read them all.

First of all, my GT2 was the most exciting car I have ever owned and miss it all the time. It was fairly well dialed in with Motons, GT700 kit and a few other tweaks. I had an investment opportunity with a friend, which is why I sold the GT2. I thought the investment would appreciate quickly and the GT2 would continue to do the opposite. Very bad choice. The investment is now worth only 20% of my original basis

Moving on, I want another sports car to fill the void left by the GT2, but with a smaller budget to work with. I am really intrigued by the GTR due to all the praise I hear about the car. The GTR is definitely one of my top 3 choices. If it were RWD, it probably would be a done deal for me. I really wish my neighbor would trust me to wring out his car, but no dice. He is purely a straight line guy that loves to race people out of the hole at stoplights, so the GTR is perfect for him. Unfortunately, he does not utilize the GTR for its other talents. The GTR sounds like a badass car stock and with mods, probably even better. I also like the fact that the GTR is a lot more rare than the Z06, but I still think the Z06 looks nicer overall. A lot of people think the Z06 looks like a garden variety C6, but the same was said about my GT2 and a standard 911. Obviously, I don't agree.

If I go for the Z06, I probably would do some suspension mods, lightweight wheels, non runflats and brake pad tuning before any power mods. I know the interior quality is not up to par compared to the imports, but after a set of recaros I think it will be fine. Then again the money I have to spend getting the Z06 where I like it would easily put me in GTR money. A Z06 with these mods plus a head and cam packge would be hell of a performance car. Maybe even eclipse my old modded GT2 overall?

I like Vipers too, especially the latest 600 hp version, but they are a little too wild looking for me. I guess I am a little on the conservative side.

Still confused here. Thanks again for the opinions!

Last edited by GeorgeJ; 06-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Considering the requirements you listed, I believe the Z06 will suit you better. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
GT2 - next?

I'm basically in the same boat as the OP. Also looking at the GT-R. Seems like you miss your GT2. Mine is similarly modded and a thrill ride each time I get in it. Just thought it was time to move on to something newer-but the drive is the thing and your comments are giving me pause to reconsider...Maybe order the new GT3? I'm lost in space with my decision...

Last edited by NelsonF; 06-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.