Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"
View Poll Results: C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more fun to drive on the street?
Nissan GTR all the way
40.69%
C6 Z06: Lays down 100 feet of rubber at an intersetion
42.07%
996 GT3: Go with finesse
17.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more entertaining overall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
GeorgeJ is on a distinguished road
C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more entertaining overall?

It is time to get a weekend sports car again and I am considering either a used 2007 or 2008 Z06 or a 2009 GTR. I can find a 2007 Z06 in the high $40’s and 2008’s in the low $50’s. The GTR on the other hand is going to cost me mid $60’s. I hate to say it, but the $15k+ delta between the 08 Z06 and 09 GTR is meaningful and my max budget is high $60’s. Damn the economy!

My last sports car was a 2002 GT2 that I modded with a GT700 kit. I loved that car for its strong performance, rawness and driving purity. I also liked that fact that it took talent to drive the GT2 quickly since there were no electronics to save your butt and make you look better than you really are. I like to think I am an above average driver and feel at home in the advanced/expert run groups at performance driving events.

I like the Z06 because it’s RWD and has good potential for more power. I have read it’s a handful at the limit, which I find appealing and a challenge. Most likely, I will just add a tune and head and cam package and call it a day. However a low boost supercharger is not out of the question if it proves to be reliable and reasonably priced. I also think the Z06 is much better looking than the GTR. However, I hate the seats and will be the first item to be replaced. The Z06 appears to be a visceral car and sounds and feels monstrous with a H/C package. Will a former GT2 owner find the Z06 satisfying to own over the long haul?

The GTR has received so much hype that I got caught up in it as well. It appears to outperform the competition on road courses, but is it boring to drive? I have driven my neighbor’s GTR and was impressed by the throttle response and midrange acceleration. However, I have not taken it through any twisties, since my neighbor would freak out. The interior of the GTR is nicer than the Z06, even though the design is a little odd in my opinion. The big thing I am concerned about is whether the AWD setup will bore me to death. I had a 996TT briefly and hated it for feeling boring and too competent. I just felt I could not make a mistake in the car and was never challenged. That car put me to sleep, so I sold it for the GT2 which was a different car all together. I most likely would keep the GTR stock except for a tune and exhaust. The sound from factory exhaust is severely lacking in my opinion. Bottom line, is the GTR fun to drive compared to the Z06? I really don't care that Millen turned a faster lap in it versus the Z06.

The third possibility, but a long shot, is a 996 GT3, which would fall between the Z06 and GTR in cost, but will be severely lacking in the horsepower department.

Which do you guys think is the better choice for me as a weekend frustration release vehicle?

Thanks
George

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM
substance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud of
im curious to know where u can find a GTR for mid 60s. please share it with us.

shouldnt u be considering the 997.1 GT3 as well? its in the same class as the GTR and drives much better than the 996

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM
cephas is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by substance
im curious to know where u can find a GTR for mid 60s. please share it with us.

shouldnt u be considering the 997.1 GT3 as well? its in the same class as the GTR and drives much better than the 996
not in 60's

Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
airtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to all
i'm almost certain the ZO6 is the best way to go for you

it's going to be really affordable based on your budget and less expensive to mod as well

if you did not like the 996tt (too competent for your taste, although some like it on the track as it's relatively easy to mod) and already had a modded gt2 (i'm sure you sold that for a good enough reason)

the fact that you like a car that is raw and makes you work a little bit excludes the GTR (not suggesting that it's a knock on the GTR)

beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is the quote "fun to drive" factor....i mean you did not like the 996tt and a whole lot of folks find it REALLY fun to drive.....so i think that is a personal thing

i would do a 07 ZO6 and spend the rest of the money to make it a monster on the track....although even out of the box it's a formidable weapon

good luck and enjoy whatever you end up getting in good health

Last edited by airtrackk; 06-16-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: -
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
SPEED RACER is on a distinguished road
There is a wrecked GTR for $25k on sale. Very Wrecked.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 PM
substance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SPEED RACER
There is a wrecked GTR for $25k on sale. Very Wrecked.

link? salvaged?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
mcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nice
Z06 gets my vote over the GT-R especially if your looking for a bang for buck car to challenge yourself with, now i can't speak for track experience but i have driven a Z06 and test driven a GT-R and found the Z06 to be the more "rawr" of the two... costs definitely play into your decision and i think a bang for buck reliable car vs. a 20k tranny dumper says it

Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
A Z06 with a set of Moton remote resevoir shocks and R compound tires with either heads/ cam or a supercharger would be an absolute terror on the track. And it would give you the rawness and challenge it sounds like you are looking for.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 AM
airtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by germeezy1
A Z06 with a set of Moton remote resevoir shocks and R compound tires with either heads/ cam or a supercharger would be an absolute terror on the track. And it would give you the rawness and challenge it sounds like you are looking for.
yup
i think motons/good pads/good tires/minor engine tweaks and you are good to go
there are not a lot of folks who find ZO6 lacking power
as it is.....it's a handful

Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 AM
oh and please for WHOEVER YOU BELIEVE IN'S SAKE let's not turn this into a another pissing contest between GTR vs Vette vs Porsche .......pretty please

Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 AM
mcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nice
moton's...:drool:

Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
The Z06 is more entertaining. It kicks its rear-end everytime you hit a minor undulation mid-corner.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Dick Fidd is on a distinguished road
Z06 - there was a sweet Katech build in the for sale forum - not sure if it sold. I would look for a pre-modded vehicle since you mentioned price-sensitivity, and there sure are enough cars around...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 AM
BlackSheep will become famous soon enough
07-08 (08 is a better car, not as stiff rear sway bar which helps keep the rear settled better, Beefier T60 trans and the interior is a bit nicer w/ the faux carbon fibre rather than the gray painted center console)... Z06 w/ coilovers, r compounds, 3.73's and H/C= White knuckled hair on fire ride of your life.... less than 60K when all said and done.. 600rwhp N/A Z06 is an absolute animal and a handfull... I am a bit biased though!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 AM
TwiZteD will become famous soon enough
Get the GTR, cost about $70k +
I owned the C6 Z06 and sold it after 6 months, not for me, checking out the GTR now.
To much plastic and rancid smell from it, even the supra mkiv from 93 was better quality in the interier then the corvette

Just my opinion

// André

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.