Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"
View Poll Results: C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more fun to drive on the street?
Nissan GTR all the way
40.69%
C6 Z06: Lays down 100 feet of rubber at an intersetion
42.07%
996 GT3: Go with finesse
17.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

C6 Z06 or GTR: Which is more entertaining overall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
But his question was - which is more entertaining?

I think if he likes the feeling of losing control and then reeling it back in, he'd be better with a Z06. With the GT-R you're in control almost all of the time, and it's hard to get it out of shape. Sure the GT-R may net faster laps, be better for the daily drive in inclement weather, and have a backseat, etc... (a lot of the same benefits of a 911), but that's not the goal of the OP.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Mentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
But his question was - which is more entertaining?

I think if he likes the feeling of losing control and then reeling it back in, he'd be better with a Z06. With the GT-R you're in control almost all of the time, and it's hard to get it out of shape. Sure the GT-R may net faster laps, be better for the daily drive in inclement weather, and have a backseat, etc... (a lot of the same benefits of a 911), but that's not the goal of the OP.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The OP was looking for a new weekend entertainment-stress release car. If it was going to be an awesome car that will be a DD and used, say durring inclimate weather, then GTR sure. But the thing about a GTR is that it's hard to get it out of control and when you loose control, the car still hasn't. I believe if the OP regards himself as a above average driver he should be able to tackle the Z06 with a few mods (like everyone's mentioned). Of the cars on the list, I would say Z06 because. You dismissed the GT3 because of HP, fine. Moving on the GTR, as people have explained (even GTR owners), it's not terribly fun to drive most of the time and when you can open it up in the back of your mind resale might be lurking. Z06 has gobs of power out of the box and can take on the twisties. It's more balanced. Meaning where the GTR and GT3 are both specialized in the way (more track oriented fun) the Z06 you can have fun anywhere. Will you make the same lap times? Probably not. But it can still do everything your looking for, kinda like a swiss army knife.

just my .02

Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mentosman43
... Moving on the GTR, as people have explained (even GTR owners), it's not terribly fun to drive most of the time and when you can open it up in the back of your mind resale might be lurking.
Whoa... I wouldn't go that far. I find it disgustingly amusing to drive everyday everywhere I go. I just have a different definition of 'fun' than the OP.

I get amused by the lateral G forces going through corners (even on public streets and not having to speed - i.e. turning at 35mph onto a 45mph while accelerating mid-turn).

On track, I get amused when I can apply full throttle extremely early (a lot earlier than in most cars) and feel acceleration in places that once had to be off throttle or starting to depress the accelerator (milking the throttle). I get amused when I can late brake and turn the wheel and when the car doesn't turn, just add more throttle. It's an RWD with 4W traction.

I get amused because I will always have traction on the streets regardless of conditions, terrain, etc...

You ALWAYS have traction.

I get amused when my daughter (who only has a permit) drives my car better than she drives her own Jetta. It inspires confidence. You really feel like you can do anything.

She's amused that she can drive a 505hp car (tuned with AP stage 1).

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I get amused because I will always have traction on the streets regardless of conditions, terrain, etc...

You ALWAYS have traction.

I get amused when my daughter (who only has a permit) drives my car better than she drives her own Jetta. It inspires confidence. You really feel like you can do anything.
I would have to agree, the GTR seems to be very amzing in terms of all day street fun, and tuned up, they are just crazy, about as close to a 500K supercar/forumula 1 as you will get for under 100K, IMHO.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:40 AM
GeorgeJ is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

I finally made the decision and purchased an 2008 Z06. I appreciate all the feedback and feel I made the right choice for me. It was a tough decision and still wonder if I should have got a GTR.

The GTR I test drove was very impressive and the most competent car I have ever driven, which is why I decided on the Z06. The Z06 gets my pulse going and challenges me as a driver to extract all its handling abilities (or is it control the Z06's tricky at the limit handling characteristics?). Whatever it is, I am having lots of fun so far.

I will eventually do a few mods including wheels w/ non-runflats, coilovers and H/C kit to makes things even more interesting.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by GeorgeJ; 08-22-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Dick Fidd is on a distinguished road
Sweet! If you're in Norcal, bring it by Santana Row so we can see it!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Hey guys,

I finally made the decision and purchased an 2008 Z06. I appreciate all the feedback and feel I made the right choice for me. It was a tough decision and still wonder if I should have got a GTR.

The GTR I test drove was very impressive and the most competent car I have ever driven, which is why I decided on the Z06. The Z06 gets my pulse going and challenges me as a driver to extract all its handling abilities (or is it control the Z06's tricky at the limit handling characteristics?). Whatever it is, I am having lots of fun so far.

I will eventually do a few mods including wheels w/ non-runflats, coilovers and H/C kit to makes things even more interesting.

Thanks again!!
Congrats man... I personally don't feel you should have any second thoughts. It sounds like you got the right car based on your intentions.

Enjoy your car - it is one of the best performing cars out there right now.

Please feel free to post your opinions about your experiences.

I do have one question regarding ownership experience - do they have a special program for Z06 owners (or 'Vette owners in general) for no waiting privileges, mandatory loaners, things like that?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:01 AM
uaeturbo has a spectacular aura aboutuaeturbo has a spectacular aura about
Congrats man

Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Congrats man... I personally don't feel you should have any second thoughts. It sounds like you got the right car based on your intentions.

Enjoy your car - it is one of the best performing cars out there right now.

Please feel free to post your opinions about your experiences.

I do have one question regarding ownership experience - do they have a special program for Z06 owners (or 'Vette owners in general) for no waiting privileges, mandatory loaners, things like that?
+1 on all those points.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM
snakebite52 is infamous around these parts
Bump from the dead...any other Gtr to z06 impressions? I have a 600rwhp c6z now and as much as I love it and it really gets me going, it's just too much on the street and it's gotten to the point where I'm sick of doing daily driving type tasks and looking for something more tame and manageable on the street

Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by snakebite52
Bump from the dead...any other Gtr to z06 impressions? I have a 600rwhp c6z now and as much as I love it and it really gets me going, it's just too much on the street and it's gotten to the point where I'm sick of doing daily driving type tasks and looking for something more tame and manageable on the street
I had a c6z and just moved to a 997TT. I felt the same way about my vette as you do. I owned it for over 8 years and just didnt find enjoyment taking it to the store or on roadtrips anymore. The 997 is def more tame and manageable. It is just so much more refined and smooth. For daily driving (although its not my DD) it is a much better platform. Problem is when you want to play it is not as wild/fun of a ride in normal driving (back road twisties both are fun). It just makes it all too easy. I thought about keeping both because they are so different but i knew the vette would get neglected. I also havent modified the TT because it is about 2x as expensive as the vette, but its easy to make power.

I cross shopped a newer GTR but didnt go drive one. I did a lot of reading but in the end i feel the 997 was the better all around car and i could still get a manual Cant argue with the performance of the GTR though.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you absolutely NEED a manual trans, go with the GTR. They are plenty fun on track and if you end up adding power, the AWD makes traction problems a distant memory.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.