Anyone here work in IB or Consulting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Opusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to behold
Anyone here work in IB or Consulting?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some insight on the recruitment opportunities for internships/jobs in the PNW area. I know its an odd question for a car forum but I figured Id ask, since there's probably a good chance someone here works in these fields.

I applied for a transfer to a few different schools in the WA area as well as a few of the "target" schools. So far I was waitlisted at Vanderbilt and an Ivy League I took a shot at, however UW was my safe school but surprisingly I got declined(3.85 GPA with documented success in business management). This has thrown me for a loop as far as the options I have available.

1. I can continue to attend Gonzaga, but so far I am unsure about how many opportunities are available without going to straight to an MBA program.(this school is starting to get expensive even with me getting their maximum academic scholarship)
2. Reapply to UW and also apply to a few more realistic schools I would have a good chance at (ie Kelley at Indiana, and NYU, but stern being more difficult to get into)
3. Transfer to WSU where I can get a free education, but the school isnt taken as serious despite them really stepping up their Business program over the last few years.

Anyone with insight is much appreciated. From what Ive been told these career fields have a lot to do with the "name brand" of your school getting your foot in the door

Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
kevindhamilton is on a distinguished road
Management Consulting

I'm a management consultant based in Seattle. Most of us based in Seattle travel a lot unless you're blessed with a long term contract at one of the big fortune 100 companies in the area. I'm a proud WSU undergrad, I personally think the major matters more than the school. My partners are a mix of state school, small privates and a few Ivy.

Depends on the kind of consulting you want to do... the big strategy houses clearly aren't recruiting at WSU. I wasn't clear if you're asking about where to get an MBA or where to finish your undergrad. Depending on your undergrad an MBA might be unncessary.

Kevin

Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Opusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kevindhamilton
I'm a management consultant based in Seattle. Most of us based in Seattle travel a lot unless you're blessed with a long term contract at one of the big fortune 100 companies in the area. I'm a proud WSU undergrad, I personally think the major matters more than the school. My partners are a mix of state school, small privates and a few Ivy.

Depends on the kind of consulting you want to do... the big strategy houses clearly aren't recruiting at WSU. I wasn't clear if you're asking about where to get an MBA or where to finish your undergrad. Depending on your undergrad an MBA might be unncessary.

Kevin
Thanks for the response, I decided to go with Gonzaga since they awarded me another academic scholarship making tuition basically free. I really enjoyed both trips to Pullman I made though. Im working on my Undergrad currently(going into junior year) with my major being accounting. Ive spoken with a few different advisors and they seemed to think accounting or finance would be the best route to go(Accounting at Gonzaga is considered of the most rigorous majors offered). I honestly hadnt planned on going for an MBA yet because Id rather gain work experience in the field.

As far as consulting goes Im most interested in Financial/Investment or Management consulting, simply because from my (limited) knowledge I think that's were I would best perform.