Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Check out my Datsun 240Z build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:43 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Damon:

Thanks much! OZ's aren't at all my style for this car though. I've already got the wheels covered. A blatantly modern shape with an obviously "faddy" color scheme would really ruin my vision for this car. I had John at CCW make a custom set of Classics in 17 for her. I love it. By the way, she started right up on first crank (after dry starts to dissipate fluids) yesterday, and is on the dyno today for tuning! But Damon, I love the black OZ Wheels and was actually on your website pricing them for my Audi S4 Avant that I picked up this week. It's Dolphin Gray Metallic, will be tracked, will have coilovers, and I WANT EXACTLY THE SAME WHEELS YOU SUGGESTED, but for that car!

I'll call you today.

Name:  image047.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  58.5 KB

Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
No start up video, one of the guys grabbed the wrong camera when he was at home for lunch (i.e. the shop camera died last night, right before first start up. Thankfully, another camera was present, so we were able to get the video still. He'll upload it tonight when he's home).

However, a few pictures from current progress:

John finalizing the breather system...

Name:  DSCN0003.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  142.0 KB

The custom coolant-overflow reservoir Chris designed...

Name:  DSCN0006.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  89.6 KB

And of course, the feed line is -4AN...

Name:  DSCN0004.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  112.9 KB

John designed a custom throttle cable bracket to relocate the path of the cable, out of the line of heat emanating from the turbine housing/downpipe...

Name:  DSCN0007.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  114.8 KB

Here is the path of the throttle cable now; as you can see, it matches its curvature perfectly with the PCV line, it's rather easy on the eye...

Name:  DSCN0008.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  139.9 KB

Two of the National Speed fabrication experts hard at it; Chris Polanski (President of National Speed, Inc. Stores) and John Faldzinski (one of our Performance Technicians)...

Name:  DSCN0009.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  122.7 KB

She's wrapping up.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blakt out
Damon:

Thanks much! OZ's aren't at all my style for this car though. I've already got the wheels covered. A blatantly modern shape with an obviously "faddy" color scheme would really ruin my vision for this car. I had John at CCW make a custom set of Classics in 17 for her. I love it.
No sweat, John makes a great wheel and they do make the car look much more...period.

Gimme a buzz on the Audi....

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM
A few more shots of the work thus far, it's about 98% completed, Chris is finishing up the fabrication work this evening.

The valve cover breather...

Driver side of the engine (i.e. where the vacuum reference location is)...

Name:  DSCN0047.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  133.2 KB

Passenger side of the engine (i.e. where the breather canister is mounted)...

Name:  DSCN0045.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  94.8 KB

Zoomed out a bit...

Name:  DSCN0050.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  145.0 KB

Arial shot of the engine bay as it sits now...

Name:  DSCN0056.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  132.2 KB

I love this shot…

Name:  DSCN0059.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0061.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  129.9 KB

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 AM
windydog is on a distinguished road
that car is so nice!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Just some pics that I wanted to share during this suspenseful time (for me) in waiting on the dyno tuning in the next few days.

I hope you all enjoy them as much as I am.

Name:  DSCN0066.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  149.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0071.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  152.8 KB

Check the breather separator/canister…

Name:  DSCN0086.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0073.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  121.3 KB

The vacuum reference…

Name:  DSCN0072.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  128.8 KB

Backside of the engine bay…

Name:  DSCN0074.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  150.4 KB

The intake tube and breather/separator canister support bracket...

Name:  DSCN0076.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  117.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0078.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0075.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  131.6 KB

Front shot…

Name:  DSCN0082.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  148.1 KB

And a few drama shots…

Name:  DSCN0092.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0090.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0086.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0097.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0099.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0100.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  63.4 KB

Thanks to Jordan at National Speed for hooking me up so constantly with wonderful pics of my baby.

See y’all tomorrow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0086.jpg (140.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
windydog is on a distinguished road
hey blakt out

i thought you sold your 911? your car is awesome.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks man. Yes I did. Kept this one.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Here are some vids. The first two are it just getting put onto the dyno. It's not dramatic, but I just love seeing it moving around under it's own power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKio_...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INK-...layer_embedded

Then, here's a very early tuning session on the dyno. This run goes to 4,000rpm or so and is only at 7psi. They're having to totally write the ECU map for this thing, so it takes a while.

I got some clarification today on the engine power. I had chosen in the beginning of the engine build to have a focus on minimizing turbo lag as long as it put 380-400hp down to the wheels. So, the turbo I got has a sweet spot in its efficiency range around 350 or so at the wheels. I'm really happy with this choice.

Here's a bit of cool info too. In a little dyno run like you see below (only at 7psi, but run up to 4,500rpm) it put over 200HP at the wheels. That means this engine is really going to have great midrange grunt. We're going to double (or a bit more) the psi as tuning goes on. I'm excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdd4...layer_embedded

Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Tuning session is going well. This one, on 10psi, got 302rwhp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfOLb...layer_embedded

Shortly thereafter (and while I was on the phone with them hearing this thing scream), it got 351rwhp at 14psi. The goal of 380-400 at high boost seems perfectly attainable.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
The car just did 421.90whp and 306.28ftlbs on 18psi! PUMP GAS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cKdkZAsRho

Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
That is just freakin' awesome!!!

Well done.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
It just did 431.44whp and 319.72ftlbs!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Mercennarius is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blakt out
It just did 431.44whp and 319.72ftlbs!
Wow very impressive...is this still on pump gas?

Car should be a beast with that much power...whats it weigh, 2300lbs?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mercennarius
Wow very impressive...is this still on pump gas?

Car should be a beast with that much power...whats it weigh, 2300lbs?
Yep. 93 octane. And it weighs a bit less than that. Since it's not all assembled, I don't yet know for sure. I'm betting closer to 2100 though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check out my Datsun 240Z build