Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

My 1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
Get the canadian spec. stuff and make it left hand drive................in japan!!!

It would be the only one.
It would be....but it's in America now! haha

Old 02-11-2016, 09:16 AM
max928 is on a distinguished road
Its a fun car, cool car, but for me the RHD in NA is a deal breaker. A few things to consider if you want one. Canada's DOT and EPA exemption kicks in at 15years or older, so we can import non complying cars earlier. There is a pretty big business importing cars from Japan here. Lots of JDM cars around here, a search of Craigslist will return a page of them. With the low CDN dollar VS the U.S. they are very cheap to buy and easier to import then from Japan. If you want one and you are in the U.S. look in Canada!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
Originally Posted by max928
Its a fun car, cool car, but for me the RHD in NA is a deal breaker. A few things to consider if you want one. Canada's DOT and EPA exemption kicks in at 15years or older, so we can import non complying cars earlier. There is a pretty big business importing cars from Japan here. Lots of JDM cars around here, a search of Craigslist will return a page of them. With the low CDN dollar VS the U.S. they are very cheap to buy and easier to import then from Japan. If you want one and you are in the U.S. look in Canada!
I'm actually pretty partial to LHD as that's the way I learned how to drive, but the first drive I had in my GT-R in the US didn't really phase me as much as I thought it would. I own both a Skyline GT-R and NSX in RHD, and though I prefer LHD, I don't mind the extra precautions in checking blind spots.

Canada is a double edged sword on this subject.

Some of the bonuses include the facts that the car is already in NA, has probably been owned and maintained by someone for at least a little while, and has a greater likelihood of having previous maintenance records. You can also just go drive, look at, and buy the car, bring it to the border, process CBP right there, and drive (the longggggggggg drive) home.

Some of the not-so-bonuses include the fact that Canadian sellers of such cars already know how much a US buyer is prepared to pay for such a car (at least the ones on the west coast) and have adjusted their asking prices accordingly. They'd never be able to sell it for $20K USD in Canada, but some US buyer will pay it. R32s also tend to rust....badly. If it was maintained in a garage and driven sparingly, you might luck out and not find any rust upon inspection. If it was left outside for Canadian winters, good luck? The 15 year Canadian EPA and DOT rules do not affect the US in any way other than the car may have spent some time being maintained in Canada. It still needs to be 25 years to the month when it hits the US border.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Sold the car to a guy in Tampa who will be able to drive it more than I have being 7000 miles away from it. I may find myself in another again, who knows. Maybe R34 here when they become old enough.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
Sold the car to a guy in Tampa who will be able to drive it more than I have being 7000 miles away from it. I may find myself in another again, who knows. Maybe R34 here when they become old enough.
I would love to legally do a R34 Skyline! But we need to wait atleast till 2024 to start importing the 1999 model year. That's 8 years of waiting.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:20 PM
max928 is on a distinguished road
True it still needs be 25 years for the U.S.. The winters in the lower mainland of BC, the coast is not as bad as the rest of Canada. Its more like Northern California VS Alaska. Last winter we had zero snow and it barely dropped below freezing. They seldom salt or use sand or even the chemical deice crap here. All the stuff that make the rest of Canada a rust zone. Ok, Vancouver's rain can cause problems but frequent washing helps (get dirt in build up areas). My 1991 one owner 190k kilometer 420SEL has zero rust and is very clean. Its been in Vancouver from new. You'd think it spent its life in Arizona.