Sponsored by:

Nervous Panamera Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:13 AM
brazeagle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OhNo!
Nervous buyer here as well...

Yo Kev I hope u dont mind me jumping on your thread (instead of starting another one) but i have questions for the first time Porsche (and/or Panamera) owners, but anyone can answer:

What was the deciding factor(s) that made you choose the Panamera versus all of the others in its class? (ie: Mercedes, BMW, Audi,...etc..)

How's the maintenance compared to other Makes/Models you've owned?

Ive been comparing the P to other cars and it seems like overall you're paying for the name. The panamera is behind the power curb on technology compared to many cars. (Ex: Back up camera is not standard, But every single new Honda comes with it)
I will take the opportunity to answer this with my experience on other brands.
I am an average middle class on a salary and usually finance my cars...so, no money to just blow, but rather to pay bills and enjoy while I can...
I had most brand cars, as I change ALMOST every year, from 2014 Shelbys to 2006 Carrera S and a couple of Jeep and Dodge SRTs.
Now, the nice BMWs are more expensive than the P, and Mercedes-Benz really is out of the equation IMO, as I think they look outdated, unless you can spend over 100K on a nice AMG.
The P is a awesome confortable vehicle, amazingly comfy, and the power on the base V6 isn't bad, unless you expect to have a high performance car (turbo, GTS, or a SRT, Shelby,etc.) Then the P is the awesomeness of all.
I got the P4 edition 2016 all options, the way I wanted and it was 88K, financed, little down pay.
I just came out of a 15 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (awesome car), but glamour only, as technology really sucks.
So the Panamera is a Porsche! and it is nice to drive a Porsche, it's unique, you will see 100s BMW and Mercedes and that all look alike, while few Porsche in the roads, they have a distinctive feeling, look and confort.
This is my second one and I just love it as I like to drive from NYC to Miami twice a year, and the P is just Something else on these trips.
By the way, it is also very personal, but I would not drive a Mercedes in NYC...unless you lived in Flushing!
Cheers
Luiz

Old 06-28-2016, 09:14 AM
OhNo! is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by brazeagle
I will take the opportunity to answer this with my experience on other brands.
I am an average middle class on a salary and usually finance my cars...so, no money to just blow, but rather to pay bills and enjoy while I can...
I had most brand cars, as I change ALMOST every year, from 2014 Shelbys to 2006 Carrera S and a couple of Jeep and Dodge SRTs.
Now, the nice BMWs are more expensive than the P, and Mercedes-Benz really is out of the equation IMO, as I think they look outdated, unless you can spend over 100K on a nice AMG.
The P is a awesome confortable vehicle, amazingly comfy, and the power on the base V6 isn't bad, unless you expect to have a high performance car (turbo, GTS, or a SRT, Shelby,etc.) Then the P is the awesomeness of all.
I got the P4 edition 2016 all options, the way I wanted and it was 88K, financed, little down pay.
I just came out of a 15 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (awesome car), but glamour only, as technology really sucks.
So the Panamera is a Porsche! and it is nice to drive a Porsche, it's unique, you will see 100s BMW and Mercedes and that all look alike, while few Porsche in the roads, they have a distinctive feeling, look and confort.
This is my second one and I just love it as I like to drive from NYC to Miami twice a year, and the P is just Something else on these trips.
By the way, it is also very personal, but I would not drive a Mercedes in NYC...unless you lived in Flushing!
Cheers
Luiz
Thanks for your input Luiz. My question for you would be: Why is Mercedes out of the equation? Ive been comparing the P to AMGs and M Bimmers. U touched on technology in your previously owned RRS but not the P. Here we are in 2016 and they still dont come with the push to start feature. The screen is still about a 7" while other makes have 10" MMI screens. I can go on and on...I dont doubt that this is one of the best performance 4 door coupes out there tho.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OhNo!
Thanks for your input Luiz. My question for you would be: Why is Mercedes out of the equation? Ive been comparing the P to AMGs and M Bimmers. U touched on technology in your previously owned RRS but not the P. Here we are in 2016 and they still dont come with the push to start feature. The screen is still about a 7" while other makes have 10" MMI screens. I can go on and on...I dont doubt that this is one of the best performance 4 door coupes out there tho.
Thanks,
I call technology, things that really makes a difference, for example, my JEEP has a 8.4 screen with lots of apps...I never use any of the apps! or rarely would use it. My jeep is FULL of crazy technology, WAY more than you can think a Porsche would ever have!...starting the engine from Ivory Coast, locking the door from Afghanistan, heating the car from Iraq, cooling the seats from Uganda, activating the panic horn from Sudan, having my guests connect their wifi within the car, etc...do I ever use it? nope...

The push button is nice, the P 2016 does have a key less start and go, even though it has a key inside...but, yes the 2016...

what I need in terms of comfort and safety is a back up camera, the 7 inches screen on my PCM (no need for bigger), a sun roof, blind spot detector, base cruise control...that is it that I can remember right now as what I really use.

The PDK on the Porsche is really great tech to have as well, and they all do.

The Porsche is REALLY unique, the BMs M series, they still look alike (even though they are nice) and they got power...nice to have...the AMGs are nice, but not so unique either, but the main problem is the PRICE of the M and AMG series...they are not the same as the P4 edition FULLY optioned, that is for sure, so I really like to stay with the Porsche, as it rarely gives you any symptoms of failure or problems, as I had before with 3 Range Rovers and a BMW...Mercedes, I just don't like the number of them out there...and PRICE WISE is the key for not having one of them to compare to a Porsche.
Take care.
Luiz

Old 07-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Yo Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Happy 4th of July friends. Test drove another 4S yesterday. 2011, 49,000 miles at a "high end" used dealer. Carfax shows it was just serviced at the Porsche dealer. Cylinder head gasket and camshaft adjuster solenoid changed. Coolant flush, ect. My question is, your thoughts on Ext warranty? I know the general feeling is to spend the extra $ on a CPO but there's a big gap in price. A friend of mine suggested just put an extra grand or two to the side just for car emergency. Better than 4 grand on a warranty. Thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-04-2016, 01:15 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
I'm with your friend...I never purchase warranties, and I come out ahead on that deal. If you can't afford a repair on the car then you can't afford the car. They are also reliable as hell.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Yo Kev
Happy 4th of July friends. Test drove another 4S yesterday. 2011, 49,000 miles at a "high end" used dealer. Carfax shows it was just serviced at the Porsche dealer. Cylinder head gasket and camshaft adjuster solenoid changed. Coolant flush, ect. My question is, your thoughts on Ext warranty? I know the general feeling is to spend the extra $ on a CPO but there's a big gap in price. A friend of mine suggested just put an extra grand or two to the side just for car emergency. Better than 4 grand on a warranty. Thoughts? Thanks
It sounds good, as long as this car has the evidence of what has been done during these years as far as maintenance goes, you are safe without warranty...WARRANTY is a not as good as people think! in special on a Porsche, which is a very reliable car.
If price is good, the car is nice and you know its past, GO FOR IT, it sounds nice.
Cheers
Luiz

Old 07-05-2016, 05:28 PM
91Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought mine with about 5 months left on the warranty and figured I'd identify anything wrong with it before the warranty ran out. I agree with those that don't think an extended warranty is worth it. If the car passes a good PPI then I wouldn't hesitate. Theses cars have all kinds of electronics protecting them from an overzealous driver.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Ok gents, on a whim, I test drove a 09 Targa 4S just for fun. Well, I shouldn't have done that. I've never driven a 911 before. It was a "proper" test ride. The price is right. Now I'm at a crossroad. Two totally different vehicles and both amazing in their own right. Decisions..........

Old 07-14-2016, 05:16 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
It comes down to what you need. 4 comfortable seats or 2. ;-)

Old 07-15-2016, 08:57 PM
lx4life is on a distinguished road
Ok gents, on a whim, I test drove a 09 Targa 4S just for fun. Well, I shouldn't have done that. I've never driven a 911 before. It was a "proper" test ride. The price is right. Now I'm at a crossroad. Two totally different vehicles and both amazing in their own right. Decisions..........
Hey Kev, Was the 2011 P4s white/black interior located in Brea,CA, cause I am looking at that car also. Did you test drive it and why did you not buy it?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Torn seat. Seller did not want to budge on the price. So, fix the seat and I'll pay your asking price. Nope, would not even consider it. Also, can't speak to him directly, call his wife, ask a question, she calls him gets the answer, calls you back. All that being said, I did test drive the car. Really nice with almost every option. If you read my earlier post, it's the on with the 2nd motor. Would have bought that car the next day but I do not think they really wanted to sell it (to me).

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Torn seat. Seller did not want to budge on the price. So, fix the seat and I'll pay your asking price. Nope, would not even consider it. Also, can't speak to him directly, call his wife, ask a question, she calls him gets the answer, calls you back. All that being said, I did test drive the car. Really nice with almost every option. If you read my earlier post, it's the on with the 2nd motor. Would have bought that car the next day but I do not think they really wanted to sell it (to me).
Yeah it being on the second motor is keeping me away from it, plus him not budging on the price, was there anyhting else, did you get a carfax or he show you service. Was it keyless start/entry? I did see a black P4s in Carlsbad that is CPO, you might want to take a look at that. Its at Hoehn Porsche. oh why do you think they didnt want to sell it to you, did your breathe smell?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:53 PM
I can't recall the keyless option. He did not provide a carfax. He provided some other history deal. His wife said if you want it, buy it yourself. I've moved on. Purchasing a Targa 4S. I know it's way off from the Pan. Really love the car. Got a decent deal so I went with it. Postponing the Pan for a couple of years..... Picking up the car this weekend.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 PM
I can't recall the keyless option. He did not provide a carfax. He provided some other history deal. His wife said if you want it, buy it yourself. I've moved on. Purchasing a Targa 4S. I know it's way off from the Pan. Really love the car. Got a decent deal so I went with it. Postponing the Pan for a couple of years..... Picking up the car this weekend.
Oh ok...sounds great! Make sure you post pics.