997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

test drive of 997 Carrera 4/4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
test drive of 997 Carrera 4/4S

hello all.

this is actually my FIRST post ever on 6speed, though i've been lurking here for the past 6-months or so, since i got my first P-car (an '03 996TT, 6spd). i've been a porsche fan for ages, and am totally elated to finally have one in my driveway.

this site is simply amazing, and it has been a pleasure simply reading all the entertaining and informative posts on here.

i've just gotten back from a weekend in Monaco, where Porsche is currently holding the media preview drives for the 997 Carrera 4 and 4S (i am part time editor for a motoring magazine). i thought some of you would be interested to hear about how the car is, so here goes...

LOOKS: as expected, the rear arches are wider than the standard carrera, by a total of slightly less than 2 inches. to be perfectly honest, the difference isn't that pronounced, compared to say the a 993 Carrera versus a 993 Turbo. but there's certainly a more "muscular" stance to the car. other than that, everything's exactly the same, aesthetically speaking.

DRIVETRAIN: basically carries over the 996 C4 mechanicals, though with minor revisions to mounting points and to keep weight down. (sorry, i've just gotten off the plane and my notes are still packed away!). notably, tire size at the back is up to 305 width now!

BRAKES: there's a new feature unique to the C4's brakes, wherein the hydraulics are "pre-filled", eliminating the gap between pad and rotor, whenever the system detects the driver's foot get quickly off the accelerator. similarly, when the driver steps on the brake pedal, but does not apply maximum pressure, the system also loads up, so that full braking is available almost instantaneously, if the driver demands it. both features are disabled when PSM is turned off (so those who abhor driver's aids can rest easy)

BEHIND THE WHEEL: what can i say? car was brilliant! i certainly missed the absolute "oomph" of my turbo, though the power deficiency was surely exagerrated by the elevation we were at (close to 1800 meters above sea level,) which sapped a lot of the power. but thru the col de torini, the car was a joy to drive, and reminded me how pleasurable a responsive normally aspirated motor can be.

suspension damping on those sometimes choppy mountain passes was so much better than on my (stock) turbo. i just left the PASM on normal setting, and wished my car had the same degree of compliance.

Over dinner, none other than Walter Rohrl himself (who was along for the event) said that the C4S's time around the nurburgring is identical to the regular Carrera. so there's no real weight penalty to speak of.

i have tons of pictures, and some videos in fact. except i have no idea how to post these...

cheers!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:00 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
some pics

ok, trying to post some pics here... hope it works!

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
shamrock is on a distinguished road
wow, thanks much for the pics! welcome to the board mate!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
more...

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM
drivetrain

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
another

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:05 PM
walter rohrl is at the wheel of this car. there was a short (2.4km) section of mountain road closed off, and he gave us all a demo of what the car is capable of in the right hands.

not a ride i shall soon forget!!!

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 PM
The Hot Banana
KO KAINE is on a distinguished road
WELCOME hesperus!!!

Very nice write-up, thanks.......NOW PLEASE POST UP EVERY PIC YOU HAVE............LOVE THE CAR!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:25 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
nice write up.

the ''S'' placement seems a little out of place.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by 20C4S
nice write up.

the ''S'' placement seems a little out of place.
i know the "S" seems too far from the 4 lol...

Old 06-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Welcome.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by KO KAINE
WELCOME hesperus!!!

Very nice write-up, thanks.......NOW PLEASE POST UP EVERY PIC YOU HAVE............LOVE THE CAR!
crikey! i have too many pics to post! i'll sift thru what i have and post the ok ones. am no pro photog! plus i hope my editor doesn't see this site. i don't think he'll be too chuffed that i've posted some of the photos before they come out in print!

the american and british press are scheduled to arrive in monaco for their turn at the cars this weekend.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
WOW - Welcome to the forum - please shoot me a PM

Old 06-08-2005, 12:43 PM
more

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 PM
another

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: test drive of 997 Carrera 4/4S