996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Getting a 996TT: Tiptronic or Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned
All Boost is on a distinguished road
Buying a 996TT: Tiptronic or Manual?

Hey everyone,

I'm the current owner of a 550HP 2003 Z06. I'm selling it though and am thinking of buying a 2001 911 Turbo. I'm having a tough time choosing between the tiptronic or 6 speed manual. I have a few questions about the tiptronic trans that I was hoping somebody might be able to answer...

1) How reliable is the tranny at around 450-500whp? I plan on doing a few bolt ons such as exhaust, test pipes,
chip, DVs, etc. and maybe a small shot (~50) of nitrous.

2) What's the stock stall speed of the trans?

3) What controls the shifts? Is there a separate "tip chip" like you have in the Tiptronic S4s? Or, is the shifting programmed via the main chip that controls boost, timing, etc? And lastly, is there anyone that not only reprograms that chip for more boost (GIAC, Upsolute, etc.) but also for quicker shifts?

4) I understand that the X50 996TT comes with a different, beefier transmission. Is this just for manual transmission equipped X50s or does the Tiptronic X50 also come with a different tranny?

Thanks for any info!

Marc

Last edited by All Boost; 01-31-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:19 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
The X50 does indeed come with a stronger 6 speed transmission, my answer to your question is: hands down a 6 speed.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:52 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
I would definately reccomend a 6 speed as well. Coming from a Z06, I think you will want to row your own gears in the 996tt as that is half the fun and allows you greater control over the turbos. From what I have heard, the auto cannot take much more then 500bhp.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:23 PM
luting_chen is on a distinguished road
go for 6 speed...
if you wanna mod ur car over 600hp... tip car will give u a headache and too many troubles to deal with...

Old 01-31-2004, 03:39 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
i guess the question is why would you even consider a tip? The only real advantage i see to the tip is if you want other people who can't drive stick (a wife possibly) to be able to drive your car. Other than that i'd say 6speed hands down.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned
All Boost is on a distinguished road
I wanted the tip because I think it will be far superior as far as drag and street racing are concerned. The thought of brake boosting that badboy off the line with AWD sounds sick! Then you don't have to worry about missing gears, hitting the rev limiter, burning the clutch up, etc. I saw one guy on this forum ("Sharkster") was running 11.6s @ 124mph with a tiptronic and just a $500 Upsolute chip! I think that's faster than any sticks have gone with just a chip, no?

But the flip side is I've read of a few people's horror stories on this forum with the tip grenading 2, 3, and even 4 times, having to be replaced under warranty. The manual transmission definitely seems to be able to take far more abuse. It just sounds like the tip responds better to mods.

Marc

Old 01-31-2004, 05:14 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
The only modded tip I am aware of is Sharkster. Iam sure he has more than an upsolute chip job now. I think its a friggin monster now. I know of no disasters with his tip.
But if you want purely a 1/4 miler there are much better less expensive cars than 911TTs. 911s are primarily designed for twistys with good acceleration for the straights. Iam no expert on drag racing but Ive heard of Buick Grand Nationals turning 9s times costing over 100Gs less than TTs.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
6 speed

Old 01-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Easy - drive both. I was considering either when I went to drive them, and when I did, the decision was remarkably clear...

Old 01-31-2004, 06:14 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
6 speed all the way...

Old 01-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
MANUAL

Old 01-31-2004, 08:25 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by All Boost
I wanted the tip because I think it will be far superior as far as drag and street racing are concerned. The thought of brake boosting that badboy off the line with AWD sounds sick! Then you don't have to worry about missing gears, hitting the rev limiter, burning the clutch up, etc. I saw one guy on this forum ("Sharkster") was running 11.6s @ 124mph with a tiptronic and just a $500 Upsolute chip! I think that's faster than any sticks have gone with just a chip, no?

But the flip side is I've read of a few people's horror stories on this forum with the tip grenading 2, 3, and even 4 times, having to be replaced under warranty. The manual transmission definitely seems to be able to take far more abuse. It just sounds like the tip responds better to mods.

Marc
The fun is in the shifting.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:19 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
BTW, if you are planning on doing a lot of drag racing, you are better off with the Z06. The car can be modified heavily and cheaper then a 996tt and deliver better results from what I have seen. The 996tt is more of an everyday sports/super car. Either way, get the 6 speed.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Come on. 6 speed no question. The tip you are referring to is Sharksters. Correct me if I am wrong, but, teh car has zero clearance turbos, fabspeed exhaust, stage 4gt, among other mods. I believe he had the only tip in the shootout. Obviously fantastic car, but, I would rather have a 6 speed any day and I drive in heavy traffic daily.

Lou

Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by LSM
Come on. 6 speed no question. The tip you are referring to is Sharksters. Correct me if I am wrong, but, teh car has zero clearance turbos, fabspeed exhaust, stage 4gt, among other mods. I believe he had the only tip in the shootout. Obviously fantastic car, but, I would rather have a 6 speed any day and I drive in heavy traffic daily.

Lou
EDIT-- Forgot to add that little thing about Sharkster's car having 640HP!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting a 996TT: Tiptronic or Manual?