997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just beat a 997tt on the autobahn during 190mph duel.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:36 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Just beat a 997tt on the autobahn during 190mph duel.

Oh yes, this was very very interesting.

Last night Lisa and I were coming back from a weekend at the Nurburgring with RMA. She was in the R turbo, and i was following in the CTR. Late last night, about 11:30pm. Just after stuttgart the autobahn becomes very wide and very fast. Completely derestricted. So we are doing around 160kmh due to traffic in the fast lane. when i look in my rear view mirror and see Xenons about 500m away, closing in on the little yellowbird very very quickly. Hmmm so as it approaches i pull in, and it blasts past. And i see that it is indeed a 997tt.

Initial impressions: it sits on the road very well. Looks good, however it wasnt quite an event. Hard to describe, i didnt like where the exhausts sat in the middle of the bumper either. But overall impressed.

So back to the story: I pull back out and follow him, he has now braked really really late and is about 2 foot from the pert red rump of the r turbo. Traffic infront of the r turbo clears and lisa gently accelerates away, the 997tt stays there and flashes her to move over. She does, he just absolutely blasts off, but i was ready.

I had turned boost up to full, (i had been driving home on low boost) so full 1.2bar, and i had shifted down to fifth. When he went he was approx. 8 car lengths ahead of me, and he had a slight advantage as he was nailed quite a bit before me. So we both go, and jeez it is taking me longer than i expected to catch him. Its so hard to describe exact comparisons because there are so many variables but i remember redlining 5th and shifting as quick as possible into 6th and then drawing alongside at approx 175mph. The best way to describe any accelerative comparison is that the CTR was catching it at a very quick walk. But boy did i have to push. And this guy was some kind of factory test driver methinks. Anywho he pulls in at 190mph and im alongside, then we slow for approaching traffic. I can see him looking over (no doubt thinking WTF?!) Sadly he had to pull in and take the next exit but he put his emergency lights on and i flashed him.

I called lisa, who later told me that she did nail the r turbo, but it wouldnt boost, it only went to 0,4 bar, so she was absolutely livid And this has been an intermittent problem for a few months now, have to get it checked, to think that it did it then, with a brand new 997tt is just about the definition of sods law i can think of...

Oh when we slowed, the 997tt had glowing exhausts! Very nice.

Great fun. Very fast.

all the best
adam

Old 05-09-2006, 05:39 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Good job, Nice to hear your car catching up!

Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Nice story!! Really cool to hear that the Yellowbird is holding up even against the mighty 997TT!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned
Chaapa'ai is infamous around these parts
Nice race. We passed Nurburgring this previous Sunday (March 7th) while coming back from Holland for the weekend. Notice quite a lot of cars parked, helicopters, etc parked in the fields so I assuming their was a large event. Anyways... what autobahn did this race occur and where abouts are you located? Cheers!

Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 AM
topspn is infamous around these parts
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Regards

Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Kevin034 is infamous around these parts
997TT is still superior to any 996 (factory or aftermarket) ever made.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chaapa'ai
Nice race. We passed Nurburgring this previous Sunday (March 7th) while coming back from Holland for the weekend. Notice quite a lot of cars parked, helicopters, etc parked in the fields so I assuming their was a large event.
That should have been formula 1, if I remember correctly.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
MCJ
MCJ is infamous around these partsMCJ is infamous around these parts
i didnt like where the exhausts sat in the middle of the bumper either
Must have been the new GT3 and not the new turbo.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned
Chaapa'ai is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MCJ
Must have been the new GT3 and not the new turbo.
uhhhhhh heheheheh beavis?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
MCJ
Am I missing something here? Turbo's exhaust outlets are certainly not in the middle.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I think he meant middle of the bumper height wise. Don't think Adam would mix up a GT3 for a Turbo. But I have read somewhere about a mix up between a transmission and an engine but that was something else, or what was that all about Adam??

Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
MCJ
Ah, gotcha.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:40 PM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
I think he meant middle of the bumper height wise. Don't think Adam would mix up a GT3 for a Turbo. But I have read somewhere about a mix up between a transmission and an engine but that was something else, or what was that all about Adam??
Hahahaha yeah that was a "little" mistake

No it was definetly a turbo, i described the exhausts poorly, i did mean middle of the bumper in terms of instead of at the bottom like in the 996tt.

all the best
adam

Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kevin034
The CTR is not a 996........unless I'm out to lunch.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Sheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevin034
uh...what...I think that there are a few members on this board who will contest that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just beat a 997tt on the autobahn during 190mph duel.