6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

RMS Oil leak after winter storage start-up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:34 AM
ImTonyD is on a distinguished road
RMS Oil leak after winter storage start-up

I live in Canada and store my 07 Boxster with 78,000 km during the winter months. I change the oil with 5w40 synthetic, fill the gas tank adding stabilizer take it for a final drive, remove the battery and store it in a garage from December to April. For the past 3 years, when I start the car in the spring there is a small puddle of oil directly below the area where the engine bolts to the transmission. I drive it for a few weeks but the leak does not improve to the point that there is always a couple of drops of engine oil whenever the vehicle is driven then parked. I have the Rear Main Seal replaced by a shop specializing in Porsche Maintenance and repair. The car is driven all summer with no oil leaks until I store it again for the winter. After start up the oil leaks again exactly as above. This is an expensive repair that I do not wish to have done every year.

I believe that because the engine is not being run for an extended period the RMS is dry and without lubrication. Thus at startup the torque from the crankshaft damages the seal.

My service shop has suggested starting the engine regularly while it is storage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank You

Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 AM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Surprised no one responded. From what I understand you pretty much summed it up. Seals don't like to sit. The problem with just starting it up until it's warm is that you don't get the same overall engine functioning that occurs when you drive it. I presume that you don't want to drive on salted roads [I've been in temperate climates that I'm not even sure that they still use salt on the roads! Lucky me.] From my long ago winter driving experience there were usually periods where the streets remained clear and fairly dry for a bit. If this is still true I would suggest driving it, if possible, at least once a month until it's completely warmed up- not just a mile or so. Frustrating, I know.

If you discover anything that resolves this, please let us know. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.