6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Rear "Spoiler Control Failure" message - HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:51 PM
mk19 is on a distinguished road
Rear "Spoiler Control Failure" message - HELP

The wing will go up but not down automatically (periodically). Sometimes the manual switch works, other times no.

It looked like it was the upper limit switch that wasn't registering. I broke the switch getting it out and so couldn't confirm this guess. I replaced the switch ($45+) and confirmed both switches operational. No effect on the fault.Is there a way to trouble shoot the control module?I have both PIWIS and Durametric.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
MK19

Old 10-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mk19
The wing will go up but not down automatically (periodically). Sometimes the manual switch works, other times no.

It looked like it was the upper limit switch that wasn't registering. I broke the switch getting it out and so couldn't confirm this guess. I replaced the switch ($45+) and confirmed both switches operational. No effect on the fault.Is there a way to trouble shoot the control module?I have both PIWIS and Durametric.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
MK19
If the wing goes up automatically but fails to come back down automatically there should be -- at least this was the case with my Boxster -- a warning light on the dash. In this case I would think there would be an error that one could obtain via if not Durametric by PIWIS. 'course, having the error code is only half the job. Knowing what it means is the other half. The addressing the problem the error code points to is yet another half of the job. But an error code is a start.

In the meantime the behavior sort of reads like the problem is with the spoiler drive motor. With my Boxster the drive motor was protected against the elements. The only misbehavior appeared a few days after I washed the engine. The behavior appeared then went away to never return again.

The 911 spoiler drive motor might be more exposed. Thus it might be worth the effort to find the wiring connection to the drive motor and very carefully disconnect this -- carefully because the wiring harness and wiring and insulation and connectors are only getting more fragile as time passes -- then reconnect. My thinking is over time some relatively minor surface corrosion has developed and this is affecting the signals to/from the drive motor. The connector disconnect and reconnect has the electrical pin and sockets wiping this surface corrosion away and reestablishes a good electrical connection.

While you are there, at least in that vicinity, double check all spoiler switch connectors are secure. I'm thinking "last thing touched...".