6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

My seatback won't release!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:07 AM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy My seatback won't release!

I haven't posted in a very long time, but I've got a problem I'd like some help with. I have a 996 Turbo with a lot of upgrades, including GT3 seats. I stored the original seats with the drivers seat on the floor and the passenger seat upside down on top, with both of the seatbacks leaning forward. (The passenger seat sitting upside down with the top near the back of the bottom of the drivers seat, and vice versa.) They've been that way for 5 or 6 years. I'm now putting the original passenger seat back in the car but for some reason, the seatback won't release and lean back to its' normal position. The release lever works, and I can hear something metallic clicking at the base of the seat, but it won't lean back. I searched the forum and can't find anything like this problem with any of the search words I used. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:28 AM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
OK - Call me an idiot. There was another piece to this story I didn't mention. My battery had died and I put a charger on it after I gave up on the seat yesterday. After I posted my question, I went out and decided to try to push the seat forward while I lifted the release - still nothing. But now that the battery was powered, I could move the seat forward to install the two rear seat bolts. I then decided to try the powered seatback adjuster and it worked! Now that the seatback is in the normal position, the release works, allowing it to lean forward. Well, maybe this will help someone else in the future.