6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Takata airbag/inflators PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:22 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Takata airbag/inflators PORSCHE

This forum has lots of smart folks and I am not one of them so need to ask...I read that Porsche used Takata airbags/inflators in its cars and still may (only dessicated versions of the inflators are allowed through 2019), but that Takata has yet to release any prior/present Porsche models that might be involved in the recall (Audi has several listed as does VW) and Porsche is being coy to the media about whether Takata dessicated inflators are still being put in their cars by saying only that none of the Takata products they use have been shown to be defective (my interpretation of this is that they apparently still use the dessicated versions of the Takata inflators...i.e., the ones that are used to "fix" the early Alpha non-dessicated versions but that the "fixed" versions still may be subject to future recall as the gov't contends that the desiccant is not permanent or fool proof). Takata testing results on that are due by year end 2018. I cannot find any information in the consent decree to the extent that they have listed any Porsche models where dessicated/non-dessicated inflators were used. I only got on to this originally because my youngest was in a 2007 Lexus that was recalled (driver/passenger bags). It seemed like a lot of hysteria at first but they continue to this day to add more and more cars to the recall, including the 2016 Acura RDX (passenger side only) we bought him to replace the Lexus! And now we just got rid of that. There have been 22 deaths i believe so that is a small percentage overall but the deaths and injuries are particularly heinous due to the projectile release. Anyway, thanks for any insight you smart people can provide.