911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

price feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:10 PM
rockpicker is on a distinguished road
price feedback

Looking at an 87 black/black coupe. Two owner, just under 100k, paint starting to craze, original clutch. New tires, regular oil changes, maint. history. Asking $19,000.

What are the significant areas that must be performed (unique to these cars) during the PPI? Unless this price seems way out of line, which I don't think it is, I am prepared to make an offer.

Please let me know if I'm off the mark.

Thanks again
Matt

Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 AM
jstgermaine is on a distinguished road
Depending on your location, I personally think that the price is a bit high. Around 17K would be my target for a good condition driver.

As far as a PPI, make sure it includes BOTH a compression check and a leakdown check. The 3.2L common engine issue is weak exhaust valve guides. If they are needed, you will need to budget somewhere in the realm of 5-7K for a reputable top end rebuild.

Personally, at 100k on the odometer, I would be budgeting/negotiating the need for a top end (at minimum) in the future.

Further, I would make sure the PPI and/or maint history includes suspension items, moreso shocks. If they haven't been done, they are going to need them. Also make sure they check the transmission mounts, they are a non-servicable part and if worn out, you'll need to have that cost factored into the negotiation as well.

Good luck, the impact bumper cars are indeed awesome!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
With a full set of records and a good PPI, this could be a fair deal. Late 80's 911 prices are rising quickly. The clutch would probably be the 1st issue to address if the leak down has good results. Jim Pasha, noted Porsche expert and contributor to Excellence and PML, recommends setting aside 4k to address any issues when buying a 911 like the one you are looking to buy. They are great, fun cars!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Pipes will become famous soon enough
I bought my 87' 911 new and at 100K miles had to put a lot of money into it to make it better than new again. I sorely needed engine work (valve seals and rings were worn), shocks, clutch, pressure plate, brakes, etc...and decided to rebuild instead of buying new again. I now have another 110K on that rebuild made in 95 and it's still better than new. I've found that regular maintenance is the secret to longevity. Good luck on your quest.