930 car with blown engine -- need help with "value"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Abuong01 is on a distinguished road
930 car with blown engine -- need help with "value"

A local mechanic who services two of my 911's has a 86 930 with 87k miles for sale as is....engine blown but with the vehicle, has suspensions, tranny and all parts. Interior is rough...needs lots of interior work, perhaps all new interior other than dash. Paint is faded with clear coming off in several places and a little rust in the door jamb drivers side. Otherwise a few spots near the rear glass from dry seals.
He said "make an offer" which leaves me guessing the value and he wont let on what he paid for it.
He will rebuild the engine which leaves him making good money as well.

Is this a $15k or $45k car as-is. Any help (understand not seeing the car makes it hard) is much appreciated.

Always wanted a 930 and this may be the best way into one that will have a strong motor when rebuilt.

Thanks all

Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM
CaptainCalf will become famous soon enough
I paid $15K for my 1987 930 with a blown motor. Good luck and enjoy the project and yes these are great cars and money pits:-)

Old 09-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf
I paid $15K for my 1987 930 with a blown motor. Good luck and enjoy the project and yes these are great cars and money pits:-)
Thanks for the note. This one has been converted to five speed, has special order paint and interior and factory RUF wheels. Trying to work it out for an all-in price including new paint. Basically making the car "new" again from top to bottom.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:37 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Abuong01
Thanks for the note. This one has been converted to five speed, has special order paint and interior and factory RUF wheels. Trying to work it out for an all-in price including new paint. Basically making the car "new" again from top to bottom.
I thought you said it needed all new interior parts?
A proper paint job alone is $10K+++.
Engine rebuild has got to be in that range also.
Plus, you probably want to rebuild the trans, while its out of the car.
Unless you are a shop owner, who can do restore work yourself, its always cheaper to buy a clean car than a project car.
What are clean 930 going for?

A clean car with just a blown engine makes sense, but this car has nothing going for it, as it needs everything and will be in shops for months, if not years.

Last edited by lunarx; 09-07-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by lunarx
I thought you said it needed all new interior parts?
A proper paint job alone is $10K+++.
Engine rebuild has got to be in that range also.
Plus, you probably want to rebuild the trans, while its out of the car.
Unless you are a shop owner, who can do restore work yourself, its always cheaper to buy a clean car than a project car.
What are clean 930 going for?

A clean car with just a blown engine makes sense, but this car has nothing going for it, as it needs everything and will be in shops for months, if not years.
All good points. There really are no clean 930 with good history for less than 100k these days, I'm hoping to work out an "all-in" price of 65k.