Need some advice about 996TT vs. 964 3.3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Plexiform will become famous soon enough
Need some advice about 996TT vs. 964 3.3 Turbo

I am about to trade in my 2001 C4 and am either going to get the 1991 964 3.3 Turbo which I have loved since I was a kid, or a 2003 996 TT. Both have around 45k miles and both going to cost around the same. Any thoughts on what would be a better car to go with? I like them both a lot and cannot make up my mind. Any thoughts regarding pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM
pnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the roughpnoob2 is a jewel in the rough
I had a 2003 996 turbo (gt700 with gt2 bodystyling on it). LOVED it...fastest thing on 4 wheels I ever drove.. sold it about 2 years ago to a board member and occasionally do miss it. When I decided to come back to Porsche I went the route of a 91 964 turbo black on black. No where as fast....not easily modified either.....yet I am sooo much more attached to it. The 965 is probably one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen and wanted it since I was a kid too. If I had to choose between these two cars no question I would buy the 964 turbo in a heart beat.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Do you want a collector car or a stupid fast dailer driver ?
The 996 will obviously be the BETTER of the 2 cars, it's got so much more technology behind it.

I'm also looking for a 964T but obviously that will be a weekend car, while my 996 is my daily driver.

By the way - the 996 is easy and cheap to modify. The engine can take up to 700HP without any internal modifications. Bullet proof...

Old 05-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I've heard my local used porsche dealer say that the 996TT is beasically a watercooled 964T engine. I imagine that is inaccurate since there seem to be so many other technological changes between the 2 models. I am going to using this car as a fun car. I will already have a daily driver so that is not a problem. I just want to make sure it is powerful enough. I have not driven this 964T yet because it is located a few hours away from me and I plan on getting everything in order before going up there to try it out. For those of you who have driven a 996 C4 and a 964T, is there a noticable difference in power?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Gsxryder415 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yves
Do you want a collector car or a stupid fast dailer driver ?
The 996 will obviously be the BETTER of the 2 cars, it's got so much more technology behind it.

I'm also looking for a 964T but obviously that will be a weekend car, while my 996 is my daily driver.

By the way - the 996 is easy and cheap to modify. The engine can take up to 700HP without any internal modifications. Bullet proof...
I am gonna completely agree with what he said

Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 PM
well, its been months since i first started this thread but i have yet to get my turbo.. I still look all the time but have not found a good deal on one yet. I have my eye on a 964 Turbo 1991 now and will be going to see it in january. If it works out I might have one by spring. Anyway ....the search continues.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Itzjstacar is on a distinguished road
965 vs 996TT

I have driven both and loved them both. I think the fellas on this post show the general feeling of these supercars. My 2 cents: For instant gratification either will do. I do see the 965 in it's exclusivity having longer legs market wise. It is more visceral and stock vs stock cars it feels like it pulls harder (you know head into headrest feeling). The 996TT is very subtle feeling and you are at speed sooner and don't even realize it. Every on ramp is at least 85mph too fast.
The 996TT is based on the 965 motor, and it is a good one. It is basicly the same longblock with a better oil pump and oiling system, four valves per cyl instead of 2. It has two small turbo's instead of one bigger one. It could do w/out the 4wd for track use, but it's as good as it's friend GT2 on the street, for less. Weissach Autohouse has one of each in stock ready to drive, if your into it.
Either is a great purchase and always buy the best condition, lowest mileage example for a comprable price to stay ahead of the hard hit resale.
Have a blast.
I.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
dmundy has a spectacular aura aboutdmundy has a spectacular aura aboutdmundy has a spectacular aura about
Personally I am just not a 996 guy. I have driven several, and owned a well modded turbo for a while. There is just nothing special about a 996 for me. If you need it to get you to work it's a fine appliance. The earlier turbo's just feel special.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor
PowertechSelect is on a distinguished road
I would say go with the 964 Turbo all the way.

I had one for about 4 years (sold it earlier this year to buy a 993 TT) and for a short time, had my current 99 996 coupe with at the same time. My 964 T had a couple of minor mods (1 bar spring, along with headers/muffler) and it is noticeably faster than the 996, and with a totally different feel with having the big boost rush.

Also as others have said you don't see many 964 Turbos around, as I've only seen one or two since I sold mine 7 months ago... 996 Turbos are practically a dime a dozen.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Devin1205 is on a distinguished road
They are both great just wait for a deal you can't pass up. I like the 964 looks better though.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Gwells911 is on a distinguished road
996 TT for its ease of performance mods

Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
I have and do own them both. Both are modified and both are stupid fast.

The 3.6T 965 that own is by far and away a more exciting car to drive.The main difference beside the visceral feel, is that you are connected to it which feels like it is an extension of your hands and feet. Then there is that unmistakeable air cooled sound and waste gate roar........Music.

Don't get me wrong I like my 03 996TT and intend to keep it a long time, but the 965 is special.

Elliot

Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Tough choice. Either way, pull the trigger and get behind the wheel, time is awasting!!

Both are great cars, as mentioned above. I had both for the last couple of years and sold my 964 cab because after getting the Z8 it just did not get used much. It was very raw, noisy and with a heavily built 3.8 motor, was scary fast. Not sure the 996 is much slower but it sure feels and sounds it!

Talk about an *** end.....

Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
post picture of the inside of both cars and i'll tell you which one to get.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
7seven is infamous around these parts7seven is infamous around these parts7seven is infamous around these parts7seven is infamous around these parts7seven is infamous around these parts7seven is infamous around these parts
I've driven both and was surprised that my friends 996 turbo felt heavy , too quiet, and lazy compared to my 91 965. I will say that sometimes my 965 feels old fashioned the way the front end wanders and is less settled than a modern car. And its tricky to drive at the limit. If you want to be fast at track days and comfortable everyday get the 996, but if you want a car you keep staring back at and feeling a warm glow of satisfaction go through your body get the 965. You won't win a track day but you will have more fun and feel like you've mastered something that not everyone can handle. And i just love the way it looks on me when people give me the thumbs up when i get in it. but it is for sale!! $42,000

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some advice about 996TT vs. 964 3.3 Turbo