92 Turbo

Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 PM
falter is on a distinguished road
92 Turbo

Hi guys,

My dad is a longtime Porsche owner, having briefly owned a 91 Carerra 2 and then for the last 20-odd years a 92 964 Turbo. Anyway, as a surprise 40th birthday present and due to his age and increasing difficulty getting into and out of it, he has decided to turn it over to me on the proviso it never leaves the family. Being that I was never even allowed to drive the car until my 30s, I'm obviously pretty stoked. I am a bit intimidated by it.. in my limited experience with it I found the clutch and gearing very different than my other turbo (a 1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe). On that car, you have to give it lots of gas as you go into first gear, or it stalls. The 911 however feels like you could almost just drop the clutch and away it'd go. Also find the clutch doesn't 'follow' my foot the way the Thunderbird's does. When I let go it seems to lag behind my foot. Don't know if that's the clutch or my lousy technique. Obviously going from pedals mounted underdash vs. floor is a bit different.

Anyway, comments on that welcome, but the real reason for my post is for my own curiosity, I'm trying to understand current values. It seems like last year I could have gotten a 964 turbo in decent shape for $50k or so. Now asking prices seem to be into 6 figures. I still see the odd 964 come up on ebay well below that.. but I guess my question is, where are values generally today? My dad's is in good shape and has been very well taken care of, but he loved to drive it and it has well over 270,000km on it. I'm also curious what the actual production numbers were. There seems to be different qualifications on those (North American vs. Global). Having a hard time googling out the answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!