Optima Battery Question | Mounting Kit - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Optima Battery Question | Mounting Kit

Old 01-06-2007, 09:32 AM

andrewdoak is on a distinguished road
Optima Battery Question | Mounting Kit

I've been toying around with the idea of installing an Optima battery in my 89 C4. I put one in my 912 and noticed immediate results (especially in the cold). I've found multiple Mounting Kits, but this statement causes me to pause:
"Note Cutting And/Or Drilling May Be Required To Fit A Non-Factory Battery In Your Porsche..."
I have no problem cutting into my Porsche for the better good, but I'd like to see an example first. My question to you guys is: anyone installed an Optima into thier 964 (or other non-Porsche battery)? If so, did you use a mounting kit? If so, did you need to drill? if so, got any pictures documenting where, best place, least obtrusive, etc.?

Thanks.

ad
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 PM

mbrouder will become famous soon enough
I bought an Optima a few months back. The problem is finding a D35 size Optima. A D35 will mount in the original stock position. These guys carry them. Their service was unreal. The battery was on my door step the day after I ordered it. I went with the yellow top. My car tends to drain batteries.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com//
Old 02-03-2007, 01:51 AM

parsecnc4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoak
I've been toying around with the idea of installing an Optima battery in my 89 C4. I put one in my 912 and noticed immediate results (especially in the cold). I've found multiple Mounting Kits, but this statement causes me to pause:
"Note Cutting And/Or Drilling May Be Required To Fit A Non-Factory Battery In Your Porsche..."

I have no problem cutting into my Porsche for the better good, but I'd like to see an example first. My question to you guys is: anyone installed an Optima into thier 964 (or other non-Porsche battery)? If so, did you use a mounting kit? If so, did you need to drill? if so, got any pictures documenting where, best place, least obtrusive, etc.?

Thanks.

ad
If you live near a Costco, they have an Optima red top which is a simple drop-in and fits perfectly at ~$140. I use it on one of my 964 and no mounting kit is needed.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 AM

andrewdoak is on a distinguished road
Awesome, thanks for the info.