Best Tire Pressure Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:42 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
Best Tire Pressure Settings

I thought this thread would be a great way to try and continue to bring this forum back to a place of great helpful information regardless of tunes/tuners/etc. What tire pressures are you running on,OEM tires, that you have found to be the best to deal with traction on launch control? I know we have numerous members from all different tune levels but thought this information can be really beneficial to all. Hopefully all the experimentation by members at tracks can help all turbo owners get the best out of their cars. If anyone thinks any other relevant information will be beneficial to this issue please chime in, just trying to keep it positive and helpful for all! Thanks everybody! Rich

Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Good question. Really the best thing to do is test for your setup and the conditions you are presented.

The general rule is that too much power and the stock tires will get blown off during launch control. Stock or tune only is generally ok for the stock tires but beyond that you are going to need something better for launching otherwise your 0-whatever times will be slower.

If you are only stock/tuned, the thing to consider is that the stock PZeros don't necessarily launch better at lower tire pressures. Maybe at a prepped drag strip, but not on the street. I've played a little bit and lowering the pressure didn't help. Didn't really hurt either.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Hi Rich,
You do have to play with the tires a little bit and find what works best on your setup, for the type of racing you are doing. Here is my opinion from my personal experience on the 991/997.2 and other platforms while drag racing.

Here is some random info that may be helpful:
Drag racing/launch control
On the PDK cars, depending on the tire I like to start at 32 psi rear, 40 front.
Do a "burn out" with TC off before you do your actual launch. This will get some heat in the tires. I don't use actual launch control for this. I just put the car in sport chrono with my right foot on the brake, then slide it over and mash the gas. The car will spin a little depending on what power you make. Some people use LC for this but I never had to.

*Note* Pirellis generally don't like low pressure because of stiff sidewalls. More specifically the R compound Pirellis but I found it on the OEM 991 ones as well. Be careful not to lower the pressure too much or you will feel like you are on an ice rink. Michelin, toyos, nittos respond better with lower pressures

For your power level, best to keep front tires at regular pressure, or even a little higher, so it helps with trap speeds. I only lower the front pressure if I can't hook up.

60-130 or roll racing
Unless you have big power and spin while rolling over 40 mph, better to inflate the tires towards the max safe pressure for less rolling resistance. Will help cut some time off 60-130 and give you higher trap in a roll race.

Weather plays a part in all of this as well. In colder tarmac, what may work 99% of the time will need some fine tuning. Inversely, hot tarmac won't need as much pressure taken out to hook up.
One last thing, my best launches are always when the tires really have heat in them (like right after driving to a track or event and before the car sits and cools down)

Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Karl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud of
Depends on the what your doing. And what tires MSC2 or Pzeros
track day?
drag strip?
daily driver?