Is Dealer Required to Run Credit Report When Paying Cash/Certified Funds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM
trader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud of
Is Dealer Required to Run Credit Report When Paying Cash/Certified Funds?

Silly question, or not. I almost always buy my cars from private parties as private party purchases in my state pay no sales tax. However, I have been looking and looking for a Turbo S at a fair price and there is on at a Porsche dealership out of state in California, I am in Nevada. Well, said dealer is wanting drivers license, insurance and what they call a 5 line on the credit report which requests my social security number. Last time I paid for a car with a check at a dealer, they pulled this stuff and next thing I know, my near perfect credit has an inquiry on it. I don't need/want credit, I am just stroking a check, sending bank wire, etc.

And to add insult to injury, in California they collect California sales tax on out of state sales even though I am in Nevada and paying sales tax here. if not, now I have to bother with having said car shipped and worse, waiting.

Opinions please, what is the dealer required to do, if I want my credit to not be run do I have to buy from a private party and keep searching for a car.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I just bought my 2015 RR on October 31 at a dealer for cash and they didn't run my credit, just called the bank to verify the check, course they took my 2012 RR in trade but I still wrote a $67k check. I live in Austin and this was San Antonio.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:23 PM
trader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud oftrader247 has much to be proud of
That's what I recall too. If paying personal check, or bank wire, no reporting required. If paying green back, money order, etc, then yes they are required to report that. Here I am doing bank wire or personal check, they would need a personal check to clear, though that hasn't ever been an issue for me in the past.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trader247
Silly question, or not. I almost always buy my cars from private parties as private party purchases in my state pay no sales tax. However, I have been looking and looking for a Turbo S at a fair price and there is on at a Porsche dealership out of state in California, I am in Nevada. Well, said dealer is wanting drivers license, insurance and what they call a 5 line on the credit report which requests my social security number. Last time I paid for a car with a check at a dealer, they pulled this stuff and next thing I know, my near perfect credit has an inquiry on it. I don't need/want credit, I am just stroking a check, sending bank wire, etc.

And to add insult to injury, in California they collect California sales tax on out of state sales even though I am in Nevada and paying sales tax here. if not, now I have to bother with having said car shipped and worse, waiting.

Opinions please, what is the dealer required to do, if I want my credit to not be run do I have to buy from a private party and keep searching for a car.

Thanks
I've never had a dealer run my credit when paying cash nor did they even bring it up.

I've never bought a car from California through a dealer however.

Doesn't make any sense to me unless there is some new homeland security/IRS nonsense...lol

Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM
I just spoke with my salesman, well when I said it was a no go for me to give my ss# as I was paying bank wire (they know where the funds come from, duh), he at first said has to have it, but then he spoke with a manager and turns out they DONT need my ss# after all. They do have to verify my identity for some type of watchlist thing, but that can be done with name, address and date of birth.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I just spoke with my salesman, well when I said it was a no go for me to give my ss# as I was paying bank wire (they know where the funds come from, duh), he at first said has to have it, but then he spoke with a manager and turns out they DONT need my ss# after all. They do have to verify my identity for some type of watchlist thing, but that can be done with name, address and date of birth.
Sounds like this deal isn't in person like mine was so maybe that makes more sense. I sat in the sales managers office and wrote the check. I don't think they looked at my DL but they might have. I had the title and it matched my checks and so on.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
That makes more sense. I did have to send a copy of my DL, etc for identity verification.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cool. I was starting to add another check on the side of crap tings in Cali!
Congrats!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am awaiting wiring details and will start a new thread once I get some pics of the new to me TTS. I've been waiting a long time for a car like this.

In the mean time, anyway to work around this thing about the dealer having to truck the car to me (California has to ship out of the state, if not they need to collect tax)? I'm less that 200 miles from dealer, it's a shame I have to wait, pay and do the logistics on the shipping.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Give me a buzz I may be able to help.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Shipping can be easy. Get a 200 mi AAA ahead of time. You just need a flat bed instead of a transport. Dealers often have their own flat bed too.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Btw, asking for Ssn makes no sense. There are tons of foreign nationals that don't have Ssn that buy new cars.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the responses. I am awaiting wiring details and will start a new thread once I get some pics of the new to me TTS. I've been waiting a long time for a car like this.

In the mean time, anyway to work around this thing about the dealer having to truck the car to me (California has to ship out of the state, if not they need to collect tax)? I'm less that 200 miles from dealer, it's a shame I have to wait, pay and do the logistics on the shipping.
I bought my car from Rusnak in California and had it shipped back to Texas. I was also surprised by the additional paperwork that had to do with export controls. As for the taxes you are getting hosed. I could have taken the car on the spot and not paid a dollar of taxes and paid the taxes on my own when I hit Dallas. I did end up using their service to collect/pay taxes and get my plates. I would check into this further.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:06 AM
KAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond reputeKAWilson has a reputation beyond repute
I was also surprised and annoyed when I was "required" to complete a credit/loan application for the Porsche dealer "to verify my identify and protect against fraud" even though I already had financing through my credit union.

I asked my friend who is a used sales manager at Enterprise if this is standard practice and he said yes. He said after they see my credit score they might also try to offer me financing even though they knew I already had it. (They did try to offer me a Porsche credit card when they were reviewing additional options such as wheel and tire insurance, theft monitoring/tracking, etc.)

I did not have to do this when I bought my R8 from a Mercedes dealership. So I don't know if it is a relatively new practice, or just an annoying one that not all dealerships put you through. I don't see any good in passing around my SSN like it is candy, esp when the reasoning behind it seems like pure BS. Glad you figured out a way around it OP.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:57 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
the last 3 cars i purchased new i also had to provided my SSN even though i did not finance anything. they had me fill out the finance form as if i was for some reason but on the credit app they put do not run credit/cash buyer.

i also have purchased cars from CA and registered them in different states and CA dealers will have to collect sales tax but you won't have to pay anything at your DMV as long as they collected enough. if they collect more than what your tax rate is you dont get a refund on the difference though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Dealer Required to Run Credit Report When Paying Cash/Certified Funds?