HELP with Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map. My car is a bucking bronco...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 AM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of

Need some guidance from folks who successfully run the Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map.

My car takes the sequential map no problem. Drives great immediately. Do a few 1st thru 7th pulls to calibrate the transmission and she's purring. Transmission re-learn also goes very smoothly.

***BUT***

When i put her on the High Torque Aggressive map, she's bucking like a pissed off bronco. I did about 25+ 1st thru 7th pulls, nothing helps. I try the re-learn feature on the AP, but in about 2 minutes the programmer says "cannot communicate with vehicle" and the gauge cluster says "trans failure". It goes away once i restart. When i accelerate from a stop in auto mode, while in first gear at around 2500RPM, i hear a clunk and get a hesitation. I don't notice that in manual mode. And it goes away on the sequential map. Does my car just hate the high torque aggressive map? Or does it take months to fully calibrate? I'm lost here...

Old 04-05-2019, 12:28 PM
arkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster

Need some guidance from folks who successfully run the Cobb AP High Torque Aggressive PDK map.

My car takes the sequential map no problem. Drives great immediately. Do a few 1st thru 7th pulls to calibrate the transmission and she's purring. Transmission re-learn also goes very smoothly.

***BUT***

When i put her on the High Torque Aggressive map, she's bucking like a pissed off bronco. I did about 25+ 1st thru 7th pulls, nothing helps. I try the re-learn feature on the AP, but in about 2 minutes the programmer says "cannot communicate with vehicle" and the gauge cluster says "trans failure". It goes away once i restart. When i accelerate from a stop in auto mode, while in first gear at around 2500RPM, i hear a clunk and get a hesitation. I don't notice that in manual mode. And it goes away on the sequential map. Does my car just hate the high torque aggressive map? Or does it take months to fully calibrate? I'm lost here...
I got the cobb pdk software as soon as it came out, always ran the aggressive map, tried the high torque map followed by relearn , would do the same exact thing, 2 minutes in and fail. Tried it many different ways , made sure trans temp was above and beyond the threshold nothing. Reached out to cobb support, didnt really get anything of substance. In fact up until the recent updates to the PDK software my car would never do a re-learn via the cobb, always had to do PWIS.

As far as the high torque aggressive map, same thing my car hated it, wouldn't shift 2nd a lot, would launch worse, etc. So I always kept mine on the regular aggressive map, a friend just took his car to the track, same thing high torque map and it wouldn't launch as well, seemed to shift weird, switched to the regular aggressive map, did relearn, car became faster and more consistent. Why I dont know, but from my own personal experience I have yet to see the high torque aggressive map aid in performance.

Afaik the high torque aggressive map increases line pressure and clamping force which makes sense in theory but my experience leads me to believe that I dont think the transmission likes it at least mine didnt.

The clunk and the weird driving is from the failed relearn, I would either revert to the other map where the cobb completes the re-learn or have the dealer do it with the PWIS tool, I would not drive it hard otherwise as the transmission is definitely unhappy.

Last edited by arkadyzv; 04-05-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Hey Arkady. Thanks for your personal experience. Exactly what i was looking for. Seems to be a problem with the High Torque Aggressive map and not the transmission or any mechanical problems. I'm switching back to Sequential or trying Aggressive. BTW i still didn't install the window trim piece i bought from you... LOL!

Old 04-05-2019, 03:17 PM
arkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond reputearkadyzv has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Hey Arkady. Thanks for your personal experience. Exactly what i was looking for. Seems to be a problem with the High Torque Aggressive map and not the transmission or any mechanical problems. I'm switching back to Sequential or trying Aggressive. BTW i still didn't install the window trim piece i bought from you... LOL!
Lol, you're missing out on the wind buffering. Yeah its definitely the failed relearn, I think its because it stops in the process of adjusting the clutches and since it didn't finish you hear the clunk.Thought mine was broken to the first time around lol. My car made very similar power to yours, so I think the aggressive map is the ticket, would always perform the way it should. Depending on abuse in the future if it begins to feel sloppy especially in auto mode then you know you need to do a relearn but thats just the name of the dual clutch game.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Harry,

The re-learn is a must, sadly the trans temp needs to be a certain temperature...I was able to do the re-learn after my 8th try, running High Torque Aggressive.

Regards,

Manuel