Yahoo! tests the new 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mseligson
This sound symposer is just fake *****. Why bother? I find it lame on Mustangs and lesser cars that pipe in sound. To do it on a sports car icon is a pity.

it`s not fake (like in all-electric cars for example).
amplifying and composing an engine note has been part of the development of sportscars for decades. it´s just that the computer handles the point and the amount of the noise coming into the cabin now.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
too 911

We may feel differently upon seeing and experience the new pcar, but I'm slightly apprehensive with the latest reviews : 'too big, too wide, too . . .'

C&D has published a evolution chart :

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...-legend-grows/

I see the weight reduction and engine refinements (fuel, HC's) as benefits but I'm not getting larger as I've past 50 and therefore see the Panamera details as a demerit. The 'too noisy' is also. My wife already tells me she can hear me coming home 1/2 a mile away.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
We may feel differently upon seeing and experience the new pcar, but I'm slightly apprehensive with the latest reviews : 'too big, too wide, too . . .'

C&D has published a evolution chart :

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...-legend-grows/

I see the weight reduction and engine refinements (fuel, HC's) as benefits but I'm not getting larger as I've past 50 and therefore see the Panamera details as a demerit. The 'too noisy' is also. My wife already tells me she can hear me coming home 1/2 a mile away.

The ascending center console is derived from the Carrera GT and not the Panamera, every Porschephile knows this, except for C&D?!
I guess it will soon be a feature of the whole model range, incl. the next Boxster and Cayman.
One main reason why the 991, esp. the wheelbase, grew is that they needed to do this in order to fit the upcoming hybrid drivetrain.
So, typical C&D nonsense to call it "Carrer-amera." Just because it is prepared for future technologies, more quiet, more comfortable, easier to drive, more forgiving, an even more perfect evolution.
It`s a much better car, simple as that!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Take away the "new-aesthetic" switches on the console, and we wouldn't be hearing the Panny comparisons. Ok, so yeah, I see the "connection". They are the same kind of switches that are on the Panamera (Just far less of them). So, a Panamera is Porsche too... so the problem is????!!! I think it not only makes sense from a beancounter point of view in Zuffenhausen in cost savings to Porsche (unifying the switch design among their various models); but it also becomes a part of branding & brand identity.

I don't see a problem with that. Why do we have to think "Oh THESE look like a 911 switch..."? Well, isn't looking like it belongs in a Porsche more than satisfactory? Generally speaking, when somebody thinks "Porsche", the 911 comes to mind by default. That style of switch aesthetic just happened to be introduced on the Panamera. But those switches don't MAKE THE CAR a Panamera. IMO, YMMV, etc...

I do prefer the simplicity of the older consoles, or vintage "non-consoles"; but if you want that shifter placed in the optimum spot (as in the Carerra GT as they clearly have done here), they just can't suspend it in thin air. So okay, the new console makes sense; and it is a clean design. Raising that shifter up = a taller console at the front by default, so what else can they do? I suppose if they went with say, a half console and it stopped off halfway so to speak, there would be complaining about that, too. "Bulbous nub" or something of that fashion would be the complaints there from the auto rag reviewers. lololololol...

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-16-2011 at 01:32 PM.