Drove the 991... a bit disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dreamer
Correct me if im wrong, but my understanding is that the 991 is longer in wheelbase by 100mm, not in total body length. It looks longer because of the windshield base (angle) being moved forward and the car being shorter. This is how they achieved the 25mm of extra leg room in the cabin.
PS, I finally saw one in person the other day....Gorgeous!!!
It's slightly longer (an inch or two), but I agree the sound definition of the cabin is what changes the character of the car. Road noise is down and induction noise during acceleration is up. It didn't hop on take-off, it turned great and it rode in control. To me it resembles the old Tiger Woods compared to the new Tiger Woods (before his marital problem); he used to swing fast and on the boarder of out of control, now he stays in control. He was good before and better now.

ChuckJ

Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
lol, always the same old complaints when a new 911 comes out.
I don't see this as a complaint...it's an opinion and an observation.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I don't see this as a complaint...it's an opinion and an observation.
yeah but what about "...the 991 is not really a 911 anymore."

that´s not just a complaint thats rubbish, just because it is less dramatic and more livable.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
yeah but what about "...the 991 is not really a 911 anymore."

that´s not just a complaint thats rubbish, just because it is less dramatic and more livable.
The poster has an idea of what the 911 is to him (or her). Whether the 991 meets their definition is their opinion.

I haven't driven the 991 but I have no reason to think it will be less dramatic. You just may need bigger you know what's to get it to the limit.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
The poster has an idea of what the 911 is to him (or her). Whether the 991 meets their definition is their opinion.

I haven't driven the 991 but I have no reason to think it will be less dramatic. You just may need bigger you know what's to get it to the limit.
everyone is of course entitled to his own opinions, but i have heard this phrase countless times over the years, esp. when a new gen comes out.
"it´s not a 911 anymore, Porsche has lost it, Porsche has watered down the 911 etc etc."

the car has moved on, like any other car in the world. like every new generation it defies the laws of physics a little better than the previous gen. combined with new luxury gizmos this new 911 appeals to a much broader audience, which is good for Porsche and us, so they make more money and provide us with even better products in the future.
if someone wants more drama, more purism, he`ll have to wait for the GT3, period.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 AM
everyone is of course entitled to his own opinions, but i have heard this phrase countless times over the years, esp. when a new gen comes out.
"it´s not a 911 anymore, Porsche has lost it, Porsche has watered down the 911 etc etc."

the car has moved on, like any other car in the world. like every new generation it defies the laws of physics a little better than the previous gen. combined with new luxury gizmos this new 911 appeals to a much broader audience, which is good for Porsche and us, so they make more money and provide us with even better products in the future.
if someone wants more drama, more purism, he`ll have to wait for the GT3, period.

And you haven't heard that from BMW, jaguar and merc owners?

Drive a new m3 lately?

A broader audience can be thought of as a less driver enthusiast audience. Please note i said can, not should.

So maybe some of the observations made by long time owners are ok to give.

The guys all for progress have to understand that better means different things to different people.

The guys that want the past have to understand the Porsche is in the business of making money.

There are plenty of choices out there to satisfy either camp. Drive and enjoy.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Drive a new m3 lately?

A broader audience can be thought of as a less driver enthusiast audience. Please note i said can, not should.

The guys all for progress have to understand that better means different things to different people.

The guys that want the past have to understand the Porsche is in the business of making money.

i totally understand when someone likes his 993 better than a 997 or his 997 better than a 991. it´s a matter of personal prefences and what a car means to someone personally, emotionally.
but saying the new 991 is not a 911 anymore is rubbish, fact.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM
i totally understand when someone likes his 993 better than a 997 or his 997 better than a 991. it´s a matter of personal prefences and what a car means to someone personally, emotionally.
but saying the new 991 is not a 911 anymore is rubbish, fact.
I'll let you know if I think it's a fact this afternoon after a test drive.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM
I'll let you know if I think it's a fact this afternoon after a test drive.

ok, don`t forget to check if they put the engine in the wrong place.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute

Drive a new m3 lately?

As a current gen M3 owner (see sig) I spent much time in that forum as well. Let me tell you the stink that went up about the (amazing) new V8 motor. "If it's not a 6 it's not an m3."

Now that the dust settled and everyone in that forum owns an E92, it's become a fear of the return to the 6 cylinder by BMW but adding a turbo. "BMW is robbing the soul and heritage of the M3. True M3's are defined by naturally aspirated motors."

I personally like older mustangs from the 60's and wouldn't dream of a new one - but the new ones are faster, modernized, and all the same details we are spouting here about the 991, I guess.

I don't think Porsche lost it's way with the 991 over the 997 - it's just a single iteration. I can understand those who harken back to the day of the SC or similar - but not the one generation bump.

Last edited by EricP; 02-04-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
i totally understand when someone likes his 993 better than a 997 or his 997 better than a 991. it´s a matter of personal prefences and what a car means to someone personally, emotionally. But saying the new 991 is not a 911 anymore is rubbish, fact.
Best quote of this thread and I totally agree. To be a real 911 it has to be engineered by Porsche, built by Porsche, have a flat 6, have a engine in the "wrong" place, wear the crest and carry the Carrera, targa or turbo badge. I personally don't like the direction the 911 is heading but it is what the market demands. A customer in China prefers a Burmester to a high revving engine, a customer in India wants to not feel every little mottling on a tarmac that gets destroyed by the crazy monsoon season, a customer in the USA who got badly burnt with his 997.2 custom order with half the options not showing up in his car is still passionate about a 911, feels that Porsche has finally got it right with the 991 and orders one with his hard earned cash. And that's what matters ... It's not about me,

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 02-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM
ok, don`t forget to check if they put the engine in the wrong place.

jeez... i thought it was a spare engine back there...

Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by EricP
As a current gen M3 owner (see sig) I spent much time in that forum as well. Let me tell you the stink that went up about the (amazing) new V8 motor. "If it's not a 6 it's not an m3."

Now that the dust settled and everyone in that forum owns an E92, it's become a fear of the return to the 6 cylinder by BMW but adding a turbo. "BMW is robbing the soul and heritage of the M3. True M3's are defined by naturally aspirated motors."

I personally like older mustangs from the 60's and wouldn't dream of a new one - but the new ones are faster, modernized, and all the same details we are spouting here about the 991, I guess.

I don't think Porsche lost it's way with the 991 over the 997 - it's just a single iteration. I can understand those who harken back to the day of the SC or similar - but not the one generation bump.

the engine to me is not the issue in the M3...its the lack of steering feel compared to earlier models.

I'm not an expert in M3's but I have been to enough track events and spoken to many M3 owners who would agree with me.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
the engine to me is not the issue in the M3...its the lack of steering feel compared to earlier models.

I'm not an expert in M3's but I have been to enough track events and spoken to many M3 owners who would agree with me.
Didn't notice and I owned an E46 before the E92. And that's probably why I don't notice the reported 991 steering and ride issues (if there are any). Good. So I'm not in tune enough to nitpick the 991 . Ignorance is bliss.

Anxious to hear your experience today!! Get back with us. (drive a loaded car if you have a choice - don't get in a stripper with no PDCC, SC, PSE, etc..because each dealer was allocated a stripper)

BTW - My dealer told me I could take their loaded demo for 24 hours and enjoy it however I wish - unfor we got 2 feet of snow in Denver the night he said that. Now it's a race to see which will happen first - the snow will melt or my car will be delivered. I'm on vessel as of 2/1 and due in town on or around 2/26.

Last edited by EricP; 02-04-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future

I went from a 987S to an e92 m3. The power of the m3 was great, but i really missed the steering feel of the Boxster despite it being 130 bhp down on the m3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove the 991... a bit disappointed