SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Good news... Bad news

Good news is, the 991S has a hold its mpg promise. About 23 mpg on average this week with all kinds of driving conditions (from highway coasting to Sport Plus).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6889479673/
Bad news is, Sport Plus is sooo good. Well, the real bad news is that local law enforcement agencies do not share this point of view

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6889479311/
I wish I would have had the time to get the laser jammer installed this week.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
amazing pics & work, keep it up!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your car came with clear side markers?

Just ordered a pair and will be disappointed if the car comes stock with the clears!!
Got a link you can PM me for the bulbs?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Your car came with clear side markers?

Just ordered a pair and will be disappointed if the car comes stock with the clears!!
Got a link you can PM me for the bulbs?
All the 991's I saw at the dealership had clear side markers, but maybe these were vehicles pre-ordered and spec'd by the dealership, so they may have chosen to go with clear side markers from scratch.

Regarding the bulbs:

For the LEDs: http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=8

For the Hoen Chromium: http://www.hoen-usa.com/cr.htm

Both are only $19 a pair!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Great reporting in this thread. Too bad about the pullover, I hope they understood its new and cut u a big break.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Great reporting in this thread. Too bad about the pullover, I hope they understood its new and cut u a big break.
The deal was fair and the officer seemed to really like the car, Thanks

Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
The deal was fair and the officer seemed to really like the car, Thanks
Ah, the deal was he got to drive the car and try out SC+!

ChuckJ

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks!! When you get a chance, could you take a pic of the car with the lights on?

I ordered the clear sides but it came with the ambers and it looks like an Egg Yolk in there. Which one of the two do you recommend I get/do you have?

All the 991's I saw at the dealership had clear side markers, but maybe these were vehicles pre-ordered and spec'd by the dealership, so they may have chosen to go with clear side markers from scratch.

Regarding the bulbs:

For the LEDs: http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=8

For the Hoen Chromium: http://www.hoen-usa.com/cr.htm

Both are only $19 a pair!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM
warnica is on a distinguished road
Airbag Decal Delete

Forgot to post this one. Worked on all my cars.

Just use 91% rubbing alcohol.

Soak a waxing pad with alcohol and just rub the sun visors for a few minutes. After that, simply peel off the stickers.
No residue & no shiny spot. Looks a lot cleaner...

As far as you know, will 99% isopropyl alcohol work too?
Thanks for the tips.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by warnica
As far as you know, will 99% isopropyl alcohol work too?
Thanks for the tips.
It should. I have seen guys being unsuccessful, but that's when they were using 50% alcohol for instance...

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Thanks!! When you get a chance, could you take a pic of the car with the lights on?

I ordered the clear sides but it came with the ambers and it looks like an Egg Yolk in there. Which one of the two do you recommend I get/do you have?
I currently have the LEDs installed. Hoen Chromium and LEDs do not have any 'color' when they are off. Whether you go for one or the other depends on your preference to have a bright white or amber light when the side markers are on...

Here are a few pics of clear side markers fitted with LEDs:

Off:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6894592587/
On:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6894592259/
At night:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6894591175/
My only grief is that the headlights, front LEDs/DRLs and side markers LEDs do not have the exact same color/temperature. In fact the biggest mismatch is between the OEM LEDs/DRLs and the Xenons. Not much we can do about this

Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
SiriusXM service

SiriusXM's customer service is a good example of why (quasi)-monopolies are bad: companies do not need to care or help, you have no choice but go to them if you need the product they sell.
Traffic and Weather data on the 991's PCM works with SiriusXM only and here's my story so far:
  • when I goth the car, the 3 months free trial started… but only for the radio
  • The dealer called SiriusXM to extend the trial to traffic and weather but the response was 'no Sir, the owner needs to purchase the service'
  • I called SiriusXM for 40 minutes and the response was then that my vehicle was only able to receive radio, but no data. This is of course totally wrong...
  • The SiriusXM service rep could only 'open a trouble ticket' so that someone from their technical department would call me within 10 (TEN!!!) days to try to resolve this
  • Explaining this to my dealer, he tried to help by calling SiriusXM again with absolutely no succes… and a discussion with a rep that was far from courteous

In total, we are already up to 1hour and 30 minutes of phone communication with SiriusXM and no progress after a few days. The fact that I was already a SiriusXM customer did not make anything easier or give them any further sense of urgency.
I hope that the next generation of PCM will get data and Pandora services from a cellphone type of signal so that I can happily cancel my SiriusXM subscription

Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 PM
warnica is on a distinguished road
You have the best, most helpful thread going.

Took the decal off of the visor today--worked just as you said.

By the way, had a very similar problem with siriusXM over the last couple of days; they got it completely backward, and instead of extending my account from the old car, they killed everything. Finally got it right.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Came back too late and it was dark already. Will take picture this weekend after a nice detail.
While I was checking the dashboard, I discovered that the silver trim was missing around the stopwatch

Sent the picture to the dealer and waiting for the missing part. I doubt that Porsche would have missed it so it must have 'disappeared' at the dealership... Strange.
The dealership informed me that spare parts are not yet available, so the Porsche factory is going to send a complete new stopwatch assembly!!! This sounds crazy for a small trim part that may not cost more than a couple of bucks, but hey, it's their choice

Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Radar install

Where did you hard wire the radar detector to?

Do you have any pics of the wiring?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal