My Base Cab order (need advice/opinions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM
Johtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to behold
Base 20" Carrera S wheels on the way here as well. I donīt see the brakes as a turn off for 20" wheels, 1cm is barely a difference.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
I like you was torn about the PSE, But then I came to the conclusion that I like to drive with very loud music 90% of the time. I probably won't get full use out of the PSE. The base exhaust clip in the configuration sounds good enough for me. Also the sound inside the cabin is extremely good which for me is where it counts. I don't need to wake the neighbors every time I race out of my neighborhood. One less reason for them to shoot me dirty looks since I drive too fast as it is. Also listening to the base 991 exhaust back to back with the 997.2S on the configurator, it sounds as good if not better.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 19hole
I find it funny that people are complaining about the look of the "small" brakes on the 991. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference of 10mm OD in the brake rotors if the calipers were not painted different colors.

The standard base car brakes a fantastic, especially compared to pretty much any other cars bbrakes out there. Much better feel than BMW....
I agree with this statement, my local Porsche body shop will paint the calipers for $300. If the color does bother you. Also the brakes on the old base were much better than the current M3, read the car and driver review. The M3 brakes began to fade after hot laps while the base 997.2's brake stayed on and continued to bite strongly. (The car is lighter this year guys! Braking is better based on that even if they aren't bigger!)

Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Meatball is on a distinguished road
I'm ordering mine without the Premium Pkg or Bose but with PDK, PSE, PASM Sport Suspension, Torque Vectoring Plus, 20" wheels, sunroof (only nod to non-track beneficial items), Chrono Pkg, in Agate Grey. I will throw in a set of track seats so don't need the fancy seats (or the cost). The PASM Sport Suspension requires the 20" wheels but I don't why. Anyone know?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by aamersa
Are base 991's available in the US yet? Coz my salesperson here said they delivered a few base 991s already, in fact his very first 991 delivery on Feb 1 was a base!
Don't think so. I ordered a base coupe back in November and was told it wouldn't be here in the US before April. The dealer told me that was the earliest any base coupe would make it to the US. I changed my order to a cab, but the expected arrival date did not change.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ptarded
I agree with this statement, my local Porsche body shop will paint the calipers for $300. If the color does bother you.
Paint the base brakes red? That's a bit gauche, no? I could see someone doing this when the car is on the 5th owner after 15 years, but if you can afford >$80k for a new car, why would you do this?

Originally Posted by Ptarded
Also the brakes on the old base were much better than the current M3, read the car and driver review. The M3 brakes began to fade after hot laps while the base 997.2's brake stayed on and continued to bite strongly. (The car is lighter this year guys! Braking is better based on that even if they aren't bigger!)
Agreed. I also found the 08 e92 M3's brakes worse than the 05 987s' brakes on the track.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sapster
Don't think so. I ordered a base coupe back in November and was told it wouldn't be here in the US before April. The dealer told me that was the earliest any base coupe would make it to the US.
That's what I thought. So now it seems the delay in the base cars is limited to the US/Canada only.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by aamersa
That's what I thought. So now it seems the delay in the base cars is limited to the US/Canada only.
Was there a report of a delay on the base cars? I think I read that PCNA were putting all their efforts into bringing as many hi spec 991 S PDK cars as they could initially. This makes sense as I assume they are the most profitable 991 models currently being produced.

I did read on a German forum (pff) of possible Cabrio delays, but my schoolboy German language skills couldn't decipher all the details. Google translate wasn't much better.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Was there a report of a delay on the base cars? I think I read that PCNA were putting all their efforts into bringing as many hi spec 991 S PDK cars as they could initially. This makes sense as I assume they are the most profitable 991 models currently being produced.

I did read on a German forum (pff) of possible Cabrio delays, but my schoolboy German language skills couldn't decipher all the details. Google translate wasn't much better.
I hope not. I am going to stop by my dealership on Saturday to get info and hopefully listen to a base exhaust.

Anyone know what this is? OPTION ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest Y 0?

I don't have it on my order sheet and can't seem to even find it when I build my own on porscheusa.com

Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Anyone know what this is? OPTION ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest Y 0?

I don't have it on my order sheet and can't seem to even find it when I build my own on porscheusa.com
I wouldn't worry about it. I believe it is the crest on the front of the car. Lots of people have been asking about it, but I can't imagine them building a car without it for sale to a normal customer. The only time I could think of them not including it in a build is if the car was destined to go to another company for further production (i.e. - RUF).

Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Was there a report of a delay on the base cars?
No further delay, I just meant the delayed April arrival of base ones vs S arrivals in Feb.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !

My dealer says the delay in the base cars is an old rumor. Mine is scheduled for May.

ChuckJ

Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Meatball is on a distinguished road
Couldn't wait for the base, picking up an Agate Grey C2S this afternoon! Not perfect on the options (no PSE) but otherwise nice.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Paint the base brakes red? That's a bit gauche, no? I could see someone doing this when the car is on the 5th owner after 15 years, but if you can afford >$80k for a new car, why would you do this?
I wouldnt say gauche, people modify their brand new porsches all the time. Some people like red brakes some don't. I know some people who really dont like the yellow PCCB's and are considering painting them red as well. Gauche would be putting turbo lettering on you base 991 and painting the brakes red or yellow while trying to pass it off as a turbo.

Last edited by Ptarded; 02-20-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Meatball
Couldn't wait for the base, picking up an Agate Grey C2S this afternoon! Not perfect on the options (no PSE) but otherwise nice.
Congrats man, I'm super jelly right now >.>
Enjoy it, im sure you will.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Base Cab order (need advice/opinions)