No soup for you, GT3 lovers. PDK ONLY.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 PM
samuel will become famous soon enough
No soup for you, GT3 lovers. PDK ONLY.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/13/2...anual-gearbox/

"InsideLine sat down with the 911's product chief, August Achleitner, who confirmed that the next GT3 is on the way and that Porsche's motorsports division is testing both a manual and a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. However, only one gearbox will make it to production in 2013 and Achleitner believes the PDK will win out."

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
What!? No way. I'll believe it when I see it.

Maybe I'll get an antique armoire from Kramer with the GT3 blue prints in them and threaten to expose them so that Porsche will have to move to Argentina.

Last edited by Inglorious; 02-13-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
So that just means the manual lovers will have to wait till 2014 to get one. More time to save up.

But pdk will be offered for first time on the GT3 which means many who wouldn't have considered it b4 might now start getting it as a DD.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
I see the 997 RS 4.0 as being a strong collector's item in the same vein as the 993 Turbo S. If the new GT3s are all exclusively PDKs, then this will be even more true.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I'll believe it when I see it, but it shouldn't be too surprising. These cars are getting too fast off the line for a manual to be effective. Yes, most of the driving is above 2nd gear, but it's still a faster solution. The 997 TTS was the first to go PDK-only, only a matter of time for the rest.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Gt3 is not going to be exclusively pdk, at least not yet, just the initial runs may start with pdk which is what the op meant.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Huge mistake on Porsche's behalf if this is the case. There is no way Porsche is going from making a car exclusively in MT for decades and then suddenly pull the plug and switch to PDK exclusively. I know this car is all about performance and I can appreciate the advantages of PDK but you are suddenly telling your loyal fans that MT is out the door and PDK is the only option. I know quite a few people that bought GT3s for the fact that it is somewhat an exclusive badge of honour (manual only and completely unapologetic killer ride). The GT3 has always been about true driver involvement, engine control, and experience this is just not something that the PDK can replicate. They could lose out in so many ways. Guess we will soon see..

Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Makes sense for them, don't think it'll happen this go round. But the MT is definitely showing its age in terms of engineered capability. I'm sure Porsche will always offer a special order MT even if it is a novelty item. They are a german company, and german engineers are methodically cold when it comes to facts. The world knows germans dont have a problem pushing their agenda on everyone else! J/K. Truth of the matter is the GT3 is meant to go around a track as fast and efficiently as possible, currently the PDK is too good to not consider as the best option. The new PDK is mind blowingly good even compared to the current PDK. I certainly didn't think it could be better at picking gears or faster in shifting that it already was. (Also, Paddles are fun and involving, for me anyway.)

P.S. There's always the GT2 which is really the more hardcore go fast drivers car.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by samuel
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/13/2...anual-gearbox/

"InsideLine sat down with the 911's product chief, August Achleitner, who confirmed that the next GT3 is on the way and that Porsche's motorsports division is testing both a manual and a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. However, only one gearbox will make it to production in 2013 and Achleitner believes the PDK will win out."

If this is true, Porsche has just made my GT3 purchase decision very easy, I will buy a 997 GT3...

However, Porsche knows its customers too well, if anything, I am sure they will offer both PDK and traditional manual.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
This reinforces my sense that Porsche is moving in a different direction, away from traditonal sports car character and towards something more modern and high-end. I too am starting to think that I should be on the lookout for a nice 997 GT3 while good examples are still out there. I know PDK is faster, but I'm not a racer, so my lap times aren't that important to me.

This discussion reminds me of the distinction between 'mechanical' musical instruments vs highly-electronic musical instruments (eg, acoustic vs electronic drums). Nowadays, you can even create music via a computer without physically playing an instrument at all, but what's the fun in that? IMO, there's no substitute for tactile interaction, putting your body and senses fully into the process. Even in this cyberage, we humans are still embodied beings.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned
Jon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really niceJon70ProofZ is just really nice
Jason Plato said it best, there's something about driving a porsche with a proper manual gearbox.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
one into production in 2013....OK...i can see the logic for a one year decision.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
... there is no substitute for tactile interaction, putting your body and senses fully into the process. Even in this cyberage, we humans are still embodied beings.[/quote]

Exactly, could not have put it better myself...

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
... there is no substitute for tactile interaction, putting your body and senses fully into the process. Even in this cyberage, we humans are still embodied beings.

Exactly, could not have put it better myself...[/quote]

+1,

Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
I'm positive that Porsche will continue to make an amazing variant of 911 that is tailored to the drivers of yesterday. Also, the new 991S is as fast as the old GT3, and last time I checked it comes in a manual with all of the conviences of a normal 991. So if I understand this correctly you don't care that the PDK is faster you want to be involved more with the car, so the GT3 with PDK shouldn't matter to you as there are still 911 options with the manual. Also we haven't heard for sure if this is the case nor any details on the GT2 (which is the true track monster). VW Group had to make the same decision with the Audi TT RS and they chose the MANUAL, not the double clutch auto. So all hope is not lost. (BTW steering and accelerating and braking are all tactile experiences.)

Just an observation that might give you some perspective (doubt it will), take it with a grain of sand. The Amish(Manual purists) also think that their ludicrous way of life with no technology is the perfect one and the way god intended us to live; ie. with 18th century technology in horse drawn carriages and no electricity. They are quick to excommunicate those who use modern conviences (Automatics) if they dont repent and see the error of their ways.
Not starting a flame war just trying to get some perspective out there. I love driving manuals, I also love the PDK, its is an amazing feat of technological and mechanical engineering. The 911 has always been on the cutting edge of engineering. They've always been equipped with the absolute best technologies. The 959 introduced the world to many new techs that would trickle into the 911 including all wheel drive and ABS. Point is Porsche has always been function and efficiency over form and passion, minus the glaring oversight of rear engine placement.
Sorry about the rant, thanks for reading.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No soup for you, GT3 lovers. PDK ONLY.