Euro Delivery - front liscence bracket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM
WeaseyJack is on a distinguished road
European Delivery - Front License Plate

Thought I'd post some pictures of my solution to using the tow hook mount.

The first photo shows the assembled US Mill Works tow hook bracket. The second photo shows the US Mill Works tow hook bracket and the European plate bracket. If you look closely at the US Mill Works tow hook bracket, you will see that I drilled and tapped 4 screw holes for attaching the European bracket. The third and fourth photos show the European bracket attached to the US Mill Works tow hook bracket. I used screws supplied in the US Mill Works kit. German plates don't come with mounting holes pre-drilled. However, when the European bracket is closed it looks like it will hold the plate securely without screws. As an added precaution, I will use a couple of office supply black spring clamps at the top to make sure the European bracket will not pop open during driving. Since you can easily remove the silver clamp handles this should not be noticeable except up close. The fifth photo shows the full and closed assembly sans the Euro plate. The full assembly goes together in minutes and I expect mounting it to the car should not take more than 10 minutes max. I'll post final results when I return at the end of October. Happy motoring all.

Attached Images      
Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
You seem to be a well trained man. I would have been doing this on the dinning room table.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
European Delivery - front License Plate

LMAO. I did do all the work on the kitchen table. My wife wasn't home and I didn't leave any evidence - I hope. If I'd have done the work on the dining room table, she would have attached the bracket to my tow hook. Yow!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
stronbl has a spectacular aura aboutstronbl has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ABC991
Well, just returned from an amazing trip. 8 days, 2400KM's, 4 people in a 991 with luggage, just awesome!

As for the front plate. PCNA followed through and when I arrived they had held off on installing the front plate. My delivery lead met with my wife as my son and I were on the factory tour. (My youngest is 9, so couldn't do the tour, so my wife stayed with him. Interesting note though, they have a babysitter/nanny who would take care of the younger ones if you wanted while you are on the tour)

He looked at the SkeneDesign bracket and the screws that came with it and was very uncomfortable that it would be secure enough at speed. (I did go 257KM/hr in 7th for a short bit of wide-open autobahn). His concern was that it would work loose. The obvious issue with that would be damage the secondary issue is that if you loose the plate the police/paperwork is supposed to be a nightmare. He scared me sufficiently that I told him to attach the permanent plate, which he did. He said he is very comfortable with the tow-hook type bracket. I have front parking sensors, so I had not brought that bracket with me.

Either way, Porsche was very accommodating and willing to do what I would like. They also offered not to install it at all, but I didn't want any disruptions or police attention on our trip.

Attachment 184512
Too bad about the Skene Design bracket. I have used it for 2 years now with no problems. DE's and TT's with a one time top speed at 140mph, many times at 110mph+. I did make sure I used some blue loctite on the underneath screws. It was very secure. I bet you would have been just fine if you used the loctite in addition to the sticky pads.

Last month I made a slight modification. I purchase two nylon #8 screw grommets (square type). I inserted them into the original screws holes -- had to modify for the square shape. Glued them in with gorilla glue and painted them basalt black. The square grommets were white originally. They mount very close to flush to the under side of the bumper, but when painted they are virtually invisible. My reason for the change was to allow for me to easily attach and detach the mounting brackets without oversizing the screw hole. They also add strength to the mount. Very solid.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Hawkman will become famous soon enough
I'm just checking this out for my Euro delivery. Having to turn off the sensors on a European adventure seems like a recipe for disaster to me - I can just see myself nudging a kerb or worse...
But it seems to me that the Skene would be ideal with a belt-and-braces adhesive pad behind, to keep it from vibrating? Anyone tried this?
Sure want to avoid holes if I can!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Hey 2cardinalalums,

6speedonline wouldn't let me respond to your private email as I do not have enough posts under my belt - go figure. Hi,

Unfortunately, I had to change my Euro delivery to US delivery at the last minute and never got to use the tow hook bracket assembly. If you're interested, I can mount it to my 981 and take some pictures for you. I purchased the euro frame from Amazon:

European License Plate Frame : Amazon.com : Automotive European License Plate Frame : Amazon.com : Automotive

The tow hook frame came from USmillworks.com.

The hardest part of making the assembly is drilling and tapping the screw holes on the US Millworks aluminum plate - which wasn't hard for me as I have a tap and dye set in my toolbox.

If you would like to purchase mine, I'll sell it to you for the low low price of $80 + shipping. Let me know. My direct email address is canyouseethereal@me.com.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM
2cardinalalums is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WeaseyJack
The tow hook frame came from USmillworks.com.

If you would like to purchase mine, I'll sell it to you for the low low price of $80 + shipping. Let me know.
Hi WeaseyJack,
I'll email you.
Thanks.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by WeaseyJack
Thought I'd post some pictures of my solution to using the tow hook mount.

The first photo shows the assembled US Mill Works tow hook bracket. The second photo shows the US Mill Works tow hook bracket and the European plate bracket. If you look closely at the US Mill Works tow hook bracket, you will see that I drilled and tapped 4 screw holes for attaching the European bracket. The third and fourth photos show the European bracket attached to the US Mill Works tow hook bracket. I used screws supplied in the US Mill Works kit. German plates don't come with mounting holes pre-drilled. However, when the European bracket is closed it looks like it will hold the plate securely without screws. As an added precaution, I will use a couple of office supply black spring clamps at the top to make sure the European bracket will not pop open during driving. Since you can easily remove the silver clamp handles this should not be noticeable except up close. The fifth photo shows the full and closed assembly sans the Euro plate. The full assembly goes together in minutes and I expect mounting it to the car should not take more than 10 minutes max. I'll post final results when I return at the end of October. Happy motoring all.
I got this from WeaseyJack to use on my Euro Delivery, but I ended up not using it. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM
diverson is on a distinguished road
Hi 2cardinalalums,
Do you still have this bracket for sale? If so can you please PM me (because I'm new I can't send you a PM until I have at least 15 posts). I'm doing a ED of my 2014 Carrera 4 in March/2014. Did you end up using it with your ED? If so did all go well?
Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by diverson
Hi 2cardinalalums,
Do you still have this bracket for sale? If so can you please PM me (because I'm new I can't send you a PM until I have at least 15 posts). I'm doing a ED of my 2014 Carrera 4 in March/2014. Did you end up using it with your ED? If so did all go well?
Thanks,
Dave
PM sent.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
General questions for anyone using the US Millworks Lic Plate solution...

1) Which one works best (the "lightened") which has more holes and mounting points or the standard

2) Anyone tried the quick disconnect option

3) The disclaimer it isn't compatible with front parking sensors but anyone figured tried to see if they could make it work with them? I'm wondering if the "lightened" might work a bit better since there are more mounting options..