Tire and Wheel Insurance?

Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 AM
KevinC is on a distinguished road
I bought the wheel insurance for peace of mind - I figured I would drive the car hard when possible, which I do, so for the cost of the policy I have one less thing to worry about. This is a simple cost benefit analysis and for me the benefit outweighed the cost.

I don't plan to wreck the car, but I have comprehensive auto insurance too....

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
TiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone looking to upgrade their Lugs we do replace the OEMs with our Titanium bolts!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, can someone advice on using Fidelity W&T Insurance company for Porsche cars? Anyone has had any experience with them? Google seems to bringing up pretty nasty results ....

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
Guys, can someone advice on using Fidelity W&T Insurance company for Porsche cars? Anyone has had any experience with them? Google seems to bringing up pretty nasty results ....
Understand that insurance companies are essentially organized crime. Once you appreciate that fact you are then prepared to shop for coverage. Decide what risk you want to self insure then shop for coverage for the excess risk. Obtain a copy of the policy before you buy and check with your insurance commissioner about the company.

I purchased a Safe-Guard policy, had a wheel replaced $1600+, key replaced $300+ and ding fixed $75. It more than paid for itself in 18 months and it is a 60 month policy. I paid $1321 for the policy.

For the wheel claim I had to get past the phone answerers and "beat up" the "managers" after their wheel repair shop initially did a poor repair job on the wheel then did a great job of painting it...the wrong color. They then agreed to pay for a new wheel.

Appreciate that they are going to try to cheap out on every single claim.

I would have rather not purchased it, but considering the low profile tires and expensive wheels, I did.

Last edited by rnl; 05-01-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 AM
willyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nicewillyspub is just really nice
Recognizing that this is an old thread, figured I would chip in my thoughts. I agree with all the folks here who believe that point of sale insurance policies are a racket. But given the 20s, expensive tires and horrible Houston roads, I opted for the $1200 wheel/tire replacement policy with five years of coverage.

Four days later I got a nail in my driver's side rear tire. The policy hadn't even been entered into the system yet. But the tire was replaced no questions asked, and so the policy has almost paid for itself already (tire was $650 plus labor).

The dealer said they have a guy who has had 21 claims under the policy. After a few incidents they start sending an adjustor to verify, but every one of his has checked out, and resulted in a full wheel or tire replacement.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
I've had it on previous cars replaced 4 tires and fixed 3 bent wheels. I also have it on my 991. As others have mentioned with the 20's and rough roads it worth it to me.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
I recently bought my pre-owned 991 (February, 2014). I checked into the W & T road hazard and thought for $1300 for a 5 year unlimited mileage policy it was worth it. Our roads here in Michigan are terrible. After I told the dealer to go ahead and read over the contract, it had a maximum benefit of $5,000 for the life of the policy contract. A $1300 investment for a $5,000 max. benefit is NOT a very good bet in my book. I opted to pass and cross my fingers every time I drive the 991.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
I live in NJ (enough said) I bought the insurance and have had to use it twice
! it's already almost paid for itself! I suggest you buy it.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Compukidd
which insurance company is this with? I dont want any headaches and would just like a replacement in case of road hazards

Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Compukidd
That depends whether you are looking at the costs saved as patching the tire from the inside (around $30) or replacing the tire ($300-600). A nail in the tread like Willyspub describes is almost definitely repairable with a simple patch. Also if you replace, you will probably end up with uneven treads between the new and old tires.

Now, if you tear the sidewall that's a definite replacement, but it's not usually the case (and even so you would have to do that 2-3x times just to break even on the insurance).

Finally, Tirerack sells road hazard insurance for something like $10 per tire so think about that versus the $1000+ for the third party policy.

Last edited by KonaKai; 05-02-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
RichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of light
I understood that the tires aren't supposed to be repaired, so a replacement is necessary if you get a nail. That's why I bought the wheel and tire insurance. With all the construction that's happening in our city, I got two screws/nails in my other car last year.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RichardC
I understood that the tires aren't supposed to be repaired, so a replacement is necessary if you get a nail. That's why I bought the wheel and tire insurance. With all the construction that's happening in our city, I got two screws/nails in my other car last year.
The dealer won't patch because that's Porsche's policy but patching tires (from the inside) has been around as long as the radial tire and is plenty safe. Any decent tire shop can do it. Personally I've had it done three times (on my 997) with no issues whatsoever, including at track days (though I wouldn't recommend that and wouldn't do it again).

To replace a tire with a nail in the center tread that is otherwise good is, IMHO, a waste of money.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 PM
RichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of lightRichardC is a glorious beacon of light
So, what you're saying is we should be dumpster diving for almost new tires discarded outside the dealership that can still be patched? lol.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by RichardC
So, what you're saying is we should be dumpster diving for almost new tires discarded outside the dealership that can still be patched? lol.
exactly

Old 05-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Chiboy is on a distinguished road
It's funny to me that when you read the comments on a thread like this, you would think insurance companies are out of their minds offering this coverage, as virtually everyone who gets it, more than gets his/her money's worth. ;-)

My personal take, having had risk management as one of my responsibilities in a corporate job long ago, is that you should self insure any loss that you can readily absorb. And I do that. But if your peace of mind is impacted thinking that you are going to bend a $1000 wheel or ruin a $600 tire every time you slide behind the wheel of your baby, then financial logic is not what you are looking for.

I will admit to having a few reservations about declining the insurance after our wicked winter here and the ensuing potholes. Things seem to be getting filled in though, and I am careful. So far so good.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Insurance?