991 tires....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chancludo
Resurrecting this thread because, after almost a year of happy cornering, my OEM P-Zeroes are pretty threadbare, in particular the rears.

Attached is TireRack's comparison of the Michelin PSS, Pirelli P-Zero (non-N) and P-Zero N. (Data where only one tire differs are marked yellow and data where all three tires differ are marked green for easier parsing.)

Assuming the data TireRack gives for the tires isn't totally off, four things jump out at me right away:
  1. Their Customer survey ratings are much higher for the PSS.
  2. The PSS is designed for less thread wear (300 vs 220). Assuming thread wear is roughly proportional to grip, this means less grip for the PSS.
  3. The non-N and N-spec P-Zeros actually differ significantly. In particular, the non-N-spec P-Zero has a much higher front load rating and weighs more in front and less in the back. Section and thread widths differ throughout.
  4. There is no significant difference in price for a set of non-N-spec ($1,602) and N-spec ($1,640) P-Zeros.
Seeing that both the PSS and non-N P-Zero are sold for many vehicles, not just the 911, doesn't this support the N-spec-leaning camp? In particular, there doesn't seem to be an "N-spec markup", it seems P-Zeros are just more expensive.
For the M PSS rear, 101Y XL for BMW spec is closer to N rated P Zero.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....XLV2&tab=Specs

Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 AM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by drspeed
Not sure what you mean by specs. Go to tirerack.com and enter your car's specification and the tire choices along with all specs will appear.

The Pilot Super Sports are slightly higher load rating in the front than the Pirellis 94 vs. 91. They could be marginally heavier, but that's not certain.

What is certain is that they are less expensive!

Also, there's link on the tirerack, or perhaps its on pca.org - so that once you are within the PCA tirerack site, a portion of your purchase gets donated to the PCA. At least that was the case in 2011. Worth checking into.

Regards,
DRP
I wonder if it is going to be an issue if we use a considerably lower load rating than the original? 91 vs 95 is a bit difference.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM
gracious_911 is on a distinguished road
But On tirerack, it seems the only suggestion for the 2S and 4S is pirellis..
seems like there is no size for us on the michelins..

Originally Posted by drspeed
The 991 (aside from the base car with 19s) seemingly only comes on Pirelli Pzeros - regardless of which country you're in, the engine size, suspension or any other spec.

This begs an interesting question - How will it feel on Pilot Super Sports? (b/c you can damn sure bet those will be the first set of replacements on my car)

I'm not a race car driver, but I have experienced the impact of switching tires on performance road cars. You can really alter stability, turn in response, grip and general steering effort just by changing types of tires.

I'm a huge Michelin fan. Although these Pirellis grip like glue once your in a steady state mid corner, they don't strike me as a particularly sophisticated tire? Tire rack effectively rates the PSS above the Pzero in every category. I'd love to hear from a 991 owner once they go to Michelins. I wouldn't be surprised if the french rubber restores a bit more feeling to the new steering.

P.S. anyone notice there is no curb guard on the rear pirellis? The side wall is totally convex - a bit odd.

Regards,
DRP

Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Since the GT3 is getting Dunlop Sport Maxx Race, I'm hoping they will release those in 20's. My guess would be they would outperform the MSS.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gracious_911
But On tirerack, it seems the only suggestion for the 2S and 4S is pirellis..
seems like there is no size for us on the michelins..
Not sure I understand. The image I posted shows the MPSS for 20" C2S models in 240/295 size.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Resurrecting this thread because, after almost a year of happy cornering, my OEM P-Zeroes are pretty threadbare, in particular the rears.

Attached is TireRack's comparison of the Michelin PSS, Pirelli P-Zero (non-N) and P-Zero N. (Data where only one tire differs are marked yellow and data where all three tires differ are marked green for easier parsing.)

Assuming the data TireRack gives for the tires isn't totally off, four things jump out at me right away:
  1. Their Customer survey ratings are much higher for the PSS.
  2. The PSS is designed for less thread wear (300 vs 220). Assuming thread wear is roughly proportional to grip, this means less grip for the PSS.
  3. The non-N and N-spec P-Zeros actually differ significantly. In particular, the non-N-spec P-Zero has a much higher front load rating and weighs more in front and less in the back. Section and thread widths differ throughout.
  4. There is no significant difference in price for a set of non-N-spec ($1,602) and N-spec ($1,640) P-Zeros.

Seeing that both the PSS and non-N P-Zero are sold for many vehicles, not just the 911, doesn't this support the N-spec-leaning camp? In particular, there doesn't seem to be an "N-spec markup", it seems P-Zeros are just more expensive.
That all makes sense but from experience on almost all my previous Porsches, I found the P-Zero compound seemingly harder, more difficult to get up to optimal temp or able to feel that threshold, and terrible in wet and/or conditions, particularly in cornering (even low-speed cornering) in comparison to the various versions of the Porsche-build Pilots.

Your timing on this question today was perfect because I was bad mouthing my P-Zeros this morning at dawn while heading off to the office. Hoping to change over to Pilots again soon.

As far as tread wear is concerned, there are just two many variables in each of our drivings styles to say one way or the other which tire is really better for tread wear. I guess.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
tread wear...

[*]The PSS is designed for less thread wear (300 vs 220). Assuming thread wear is roughly proportional to grip, this means less grip for the PSS.[*]The non-N and N-spec P-Zeros actually differ significantly. In particular, the non-N-spec P-Zero has a much higher front load rating and weighs more in front and less in the back. Section and thread widths differ throughout.
good points in regard to the 2 tires, however, the Pirelli has a wear rating of 220 and the michelin is 300. So the Michelin lasts longer. Michelin made a big deal about longevity with the PSS. Their PR reads that using technology perfected at LeMans, not only is overall durability increased, but particularly when used on track the PSSs are allegedly 50% more durable in that environment than the PS2. Anyone who followed F1 in the first 1/2 of the last decade knows Michelins wear more slowly than a tire with such grip has any right to.

Last thing. They now offer a 91Y load rating front PSS which matches the OEM tire.

I will be getting the Michelins...

DRP

Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
front vs. rear wear for the 991?

Can anyone who needs new rear tires on their 991 comment on the condition of their fronts?

Given the new wheelbase and other changes, the fronts seem to be shouldering more of the load than on my last 997. All other things being equal, this should lead to more front tire wear. It used to be 2 rears for every front set. Do the fronts need replacing along with the rears now for the new car (I'monly at 9000 miles - 2 of which were on winter tires)?

Happy easter,
DRP

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
PDCC or none?

Just had 10k service done. I have the same wear on all four tires, i.e., 5mm of tread left. I have PDCC and P-Zeros.

Last edited by VikingMariner; 03-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
How many miles left on my rears? This is approx. 7k miles of wear.

New Michelins this summer....

DRP

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	227306  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Has anyone tried the P Zero Corsas on the 991? They're the only street-able semi-R I could find in the 20" sizes.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
These are my P-Zero's at 7500 miles. Front looks good, but back has lost most surface grooves

Guess that's what you get for those mountain twisties...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	227983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	227984  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
mix and match?

probably a dopey question, but anything wrong with putting paired michelin pss's on the rears and leave the front pzero's on when replacement needed for rears only?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM
barihunk will become famous soon enoughbarihunk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by oldman40
probably a dopey question, but anything wrong with putting paired michelin pss's on the rears and leave the front pzero's on when replacement needed for rears only?
I'm not 100% sure what the technical reason is, but I've always read that all 4 have to be the same kind of tires. Probably for handling consistency, but I'm not sure there's much of an effect if any for a regular road car. I sure as heck see lots of beaters out there running mismatched tires, not to mention doughnut spares.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 AM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by oldman40
It won't be a problem unless you're pushing the car to it's limit e.g. tracking. Only mix tires of the same performance type though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 tires....