6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Finally Ordered my new 991 in Guards Red (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/285494-finally-ordered-my-new-991-guards-red.html)

Dallas991 09-01-2012 01:42 PM

Finally Ordered my new 991 in Guards Red

This will be my first Porsche. Selling my white 2009 E93 M3 Convertible. I originally went with Basalt Black Metallic because it was a safe, gorgeous color (with Ceramic Brakes). But my heart wanted Guards Red (I've never owned a red car). I finally made the call and changed my custom order to Guards Red today after going to Cars and Coffee this morning in Plano.

Here is my configuration:

Guards Red Exterior
Black/Platinum Grey Leather Interior (was going to go with Luxor Beige but I was worried about dash glare and I prefer a black steering wheel).
Burmester Audio
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sports Seats Plus
Park Assist (Front and Rear)
Sunroof
Electric folding mirrors
Model Designation "911"
PDCC with PASM
Sports Exhaust System
PDK
Sport Chrono Package
Carrera S Wheel (this wheel most closely resemble my M3's competition package wheels)
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
Wheel Spacers, 5mm
Multi-function steering wheel
Two-tone leather interior
Porsche Crests on Headrests
Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated
Key painted exterior color

Build completion is targeted for 10/18. This is going to be the longest three months ever :-)

I have attached images I found online that most closely match my config! I'll post the real deal in November...

http://ugc.porsche.contain.com/photo...tb_640x480.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/e3e24455.jpg

DZD 09-01-2012 02:41 PM

Nice - I often dream of a Guards Red coupe with the Tan interior - isn't there a way you can order a black dash top, door tops, headliner and black steering wheel and keep everything else Luxor or Sand?

Look forward to seeing your car @ C&C.

:)

Rocket_boy 09-01-2012 02:53 PM

Sorry, but I'm afraid you just can't do that as I must have the the only Guards Red 991 in DFW! Mine has a build date of 9/18, so at least I have a month or two on you :-)

Seriously though, like you all my past Porsches have been black, or dark colors. Wanted something different this time and Guards Red kept haunting my brain, so that it is. I did get to see one ready for delivery when I was finalizing my order, it is everything I thought it would be. While a bit rare, it is a stunning color on the 991.

Nice spec too!, I went with many of the same options including Burmester, good choice. Waiting like you now, but my car is now locked with no changes allowed being close to production, can't wait till it gets here.

BrandonH 09-01-2012 03:28 PM

Nicely Specced.....Good for you for getting Red !

Dallas991 09-01-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy (Post 3630699)
Sorry, but I'm afraid you just can't do that as I must have the the only Guards Red 991 in DFW! Mine has a build date of 9/18, so at least I have a month or two on you :-)

Seriously though, like you all my past Porsches have been black, or dark colors. Wanted something different this time and Guards Red kept haunting my brain, so that it is. I did get to see one ready for delivery when I was finalizing my order, it is everything I thought it would be. While a bit rare, it is a stunning color on the 991.

Nice spec too!, I went with many of the same options including Burmester, good choice. Waiting like you now, but my car is now locked with no changes allowed being close to production, can't wait till it gets here.

Sweet! Did you go with Boardwalk or Park Place? I ordered through Boardwalk even though I live in UP. Great service and my sales guy has been really helpful. Which wheels did you go with?

Z356 09-01-2012 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DZD (Post 3630690)
Isn't there a way you can order a black dash top, door tops, headliner and black steering wheel and keep everything else Luxor or Sand?

Coming...hopefully very soon! Black/Luxor Beige (Sand is the old 997 color). But you don't want it to look like the 991 Cabriolet pictured below!

From an earlier post:

A) Two Tone Interiors: Someone from 'Porsche Exclusive' mentioned to me two weeks ago (at the temporary Porsche Zentrum set up at Quail Lodge) that Porsche is about to allow an expanded selection of Bi-Color interiors on their 991 model. For example, they will allow a 'Black/Carrera Red' interior combination for which there is some demand. Currently, that is not easy to do well on the 991, other than the two standard Bi-Color offerings of 'Agate/Pebble Grey' and 'Black/Platinum Grey'. Up to now, a nightmare scenario may occur when folks order a deviating color dash and top of the door trims other than the standard Bi-Colors offerings! Take a look at the attached photo of a 991 Cabriolet with a 'Luxor Beige' interior and deviating leather dash & upper door trims in 'Black' leather. The current ordering system inexplicably allows all the soft-touch plastic parts in the interior to remain 'Luxor Beige', not 'Black' at the appropriate places in the dash (vents/speakers), rear cab shelf area and circular plug on door trim. The results is a visual mismatch of epic proportions!

I feel quite bad for the unsuspecting owner who ordered this cab with high expectations of a beautiful two-tone interior! It also shows that anyone must be careful in what you order from Porsche. PAG will build it as requested by your dealer in the computer order guides, even when it looks like a terrible thing (as in this case). There is no second guessing the customer or a friendly email to dealer asking someone to please reconsider! If that is what you order, we will build it, Jawohl! That is in part why I am doing my threads on 6Speedonline. So that our forum members know how important it's to pay attention to all details in your order and choose wisely from the multiple options offered by 'Porsche Exclusive'!

B) The new ordering system will soon allow the subcontractors to supply the production line with color coordinated 'soft touch' parts when a customer makes a request for a Bi-Color interior. In the case of the Cabriolet in the attached photo, all the areas surrounding the 'Black' leather dash will be done in soft-touch painted in 'Black'. Same for the other trim pieces in the rear of the cabin. It's really a small change in their order guides which really should have been allowed from day one so that the owner of this 'Luxor Beige' 991 cab should not have had to experienced this abomination!

C) I would still want to know how they will coordinate the Alcantara on a coupe in the case of a Bi-Color customized interior. For example, if you order a full 'Luxor Beige' interior, the headliner and A & B pillars are done in 'Luxor Beige' Alcantara (photo # 2). Will they changed this to 'Black' or 'Charcoal' Alcantara if you order 'Black/Luxor Beige'? Or 'Agate' Alcantara when you chose 'Agate/Luxor Beige'? I would think so.

D) The impetus for all of this change (in my opinion) comes from the complaint of many that the lighter color interiors allow the dash to reflect on the raked windshield and obstruct vision! So PAG is trying to remedy this objection by offering consumers a choice. Personally, I also think it looks quite attractive. I expect to see quite a few 'Black/Carrera Red', 'Black/Luxor Beige' and 'Agate/Luxor Beige' interiors, to name but a few of the options!

You can read the rest here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ive-you-4.html

Saludos,
Eduardo

dhill911 09-01-2012 05:03 PM

Nice Spec. Congratulations!! Did you go Carbon breaks? I'm on my 3rd month of waiting for my 1st Porsche. Still have 1 to go. Hard, but I know well worth it.

Cevin 09-01-2012 05:45 PM

Congrats - You'll have something to be very thankful for come Thanksgiving!!! Specs are great! Can't wait for the pics.

Attilas 09-01-2012 06:34 PM

Congrats. I am in a similar dilemma. I actually have a red E90 M3 now (first red car ive ever had) and it's been a while since I've had a black car, so that is what I am planning for my 991, but seeing more pics like this of guards red get me second guessing myself.

TSpyder 09-01-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas991 (Post 3630656)

That image was taken by me during factory delivery.Thanks for the propshilarious

Spyder

Dallas991 09-01-2012 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by TSpyder (Post 3630910)
That image was taken by me during factory delivery.Thanks for the propshilarious

Spyder

Thanks! It definitely helped me confirm that was the right interior choice for me!

KevinC 09-02-2012 07:51 AM

Great spec. The wait is agonizing, but well worth it.

Rocket_boy 09-02-2012 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas991 (Post 3630730)
Sweet! Did you go with Boardwalk or Park Place? I ordered through Boardwalk even though I live in UP. Great service and my sales guy has been really helpful. Which wheels did you go with?

Park Place for my 997.2 and 991, Boardwalk for my Cayman S before then. Both are usually great to deal with.

Went with the Sport Design wheels painted black,....love the look on a red or white 991. Saw a guards red Cayman R with black wheels and that is what sold me on the combo. Washed and waxed properly in sunlight I don't think it gets any better!

Rocket_boy 09-02-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 3630764)
Coming...hopefully very soon! Black/Luxor Beige (Sand is the old 997 color). But you don't want it to look like the 991 Cabriolet pictured below!

From an earlier post:

A) Two Tone Interiors: Someone from 'Porsche Exclusive' mentioned to me two weeks ago (at the temporary Porsche Zentrum set up at Quail Lodge) that Porsche is about to allow an expanded selection of Bi-Color interiors on their 991 model. For example, they will allow a 'Black/Carrera Red' interior combination for which there is some demand. Currently, that is not easy to do well on the 991, other than the two standard Bi-Color offerings of 'Agate/Pebble Grey' and 'Black/Platinum Grey'. Up to now, a nightmare scenario may occur when folks order a deviating color dash and top of the door trims other than the standard Bi-Colors offerings! Take a look at the attached photo of a 991 Cabriolet with a 'Luxor Beige' interior and deviating leather dash & upper door trims in 'Black' leather. The current ordering system inexplicably allows all the soft-touch plastic parts in the interior to remain 'Luxor Beige', not 'Black' at the appropriate places in the dash (vents/speakers), rear cab shelf area and circular plug on door trim. The results is a visual mismatch of epic proportions!

I feel quite bad for the unsuspecting owner who ordered this cab with high expectations of a beautiful two-tone interior! It also shows that anyone must be careful in what you order from Porsche. PAG will build it as requested by your dealer in the computer order guides, even when it looks like a terrible thing (as in this case). There is no second guessing the customer or a friendly email to dealer asking someone to please reconsider! If that is what you order, we will build it, Jawohl! That is in part why I am doing my threads on 6Speedonline. So that our forum members know how important it's to pay attention to all details in your order and choose wisely from the multiple options offered by 'Porsche Exclusive'!

B) The new ordering system will soon allow the subcontractors to supply the production line with color coordinated 'soft touch' parts when a customer makes a request for a Bi-Color interior. In the case of the Cabriolet in the attached photo, all the areas surrounding the 'Black' leather dash will be done in soft-touch painted in 'Black'. Same for the other trim pieces in the rear of the cabin. It's really a small change in their order guides which really should have been allowed from day one so that the owner of this 'Luxor Beige' 991 cab should not have had to experienced this abomination!

C) I would still want to know how they will coordinate the Alcantara on a coupe in the case of a Bi-Color customized interior. For example, if you order a full 'Luxor Beige' interior, the headliner and A & B pillars are done in 'Luxor Beige' Alcantara (photo # 2). Will they changed this to 'Black' or 'Charcoal' Alcantara if you order 'Black/Luxor Beige'? Or 'Agate' Alcantara when you chose 'Agate/Luxor Beige'? I would think so.

D) The impetus for all of this change (in my opinion) comes from the complaint of many that the lighter color interiors allow the dash to reflect on the raked windshield and obstruct vision! So PAG is trying to remedy this objection by offering consumers a choice. Personally, I also think it looks quite attractive. I expect to see quite a few 'Black/Carrera Red', 'Black/Luxor Beige' and 'Agate/Luxor Beige' interiors, to name but a few of the options!

You can read the rest here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ive-you-4.html

Saludos,
Eduardo

Agree with you totally,....one of the major reasons I never tried to order a piece meal bi-color interior,....it never looks right under the current build configuration.

IMO for the price paid for a new 991 more interior options are needed. A bi-color black/red, black/tan and even a grey/blue as standard configurator options should be there already.

Anyone ever worked with the Aston Martin website?....talk about any combination thinkable, really cool.

af330i 09-02-2012 05:12 PM

There is something so beautiful about a Red 991 ... I went black this time around but the next one will be either Red or white ...

Congrats ... your order sheet has what I consider some perfect options and some over the top items which makes it just soooo nice ... kind of like ordering ice cream(perfect options) and then including Sprinkles and hot fudge ... oh yeah over the top is good !!!!!!!

Congrats and the 3 month wait will be here before you know it.