First Tank Of Gas, Low MPG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
First Tank Of Gas, Low MPG

I went through my first tank of fuel and was only able to get 18.8 mpg. This was mostly with the auto stop function off, and the rpm's rarely exceeded over 4500 rpm, because I am adhering the best I can to the recommended engine break in period. I have on the new tank, started using the auto stop function to see if there is an improvements. Any better fuel use?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
I got 17ish with my first tank so it's right about there. I'm now around 25ish.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Are you using sport mode? If so, that will increase consumption. I've gotten 23.6 over the entire 2500 miles since I've used it and I haven't gone on a road trip yet, except bringing it home from San Antonio to Dallas when I bought it.

ChuckJ

Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Check your tire inflation. Comfort setting or standard inflation?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Are you using sport mode? If so, that will increase consumption. I've gotten 23.6 over the entire 2500 miles since I've used it and I haven't gone on a road trip yet, except bringing it home from San Antonio to Dallas when I bought it.

ChuckJ
I've used sport mode just a couple of times, Los Angeles traffic foils my fun.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by rnl
I think the dealer set up comfort, thanks for the tip.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
18 sounds great. I always have Sport mode on and thus no Auto Start/Stop. I bought this car to have fun, not to get great mileage. Oops

Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rnl
There is nothing in my manual regarding a "comfort pressure" setting, Please, could someone care to elaborate?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Zmoney
18 sounds great. I always have Sport mode on and thus no Auto Start/Stop. I bought this car to have fun, not to get great mileage. Oops
I bought the car for fun too, but I am so fascinated with every feature of the car I can't help experimenting with it. I came from a V-8 Jaguar which at best got 12 mpg, so I just giggle when I get more then that from a Porsche.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Airportrat
I've used sport mode just a couple of times, Los Angeles traffic foils my fun.
You should take it out on a level highway and push reset on the mileage. Then travel 15 miles at 65 MPH cruise. If you don't get 28+, take it to the dealer as something is wrong. If you do, then until you get it broken in, I think your driving environment is causing your mileage.

ChuckJ

Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zmoney
+1

Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 AM
mtbscott will become famous soon enoughmtbscott will become famous soon enough
Just did my first fillup last night and the average for my first tank of all city driving was 14.4 mpg. I expect more but new motors are very tight and not efficiency will increase as it gets worn in. I haven't experimented with the start/stop yet but have used 7th gear (MT) on my brief freeway forays.
And ChuckJ, why would Sport mode decrease mileage? AFAIK it just increases the throttle response so unless the driver is flooring the car more because of its "feel" it shouldn't reduce mileage on its own.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
You should take it out on a level highway and push reset on the mileage. Then travel 15 miles at 65 MPH cruise. If you don't get 28+, take it to the dealer as something is wrong. If you do, then until you get it broken in, I think your driving environment is causing your mileage.

ChuckJ
Thanks, sounds like fun excuse to find an empty road and experiment.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by galion
There is nothing in my manual regarding a "comfort pressure" setting, Please, could someone care to elaborate?
It's available only on the TPM option where you can set the control to allow for a lower pressure monitoring.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...mfort-pressure

Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I get around 19 mpg in mainly city driving with a manual gearbox. The car has not reached the 2000 miles mark yet so I am hoping that it may imporve?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Tank Of Gas, Low MPG