Tire balance and spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
speed9 is on a distinguished road
I've never had any luck with spacers!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aljaberh
As the damage was minor, Pirelli recommended me to repair the tire

I performed the balancing twice once at Pirelli and the second at the Porsche dealer

The results are the same, the wheel is fine and the spacers are fine

Means the only cause could be the repaired tire need to be changed

again, you didn't confirm whether or not the wheel/tire was roadforce balanced. Often times a patch can cause a vibration (I hope you used a patch and not a plug!) if you don't road force balance the wheel/tire.

I've had 4 shops balance a tire and I still had a vibration, finally had it properly road force balanced and all was solved. Spacers exacerbate any runout or imbalance such that it makes them move obvious.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM
sportlife2012 is on a distinguished road
spacers on 991

I also have the 5mm factory spacers and had a puncture in one tire which was repaired, rebalanced and there was no vibration issue. I have previously had the same problem you are experiencing and the remedies are:
1:Check that the spacer has no tolerance - the 5mm porsche spacers are NOT hub centric. The wheel hub sits on the remainder of the hub (10mm less 5mm)
2:Rotate the tire on the rim and re-balance by a professional. Compare where the weights of the wheel balanced at the factory and this is where the weight should be placed on your new balanced wheel.
3:High speed wheel balance (if vibration occurs at around 60mph). I am not a big fan of this but it works.
4:Based on my previous experience, I would never buy wheel spacers again and opt for the offset/rim diameter change. The sport techno wheel has a different offset and wheel width that results in a 6mm front and 8mm rear wheel outer face extension. This wheel is sold as an option when you build the car for $1355.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Another trick is to also tighten the wheel down with the car off the ground. That sometimes works to further center a slightly out of center wheel.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
i rebalanced the tire again and everything seems to be perfect

i will consider changing the repaired tire soon as well

Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
i rebalanced the tire again and everything seems to be perfect

i will consider changing the repaired tire soon as well
Good you got it figured out.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
when i took the car for a local/very professional tire shop to get it checked, they did the following:

1) they checked all wheels and they were in great condition.

2) they checked the repaired tire and told me that there is no need to change it at all.

3) they performed a road force balancing, and the big surprise while doing that was :

that the two front tires have a minor manufacturing defect causing the slight vibration

what confuses me more that the repaired tire is the right back tire not one of the front ones

and actually now after the road force balancing the car is very stable and there is no vibration at all, but i think i will take it to the dealer and discuss that with them

Last edited by aljaberh; 06-22-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
ghmkmfhao is on a distinguished road
What caused the flat?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by ghmkmfhao
What caused the flat?
This !

Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
This !

oh, that sucks....

they are replacing the defective tires? right?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by rnl

oh, that sucks....

they are replacing the defective tires? right?
I have to go and check, i guess they should, tires are only 5 months old

Old 06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I have to go and check, i guess they should, tires are only 5 months old

there are no acceptable "minor manufacturing defect causing the slight vibration" in a tire as there are no such minor brake or steering defects that are acceptable.

5 months, 30 months... anything that is d e f e c t i v e should be replaced under warranty.

a while ago one of my other cars developed a shimmy. The tires were balanced. the wheels were true.

I insisted that the tire dealer take the wheels off and check for a high spot on the tire...sure enough, they were out of round - all of them to one degree or another. New tires were prorated and balanced and installed for free.
Don't screw around with tires, there is only a maximum of 3 square feet connecting you and your car with the earth and there is nothing minor about anything that can possibly interfere with that connection.

Last edited by rnl; 06-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM
thanks rnl, will get it checked ASAP, and will update you guys here